2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Jayne here too!!
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning our car was ffrosty so we scrapped the windows and went on our way, listening to the radio (perfect reception), then the rear window started to steam up so Chris turned on the mirror and window de-icer button! ..... and at the precise moment the radio signal went and was just making the crackly hissing noise!!!

I know some people have found that when they get into their cars the rear window automatically de-mists so it would be interesting to see if these people are the people whom have continuous poor quality radio!!!!

Perhaps if everyone reposts here as to where or not they have these problems and we can then see if this is the reason.

·
Jayne here too!!
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So i'll start us off:

We don't have auto rear screen de-mist and our radio is normally fine, until we press the de-mist button!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
Good find, I think the ariel is in the rear screen so it would make sense, maybe the current from the heating element is interfering?

I will check mine later and report back.

Over and out!

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Good find, I think the ariel is in the rear screen so it would make sense, maybe the current from the heating element is interfering?

I will check mine later and report back.

Over and out!
As far as i'm aware its the Diesels that have the auto on feature with the rear window de-mist and as JP states, with the aerial built into the rear screen, it would make sense that it could cause reception issues with a sudden blast of current running thru it, especially if you are in a weaker reception area to start off with.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
As far as i'm aware its the Diesels that have the auto on feature with the rear window de-mist and as JP states, with the aerial built into the rear screen, it would make sense that it could cause reception issues with a sudden blast of current running thru it, especially if you are in a weaker reception area to start off with.
I was under the impression that the top 3 elements were radio only and the others were heater only so should, notice I said 'should', be on a different circuit.

Will check mine later today

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
Sorry to dampen this, but my poor reception was during the winter, spring, summer and autumn.

·
Jayne here too!!
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to dampen this, but my poor reception was during the winter, spring, summer and autumn.
Just a thought but.... does your rear window automatically defrost/demist if so that will be on all year too. :)

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
There isn't any difference with my reception, whether the heater is on or not.
The reception was rubbish, until my Dealer did the software upgrade and it is now vastly improved.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The ariel elements are completely seprate from the screen heater so it's very unlikely turning the heater on will have any effect. If cars used alternating current (which they don't) it would be possible for interference.

It seems that if yu have trouble with reception you are stuck with it. I have had my car since March 2007 and have NEVER had radio reception problems on the standard radio.

One definate solution is to add a DAB tuner via a connects2 (I did this for Planet Rock not because of any issue with the original radio) and an external ariel :D.

i'm sure other posts have mentioned that after a firmware update to the radio it has improved may be worth asking the dealer. Also it could be that there is a bad connectin in the ariel lead somewhere between the HU and the rear screen, now finding that could be fun ;)

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
I had this on another car a while ago. What it as was was a slightly broken heating element that I damaged when I removed the dealers advertising sticker. Its due to bad earthing .Thats the problem with built in screen ariels

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
Just a thought but.... does your rear window automatically defrost/demist if so that will be on all year too. :)

Jayne x
Jayne

The aerial is very separate to the HRW elements (unlike on some cars with rear window aerials) It sound more like you have an earthing problem if the reception dies when you turn the HRW on.

The auto defrost is only at first when the car is cold. The radio reception on mine appeared to be much worse when the radio had been on for a long time (a couple of hours or so) so perhaps was down to a dry joint making a weaker contact when everything warmed up.

I now have a new head unit and the reception is much better and the auto hrw was certainly activated this am and the reception was still fine.

It looks like your car may have to go and visit the dealer:(

Alan

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
My car was at the stealer's recently and I mentioned the radio reception (again). They had previously checked the aerial continuity.

They said that there is a bulletin that refers to installing a second earth. I will get this done at the next service.

·
Registered
75 Posts
our radio reception is very poor indeed. The reception on my mobile phone is better!

Overall i think the radio/sound quality of the civic is poor when you compare it to the focus/golf etc... As for the MP3 attachement we had fitted, it might as well be taken out as it's terrible and the sound is awful (radio sounds 10x better and that's not good either!)

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,546 Posts
Last week during the ice age, when my back window got covered in muck and bullets I used my heated rear window for the first time.

It made absolutely no difference to my reception, which is quite good anyway and certainly no worse than my last car with a proper aerial.

I must be in the lucky minority on this one

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have perfect radio reception - until I turn the HRW on. Just fizz and crackles until you turn the HRW off again. It's going into the dealer tomorrow so will let you know what they do.

Cheers

Rog

·
Jayne here too!!
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We had this sorted by the dealer but its now started again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have perfect radio reception - until I turn the HRW on. Just fizz and crackles until you turn the HRW off again. It's going into the dealer tomorrow so will let you know what they do.

Cheers

Rog
Got my car back. Dealer replaced the rear window (under warranty). All works fine now.

Cheers

Rog

·
Registered
10 Posts
Power socket - radio reception affected

My radio reception is fine until i plugged a phone charger into the power socket in the boot area (thought it would be a good idea to keep phone out of sight and use HFT).
While the phone is charging the radio reception is poor.
Anyone else had this problem?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts