2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday evening, as I was outside in the yard getting some coal in to feed the fire, the dog was doing everything he could to get my attention and was going bananas staring, whining and smelling the bonnet of the car.

I opened the bonnet and, lo and behold, there was a rat, just calmly sitting on top of the engine. It didn't even scurry away in fear, it just quietly stood there looking at me and twitching its nose. I propped the bonnet up and it leisurely strolled below the engine and out of sight.

I didn't want the rat to remain there as they can be extremely destructive. I started the engine in the hope that it would scare the rat away. When I hit the starter button initially there was a jolt, followed by a thud. Then, the engine turned over and started normally.

I reversed back and the rat was lying dead on the drive.

I cannot see any obvious damage, but the car needs to be checked over to make sure it did not damage any wiring, hoses or belts. I reckon it must have been caught in one of the belts. It was clearly killed instantly. It is not obvious looking at the rat to determine the cause of death as the dog was furiously biting it and throwing it up in the air afterwards, so the marks on the rat may not necessarily have been caused by the car.

Terrestrial animal Grass Muroidea Adaptation Muridae

Of course the dog immediately got hold of it and tried to take it away, but we managed to get it off of him. These rats can carry diseases.

The local dealer wanted £55 to check it over. I thought this was a bit much given that their hourly rate is £75. I queried this as I thought this should only really take 20-30 minutes, which they agreed was about right, but they have a minimum charge. However, it is due a service in January anyway, so in the end I have brought the service forward by a month, which should make little difference, and everything can be checked out then. It's going in tomorrow.

I can't see any obvious damage, but it is very difficult to do a thorough check without having the vehicle up on a ramp as visibility of most of the belts is severely restricted.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Honda kills rats. Instantly! :cool:

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Im glad my ex girlfriend got what she deserved! :-D

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
A rat trap with VTEC, now that is cool, although a little on the expensive side and impractical if you are trying to get rid of rats in the house. :-D

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
Look at the face of the thing! LOL!!!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
:D There was a cat thread along these lines not so long ago - unfortunately the cat was putrified in the wheelarch [smilie=puking.gif]

·
Registered
17 Posts
...It was clearly killed instantly. It is not obvious looking at the rat to determine the cause of death as the dog was furiously biting it and throwing it up in the air afterwards, so the marks on the rat may not necessarily have been caused by the car.

Of course the dog immediately got hold of it and tried to take it away, but we managed to get it off of him. These rats can carry diseases.

The local dealer wanted £55 to check it over. I thought this was a bit much given that their hourly rate is £75.
My first thought when I read that was, the vet would've been a better place to start. Probably wouldn't be any cheaper though.

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
lol blimey is right..

lets report you to the rspca haha oj...

lets hope there are no damage in the engine!!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
So that's the source of all the rattles... ;)

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Must have been caught \ hit by a drive belt or pulley, so I wouldn't expect any damage from the impact (rat soft - engine parts hard !) ...

So that's the source of all the rattles ... ;)
  • It was a CTRat, wasn't it ? ...
  • Lucky it was ejected, otherwise it would have been ratatouille
  • Standing under the bonnet, sniffing petrol, rat-arsed, was it ?

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
It's that famous Honda RATtle that we all keep hearing.
At least you've RATified the problem.
No more SQUEEEEEEEKS from your struts.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very good, all of you! Guitaralmond, you are welcome, but I am still a bit confused. What was your ex doing climbing all over my engine?

The good news is no damage, no chewed wiring or anything like that. The bad news is that I need 4 new brake pads. The car is 4 years old and they are all the original pads, so I suppose that's not bad going really.

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
That is one vindictive rat, imagine wrecking your brake pads before you killed it....

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Could be worse, I hit a fox at 60 mph in my previuos car!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts