2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1081 - 1100 of 1555 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Cheers bros I've ordered the brake light bulbs I ordered both so Will probs swap out both as can't be asked to swap one than the other goes

Quick question: if I already have wax on the car will the Polish then work?

Am I better off washing with G3 to strip it than start over

Also I'm polishing by hand what's the difference between megiuars polish and ultimate compound??

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
@Diddles1987 how long did you say to wait before you can detail your wing? I think you said not do anything with it for a bit. How did you clean it

Also when you removed that oem spoiler was it full of crap underneath and did you notice any water in there ?

Cheers

·
Registered
410 Posts
Cheers bros I've ordered the brake light bulbs I ordered both so Will probs swap out both as can't be asked to swap one than the other goes

Also I'm polishing by hand what's the difference between megiuars polish and ultimate compound??
This might sound strange but wash it with fairy liquid to strip any wax/polish that has been applied previously, you will then have a clean wax free surface to work on, meguiers compound removes light scratches and scuffs its more aggressive than the polish.

·
Registered
488 Posts

Wash the car, then remove all the contaminats (iron removers and clay bar) before compounding or you'll scratch the paint if you don't.
The compound will remove all the swirl marks, scuffs and any wax/sealants, will also remove paint oxidation it gets from being outside (hopefully return it to the original colour). Meguiars Ultimate works well on the red paint, microfiber pads are good for this, dampen the pad before using and while using.
Then apply the wax/sealants after.

·
Super Moderator
3,668 Posts
Have you noticed any improvement using an aftermarket filter mate? Mine states it also needs to be oiled up which has me a bit worried 😂
Try an HKS foam filter and see what you think.
It's dry but can be washed out when it's dirty in washing up liquid and left to dry before putting back.
I've got one in the FN2 and can't say it improves performance but maybe gives a little more intake noise.

·
Registered
966 Posts
@Diddles1987 how long did you say to wait before you can detail your wing? I think you said not do anything with it for a bit. How did you clean it

Also when you removed that oem spoiler was it full of crap underneath and did you notice any water in there ?

Cheers
You can clean it normally just don't wax it for a couple of months. I used detail spray on it after I think its just something like wax could react but not sure.
Yeah there was a bit of **** under the spoiler and the spoiler was full of water, just drilled a small hole in it to drain it.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
555 Posts

When was the wax applied mate? If it's still fresh then it will be a bit more of a pain to remove. Dish washing soap can help weaken Wax's and sealants but only if we're talking about non fresh wax. There are dedicated Decon shampoos like garage therapy Decon and chemical guys clean slate that do a better job (dish soap is a bit harsh and not great for paint unless you have nothing else).

Compounding and polishing the paint will remove LSP's btw but it will clog up your pads and take longer. G3 would be better than dish soap in my opinion, claying it afterwards would also weaken the wax a tad more.
And as others have said, ultimate compound is a more aggressive than the polish.
Polish = light swirls and defects and increasing gloss - shine (finishing step prior to wax)
Compound= more aggressive, will remove heavier scratches and oxidization (when used with the right pads) but could leave a slight haze (hence if you use compound, finish it off with the polish).

I've done cars by hand and it can be a nightmare, it takes ages to get real results and a lot of pressure to remove defects (and really tiring). Do you have an orbital polisher? I've got my old one laying around with several different pads if you'd like? It really makes paint correction so much easier and you get much better results. It's just sitting gathering dust and I was going to throw it out.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
555 Posts
Try an HKS foam filter and see what you think.
It's dry but can be washed out when it's dirty in washing up liquid and left to dry before putting back.
I've got one in the FN2 and can't say it improves performance but maybe gives a little more intake noise.
Might have a look into that, who doesn't love a bit more intake noise 😄

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
It's a minefield this detailing business lol

I used dish soap last time then used the zip turtle wash and wax all in one solution

I went halfords earlier their stocks are depleted!

Might just try again, dish soap with cannon rinse it off then snow foam, megiuars gold class , then try the compound on a panel and see how I get on

My bonnet is wrapped so that's one less panel to worry about. I got alot of time unfortunately don't have the polishing machine would probs be a good investment il give it a swirl, I mean a go 😆

·
Super Moderator
3,668 Posts
also a license to print money.

I will be keeping it simple, you'll see the result at SJ.

I have given the FN2 a hard hit with AG SRP. I used Autofinesse citrus blast to clean the surface panel by panel and then rinsed it carefully. Dried it and polished it as I went round.
Got rid of the worst swirls but I'm not looking for concours paintwork.
Then it's had 2 coats of AG rapid ceramic spray.

for washing it will get a rinse, polar blast then a dry off, that should be all it needs for 3 months before another coat of ceramic - we'll see.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
555 Posts

I used dish soap last time then used the zip turtle wash and wax all in one solution

I went halfords earlier their stocks are depleted!

Might just try again, dish soap with cannon rinse it off then snow foam, megiuars gold class , then try the compound on a panel and see how I get on

My bonnet is wrapped so that's one less panel to worry about. I got alot of time unfortunately don't have the polishing machine would probs be a good investment il give it a swirl, I mean a go 😆
I've got my old orbital polisher mate that's sitting gathering dust, I don't have any use for it any more as I purchased a new one recently and was going to throw it out. I've got the compounding and polishing pads for it too, it's yours mate, I'll bring it to SJ 👍
Will make paint correction so much easier than the dreaded hand polishing

Save yourself the headache of trying to hand compound and polish the car! 😆

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
555 Posts
also a license to print money.

I will be keeping it simple, you'll see the result at SJ.

I have given the FN2 a hard hit with AG SRP. I used Autofinesse citrus blast to clean the surface panel by panel and then rinsed it carefully. Dried it and polished it as I went round.
Got rid of the worst swirls but I'm not looking for concours paintwork.
Then it's had 2 coats of AG rapid ceramic spray.

for washing it will get a rinse, polar blast then a dry off, that should be all it needs for 3 months before another coat of ceramic - we'll see.
Yup, it's hideously expensive. I don't even want to tally up how much I've spent in products and tools to detail over the years, I'd probably have a heart attack 😆

How would you rate the AG rapid ceramic spray? Any good? I've heard it's good as a top coat over existing ceramic coatings

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
555 Posts
You guys will put me to shame I hope it's overcast 😂
Unless you have a concourse level show car it will have swirls, scuffs etc 😆 Mines far from perfect, I've got rock chips that the previous owner filled in with a white touch up pen that was several shades too bright And the obligatory swirls here and there 😂
Don't be too hard on yourself!

1081 - 1100 of 1555 Posts