2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The radio in my wife's 58 plate 1.8 SE Civic hatch, was experiencing the all too common, poor radio reception problem, with stations losing tune. As many people have pointed out on this forum, poor earthing of the aerial, contributes to the reception problem. I have improved the reception in my wife's car, by cleaning all of the connections to the aerial amplifier (including the earth). I didn't touch the aerial cable which runs from the back to the front of the car, or the head unit itself.

The aerial amplifier is in the tailgate, on the nearside vertical edge. by the rear window. Getting to it, is a bit of a pain. The two horizontal trim pieces have to be removed first (pulling them towards you with some force, and expect some of the trim clips to stay in the tailgate, rather than coming off with the trim pieces, as they should). You can then remove the nearside vertical trim piece (again some force is required).

I don't have enough posts to include a link to any pictures of the aerial amplifier, but if you Google search for 'Honda Civic Antenna Booster 39155-SMG-E020-M1', you will find plenty.

There are 4 connections to the aerial amplifier:

- 2 wires/connectors coming out of it (which attach to the lugs on the rear screen, for the aerial)
- 1 wire/connector plugging into it (which sends the signal to the head unit)
- 1 earth wire/connector plugging into it, which connects to that little metal lug on the unit itself (like the lugs on the rear screen).

I just unplugged the lot, and cleaned all of the connectors and lugs, with WD-40 Electrical Contact Cleaner Spray (available from Halfords and safe for plastics)

I gave all of the lugs a good wipe with some kitchen roll soaked in the stuff, sprayed it into all of the connectors, dried all of the connectors, then plugged and unplugged all of the connectors a few times (to make certain that there was good contact). This seems to have improved the radio reception a fair bit.

The trim pieces are a lot easier to put back, than they were to get off !

·
Registered
813 Posts
Why is the FM radio reception so poor with my Gen 9 Honda. Once out of the conurbation areas the quality of the reception varies enormously.
I learned to live with it and switch to AM occasionally which is always a bit better, but last week I hired a Fiat on the Outer Hebrides island of Uist and the FM reception was really excellent wherever I went.
Just an observation rather than a cry for help.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,544 Posts
I assume you have a 2012 Civic as my old 2013 one had DAB that was very good ............ but I do live near London.

The only place my DAB signal was lost was a short stretch of road near Forest Row in Sussex.

Reactions: poor1

·
Super Moderator
4,903 Posts
Must have cheap ears as my standard HU and speakers suit me fine.
A £20 Nextbase DAB+ adapter via the AUX port gives me decent radio reception with the odd dead spot that also played up on FM anyway.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,544 Posts
A lot depends on your requirements.

My max volume has always been 14, across 4 standard Honda headunits, which doesn't wake the street and doesn't damage my eardrums.

Some near me must be heading for premature hearing loss as the really loud thumping as they drive past must be even louder inside the vehicle.

Reactions: poor1

·
Super Moderator
4,903 Posts
when I got mine it was some special deal and mines just the 250BT DAB adapter not HFT as I already have the Honda kit installed.
Here are 2 entries for the 350 BT which does HFT as well:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts