2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
everyday i get older
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question as i've had another idea( GO ME)

now i have standard 18's atm with the 40 profile tire.

Now i have either been thinking of powdercoating these or getting rage's as the ctr looks awesome with them.

However i know that changing the wheels will have an affect on acceleration due to the larger rotation of the wheel, whether its noticable or not.

But what if i was to get say 30-35 profile tires fitted, making them about the same size as the 18's with 40 profile, theoretically keeping the same stats..

Would it work???

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Just a quick question as i've had another idea( GO ME)

now i have standard 18's atm with the 40 profile tire.

Now i have either been thinking of powdercoating these or getting rage's as the ctr looks awesome with them.

However i know that changing the wheels will have an affect on acceleration due to the larger rotation of the wheel, whether its noticable or not.

But what if i was to get say 30-35 profile tires fitted, making them about the same size as the 18's with 40 profile, theoretically keeping the same stats..

Would it work???
The Rages tyres have a lower profile anyway, for this very reason.

Rages are also lighter, bringing benefits in it's own right.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Rages may look nicer
but try a test ride in a Ctr with them fitted
before u
buy on roads u would
normally
drive, I have 18" and
the brother has the rages, alot
less grip And feel with the bigger wheels, loss of traction and alot rougher IMO and cost of tyres is higher

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bloody iPhone, making posts come up strange

·
Registered
109 Posts
FYI, Rages make no difference in the acceleration of the car as the Rage alloys are 1Kg per corner lighter than the standard alloys.

IMO though try a set first on another car and I can almost certainly say you won't go for them. They make the car worse in the handling department.

18's are the way forward. Mugen have used them on the concept and thats good enough for me.

Concentrate on perhaps buying a set of ultra light alloys instead to reduce the unsprung weight of the car. It will be better for it.

EvoStu.

·
Wheel Man
169 Posts
I heard the ride quality with the Rages is shocking. The salesman didn't even entertain trying to sell me them cos of that. They're hellish expensive too I thought.

·
Banned
952 Posts
you want them or you dont? aesthetics matter,stick with BOG standard type R wheels if you want.19" wheels compromise any cars handling no matter what make.its all to do with the size of cars these days?they make the cars bigger hence the wheel arch,s are bigger. so big wheels are there to put things in proportion

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
It's a Type-R, the ethos ain't about big wheels at the compromise of handling (whether it be a slight compromise or not) - but the 'brand' rightly or wrongly is I suppose, heading that way.

It's the reason the FN2, IMO, has some of the creature comforts it does - and let's be honest, a lot of the negative press in the eyes of previous model owners too. It's been pitched at a different market, following the success of the EP3. And to appeal to that company/business target, things like the cruise/big wheels etc. are there to add to the look/comfort rather than the pure experience - that cars like the DC2 etc. offered before the 'goodies'.

No the FN2 CTR's not bad, and I acknowledge that the creature comforts are all part of Honda remaining competitve etc. etc. Before this is misconstrued for a dig at someone or another, I own one - and love it (when it's not rattling), suffice to say it is a 'more grown up/mature Type-R' though.

There's no shame in admitting I wanted a set of Rages - they do like nice, but I drove a CTR with them fitted before I was going to part with my papes... And am happy I did, as it helped me make my decision.
And yes, when I was serious about buying a set, I could afford them and was offered a swap + £500 for a used set, and a set new with tyres from the dealers for £850... So that isn't the issue here.. For the Rage owning sceptics! :D

Just to put a scope on things - I'm running two Brand New Takata harnesses at circa £400 a pop (Not asking for your opinions on what I have done or not done to my car - in this thread) - and had my wheels done to match at £250, the maths would suggest that if I really wanted the Rages, It would not have been a problem - plus I have seen sets of Rages going for less than the total of the outlay I have just described.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is this a 'how many times can we mention/criticize the iPhone' thread?? Stop moaning :p

I'd love to hear some people's comments on this who have rages fitted... Is it just a case of getting used to the compromises or are they not as bad as suggested?

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
Love my iPhone buddy, guess I hate me fat fingers :D

No don't get me wrong the Rages look nice, but I'd prefer the surefootedness round the roundabouts and bends... It's not a racing car no, but the handling is what makes this car special - coupled with it's engine/gearbox combo.

I want the wheel bling too - but that doesn't mean Rages. I'll be going for some reputable forged alloys be it: Volks/Grams Lights/Mugens/Works/Advans.. whatever - you can be sure that they'll be 18's and that the bling will hail from the manufacturers reputation as much as the look - that's the plan :D

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Is this a 'how many times can we mention/criticize the iPhone' thread?? Stop moaning :p

I'd love to hear some people's comments on this who have rages fitted... Is it just a case of getting used to the compromises or are they not as bad as suggested?
They are NOT as bad as suggested, you will see the ones that moan usually don't have rages, see the link? :p

The grip situation is probably more down to Yoko's vs Bridgestone on the 18's, the looks of the rages make them worthwhile, I drove with and without rages and whilst the ride is slightly harder, I can't see what all the fuss is about.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yer I know, iPhone cannot be beat! Just made me laugh.

And I gotta say the thing to get me excited would be the mugen alloys being released (ones from uk spec). That would be tempting!

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
The Mugens have been out for a long time now. They are called Mugen GP's and can be had for slightily more than a set of new rages.

Rages aren't the pinnacle of owning a Type-R. Look cool.. Yeah undoubtedly, but there are better wheels out there for handling and looks for more or less the same money; variety is the spice of life, afterall.;)

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
The Mugens have been out ages. They Re called Mugen GP's and can be had for a slightily more than a set of new rages.

Rages aren't the pinnacle of owning a Type-R. Look cool yeah, but there are better wheels out there for handling and looks for more or less the same money.
I don't think anyone is claiming they are the pinnacle of Type-R motoring, but the OP asked opinion on Rages, or Powdercoating standard 18's.

I guess it's preference, personally I prefer Rages to standard 18's, however I do like black powdercoated 18's, not sure about the bogey coloured ones though :p

·
Banned
952 Posts
you are a racing driver? you can tell the difference of what style and make of wheels you have on a car that has only 200bhp???it makes no difference to the normal type R owner.but you seem to be different?your wheels are more FUEL EFFICIENT because they are green.......???

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
Japes the pinnacle comment was basically me validating my decision to comment, despite the fact that I chose not to acquire a set - and in the process try to counter-act the possibility that any of my posts might be misconstrued for moans, which they aren't - if read properly.

As for colour... :razz: Im not keen on the black on black. Takata Green FTW! Check out the Integra and the 350z in my thread. I will be getting mine lowered next month and a bit of negative camber with an FRS will help to get me well on the way to achieiving a similar look - which is just damn-right cool IMO:cool:

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
look Milano what is your gripe buddy - the fact that I had the audacity to do something so lairy? Can't dig the wheels then forget 'em, at the end of the day - I'm running them not you ;).

As for racing, well not seriously no - but I certainly intend to track the car in the new year. What I intend to do or not really isn't subject to your approval, so simmer down.

You appear to have a bee in your bonnet - why because I have placed the emphasis of my prospectve wheel choice on handling? "So smite me, oh mighty smiter" :rolleyes:

·
Geordies!!!!:-):-)
1,839 Posts
Rages may look nicer
but try a test ride in a Ctr with them fitted
before u
buy on roads u would
normally
drive, I have 18" and
the brother has the rages, alot
less grip And feel with the bigger wheels, loss of traction and alot rougher IMO and cost of tyres is higher
i totally agree with parsey.....i have had the 18" and now the rages and they are so different.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts