2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
3281 - 3300 of 3379 Posts

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
Owwww thought u meant on the FK8 lol
No mate, I know every millimeter of the FK8's underside and it's virtually like new. The FN2 I was aware of some rust, specifically the rear torsion beam but not much else besides the usual surface corrosion so not sure what he's referring to.
Hopefully I come back tomorrow with some good news 🤞

·
Super Moderator
4,016 Posts
Wow, changing the fuel filter is a job and half. When you remove the pipes fuel doesn’t go everywhere does it. I’m coming to 75k and reading on here that’s time to change. I am waiting for my blower that I bought Monday gone, still hasn’t arrived, hope I ain’t been duped.
If you come down to Eastbourne I'll take you through it - hour & half max.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
So just got back after seeing it for myself, turns out there's some pretty bad rust in 3 places, 2 of which are not the end of the world. there's the rust on the rear torsion beam, which is actually worse than what I thought and in fact there's already a little hole on the top from the corrosion. The brake lines towards the rear are also in pretty bad shape, they look like they should have started leaking ages ago but are still somehow holding up. Lastly and by far the worst is the sills, they are badly corroded and I'm told this might not be worth repairing. I didn't think the 8th gens had rust issues with the sills, no? Im not really sure what to do now, I've told him to carry on and replace the master brake cylinder anyways but I need to also make a decision whether or not to fix the rust or sell the car, and obviously I don't think anyone would buy it with corroded sills.

Im going back again this evening, he's going to speak with a buddy of his and see how much it would cost to fix and if that's even worth the hassle.
What would you guys do?

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,568 Posts
It’s an hard one, sills are a nightmare and even when you repair it can carry along the sills if not repaired correctly and miss one bit. I have been through this and kept having the sills repaired on my Astra gte till I got fed up and got rid. I was basically putting a plaster over a crack. But if done correctly then I don’t see any issues and can last a few more years if done correctly and treated. But as always it comes down to cost and is it financially viable going forward. I would wait to see what the repair/cost will be also speak to the welder who’s doing the job to see what he thinks and the type of repair to be carried out and the longevity of the repair. Is it just one sill or both that is seeing issues.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
It’s an hard one, sills are a nightmare and even when you repair it can carry along the sills if not repaired correctly and miss one bit. I have been through this and kept having the sills repaired on my Astra gte till I got fed up and got rid. I was basically putting a plaster over a crack. But if done correctly then I don’t see any issues and can last a few more years if done correctly and treated. But as always it comes down to cost and is it financially viable going forward. I would wait to see what the repair/cost will be also speak to the welder who’s doing the job to see what he thinks and the type of repair to be carried out and the longevity of the repair. Is it just one sill or both that is seeing issues.
Yeah that was my gut feeling too, that this could be a nightmare to fix and just a temporary bandaid. It's both sills but the left side is worse. I'm guessing becuase the left side of the car is closest to all the dirt, mud, puddles and whatnot you get on the sides of the road.

He said he's going to speak with someone that could do the job but did tell me to be prepared to part ways with the car as it might not be a viable option or make financial sense to repair. If it can be repaired for a sensible amount and the repair would hold for many years than great. Otherwise I think I might have to let it go...
This is all just really depressing, I had all these plans for the car and thought it would be with me for many many years to come, the car means so much to me. I'm just going to wait and see what they say and let you guys know. What a way to start the week 😟

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
That doesn't sound good, hopefully it won't be too pricey to fix! These cars really don't do well regarding rust, I might keep mine for another year then think about getting rid.

·
Super Moderator
4,016 Posts
Bummer
I had the rear wheels off the 1.8 Friday and tapped the beam with a heavy driver, it rang like a bell so guess that it's integrity is holding up.

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,568 Posts
Yeah that was my gut feeling too, that this could be a nightmare to fix and just a temporary bandaid. It's both sills but the left side is worse. I'm guessing becuase the left side of the car is closest to all the dirt, mud, puddles and whatnot you get on the sides of the road.

He said he's going to speak with someone that could do the job but did tell me to be prepared to part ways with the car as it might not be a viable option or make financial sense to repair. If it can be repaired for a sensible amount and the repair would hold for many years than great. Otherwise I think I might have to let it go...
This is all just really depressing, I had all these plans for the car and thought it would be with me for many many years to come, the car means so much to me. I'm just going to wait and see what they say and let you guys know. What a way to start the week 😟
Feel for you mate, it’s a shame. When rust gets hold it’s a **** to slow it down never mind stopping it, must be pretty bad. If the worst come to the worst I would strip and sell the parts of engine etc, try make of it much as you can. It’s a bloody shame I’m having to say this in the first place. Hopefully the welder can do some magic and give you a couple off year more.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
Just been quoted £450 per side, £900 total 😐
The guy was very nice and explained the issues of guaranteeing the work as it could last many years but it might also start rusting again by the end of winter. So no warranty basically on the repair if I go ahead.

Im not sure yet what to do, feeling rather heartbroken. I would pay to have it fixed but it seems like it could just come back within a short period of time. What would you guys do? Fix it or start breaking the car and selling parts? The car does have a ton of sentimental value though 😟

@JayR35 don't have any pictures yet mate, car is still with the garage. Ill make sure to post some pictures when I see the car again. This morning I was a bit in shock to think straight when he showed me the rust so didn't think to take pics. It's right under the car, in front of the rear wheels. Same area as the torsion beam which is also pretty bad and would need replacing as well as the brake lines.

I think you guys should all check that area thoroughly to make sure rust isn't hiding for you too. It would have been very hard to spot if it hadn't been raised up. Just poking your head under won't be enough really, it's why I missed it completely.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Yikes mate I think all of these are becoming rust buckets now all the more reason I need to get mine sorted before it's to late !

I would say sell the car whole maybe trade it or something

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
When I see the photos il know what your reffering to exactly, did this car live by the sea
Ill make sure to post them up mate 👍 The car has had 3 previous owners, I'm the 4th. Last owner also was from Wisbech, don't know about 2nd owner but the original owner was from Kent. So it could have been a seaside car for it's first 6 years.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Where was it first registered mine is like 7 owners lol god knows where it's been , it's nothing that welding can't fix but a decent professional underseal jobbie asap

All depends if you wanna spank the money and cut your losses you have the FK8 at the end of the day, if it were me I'd look to shell off the FN and use the money to get your FK fully protected

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
Where was it first registered mine is like 7 owners lol god knows where it's been , it's nothing that welding can't fix but a decent professional underseal jobbie asap

All depends if you wanna spank the money and cut your losses you have the FK8 at the end of the day, if it were me I'd look to shell off the FN and use the money to get your FK fully protected
Thats definitely a possibility, could use whatever id get and really go crazy with protection for the FK. I love my FN2 though, it would be really hard letting it go.

I don't know where it was first registered but the first 6 stamps in the service book are from Honda in Kent and there's also a recall it had done there too. Guessing that's where it was for the first 6 years.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Got a text message from my mechanic, apparently he's burning the midnight oil still working at his garage. He's asked me to pop in tomorrow, said that he's found some concerning rust and wants to show me 😕
Hes not sure if it's worth even replacing the master brake cylinder....I'm dreading what he's going to show me....
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

:(

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thats definitely a possibility, could use whatever id get and really go crazy with protection for the FK. I love my FN2 though, it would be really hard letting it go.

I don't know where it was first registered but the first 6 stamps in the service book are from Honda in Kent and there's also a recall it had done there too. Guessing that's where it was for the first 6 years.
if you check mot online does it show them all? how we looked back at sabrinas merc.

clean her up and sell her on, and buy that mugen mate :) im about 40 mins away from teh dealer, ill be your car beyatch :p its build number 69 of 200 too lol just lol, ahh i can almost remember that far back......

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
Oh wow, for 14k that's a bargain! :love: I'm used to seeing them for so much more!
if you check mot online does it show them all? how we looked back at sabrinas merc.

clean her up and sell her on, and buy that mugen mate :) im about 40 mins away from teh dealer, ill be your car beyatch :p its build number 69 of 200 too lol just lol, ahh i can almost remember that far back......
No mention on the MOT for rust at all, tyres and brakes in the past but that's pretty much it.
Might have a look at that Mugen, if I have to get rid of mine then this would fill that hole nicely!

3281 - 3300 of 3379 Posts