2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
3301 - 3320 of 3379 Posts

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,568 Posts
Just been quoted £450 per side, £900 total 😐
The guy was very nice and explained the issues of guaranteeing the work as it could last many years but it might also start rusting again by the end of winter. So no warranty basically on the repair if I go ahead.

Im not sure yet what to do, feeling rather heartbroken. I would pay to have it fixed but it seems like it could just come back within a short period of time. What would you guys do? Fix it or start breaking the car and selling parts? The car does have a ton of sentimental value though 😟

@JayR35 don't have any pictures yet mate, car is still with the garage. Ill make sure to post some pictures when I see the car again. This morning I was a bit in shock to think straight when he showed me the rust so didn't think to take pics. It's right under the car, in front of the rear wheels. Same area as the torsion beam which is also pretty bad and would need replacing as well as the brake lines.

I think you guys should all check that area thoroughly to make sure rust isn't hiding for you too. It would have been very hard to spot if it hadn't been raised up. Just poking your head under won't be enough really, it's why I missed it completely.
Unfortunately, dont want to sound a knob, but sentimental does not keep money in your pocket. You have to weigh the pros and cons up and be harsh, think with your head not your heart. I know you don’t want to here this but your are in a very very fortunate position of having another quality good car, if that was me I would be wiped out and up the **** creek without a paddle with finance still on my car. £950 just to sort the rust, then to treat, then you got the torsion beam to sort, brake cables, can the list go on and the price go up and up. It’s gutting I know but you sometimes have to cut your losses and run.
I know how you feel, I really do, I treated my Astra 2times for rusted sills because I could just not let it go, £800 back then and was a lot of money but I could just not let go, gutting does not describe what I felt. But gutting sentimental robbed me of a fair bit of money that just prolonged the inevitable.
But if it was me I would treat it and try keep it running for another 3-4 years if possibletill I had paid my finance, but I’m in a different position to you and couldn’t afford another car so £950 to shelling out a few grand of another motor would make sense to me.

·
Registered
679 Posts
thing is also, £900 now, what if theres more inbound, it is sadly a fact with 10 year old cars also, especially thanks to our grit situ.

sometimes you just have to shine her up and punt them on, brutal sometimes but as Hemmingway rightly says, your head has to step in now, you have to make the call stick or twist, and act on it and dont look back on whatever way you choose.

and bud, you never sound like a knob :) thats silly talk, you even being concerned by it, shows you aint :) its a bit liek being mad, if your asking yourself, have i gone mad?

No because if you had, you would be painting the room with your poo and not asking yourself that :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
14k tho for a Mugen that's FK2 territory not worth it in my opinion, other than a few styling bits it's essentially a normal FN2

You could buy CW for 8k, 3k for a Frankenstein conversion so now you have a 2.4, 1k for Mugen styling bits and still have change left over

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
Unfortunately, dont want to sound a knob, but sentimental does not keep money in your pocket. You have to weigh the pros and cons up and be harsh, think with your head not your heart. I know you don’t want to here this but your are in a very very fortunate position of having another quality good car, if that was me I would be wiped out and up the **** creek without a paddle with finance still on my car. £950 just to sort the rust, then to treat, then you got the torsion beam to sort, brake cables, can the list go on and the price go up and up. It’s gutting I know but you sometimes have to cut your losses and run.
I know how you feel, I really do, I treated my Astra 2times for rusted sills because I could just not let it go, £800 back then and was a lot of money but I could just not let go, gutting does not describe what I felt. But gutting sentimental robbed me of a fair bit of money that just prolonged the inevitable.
But if it was me I would treat it and try keep it running for another 3-4 years if possibletill I had paid my finance, but I’m in a different position to you and couldn’t afford another car so £950 to shelling out a few grand of another motor would make sense to me.
First of all you don't sound like a knob 😆 it's not what I wanted to hear but what I actually needed to hear, you're totally right and it's actually smacked some sense into me. Its best I cut my losses rather than spend money on a temporary fix. You've also been through this and it wasn't a permanent fix either. I know the sensible decision is to move on 😟 heartbreaking...
Thanks bud 👍

·
Registered
679 Posts
agree but the rarity of 200 in existence usually sees them go for 2x what they asking for.

still pretty as a pretty thing, wish betty was that subtle :p

·
Registered
679 Posts
First of all you don't sound like a knob 😆 it's not what I wanted to hear but what I actually needed to hear, you're totally right and it's actually smacked some sense into me. Its best I cut my losses rather than spend money on a temporary fix. You've also been through this and it wasn't a permanent fix either. I know the sensible decision is to move on 😟 heartbreaking...
Thanks bud 👍
My local Honda still has the 16 plate NSX in White/Black........:p:eek:

Tell em i sent you, should do a deal lol £93k was last price.

·
Registered
679 Posts
£93k? Pffff pocket money! 🤣 Haha I wish mate!!
Maybe once that lottery winnings come through though 🤔😆
it was utterly breathtaking.

tbh i nearly dropped by to look at a 69 plate supra local Toyota garage has (silver ofc), but hmm nah not even going to look at it.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,086 Posts
Yep, I need to know what area you are saying, think most are shitting their pants 😂 at mo and when the see the pics of the area will be under their car faster than a rat up a drain pipe.
Don't worry guys, I promise I'll take pictures and show you all exactly where it is 👌 Hopefully none of you have anything like it and it's just becuase mine might have been a seaside car

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Luckily I got mine off the original owner from Epson so mine hasn't been by the sea for a long period. Hopefully my sills are ok, I haven't had a proper look but didn't notice them going bad, so will be interesting to see where yours are going.
If only he knew how to care for the paint 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Ey up @Rover3, how’s you today after the crappy news yesterday. Been to see the car at all today? What are your views today concerning the car, because I know what I was like for ever questioning myself of what to do, chopping and changing my mind of the way forward

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Think I have been duped concerning my blower for the car, I bought it last Monday and it’s still hasn’t arrived🤔paid £60 for it and paid through PayPal. It was advertised as breaking fn2 on eBay, posed the question to the seller for the blower, asked them to post on eBay so I could by it, reply was it would be cheaper paying through PayPal than eBay. In contact with various phone messages so paid through P/P. I will give it to end of week but hold no hope for it turning up.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Still no update on charger

My concern is that the battery will run flat and it's no good for car to be standing this length of time

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Think I have been duped concerning my blower for the car, I bought it last Monday and it’s still hasn’t arrived🤔paid £60 for it and paid through PayPal. It was advertised as breaking fn2 on eBay, posed the question to the seller for the blower, asked them to post on eBay so I could by it, reply was it would be cheaper paying through PayPal than eBay. In contact with various phone messages so paid through P/P. I will give it to end of week but hold no hope for it turning up.
You will have PayPal buyer protection post has been taking the mick lately

I posted the rear brake light and indicator oem lights a week ago only to be chasing parcel Force and surprise surprise today it was delivered, albeit back to me! I clearly wrote TO and SENDER in block capitals which they clearly didn't read !!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
You will have PayPal buyer protection post has been taking the mick lately

I posted the rear brake light and indicator oem lights a week ago only to be chasing parcel Force and surprise surprise today it was delivered, albeit back to me! I clearly wrote TO and SENDER in block capitals which they clearly didn't read !!
Yeah will see, like I said, Give it till end off week. They might not have taken it of car when I paid and taken them a couple of days to sort it

3301 - 3320 of 3379 Posts