2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

Just joined, had a read through and can't pinpoint my answer.

2010 civic type r gt fn2

Bit of a back story,
Owned the car 4 years and usually quite on it but due to "lockdown" I've overlooked the car.

Car started rattling at the front, thought originally it was dashboard etc as cars now 11 years old
Turns out engine had run low on oil (light hadn't come on) due to my lack of attention, finally got round to checking it topping it up (4.6l needed)
Now the car has a rattle between 3000 and 5000 revs.
Doing a engine flush tomorrow and putting castrol edge (what I usually use) into it but doubt this will actually do anything.

Any pointers where to start looking.. And any suggestions as to what could be the problem??

Cheers guys

·
Registered
664 Posts
Wow, it needed 4.6 litres, so it was empty! I'm guessing the rattle is bottom end. A video would confirm it but sounds like the engine is scrap! A rebuild will be needed and it will be very expensive.
If its sounds like this it's bad news.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you elaborate on bottom end please bud, not mechanically minded.
Looked on YouTube and sounds like..
But don't see how oil would make that happen

Cheers for the reply 👍

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, it needed 4.6 litres, so it was empty! I'm guessing the rattle is bottom end. A video would confirm it but sounds like the engine is scrap! A rebuild will be needed and it will be very expensive.
If its sounds like this it's bad news.
Brilliant that helps a bit, I'll try get a video tomorrow but might just be that, if so time for a new car

·
Registered
664 Posts
That's just valve clearances in that video.

If the car has been run with no oil in it, it won't last long and will cause serious damage.
If you have been driving it long enough without checking the oil and it's run out completely damage will be done and irreversible without replacing major engine parts.

The oil lubricates and cools all the moving parts in the engine, without it the parts will wear out and over heat. Oil is like the engine blood without it, it won't function for long.

If you try and get a video of your car, we could help more.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Appreciate you answering mate, any rough idea on cost if it is bottom end?
No idea, but it would probably be in the thousands, a second hand engine would be cheaper, that's if it's that, but running with low oil let alone no oil it's probably pretty serious.

·
Registered
Milano Red Fn2
427 Posts
Ouch mate 😳 had this happen to me on a previous motor after the muppet who serviced it forgot to refill the oil, agree with @Diddles1987 if it’s the bottom end bearings then it could cost thousands to put right ☹ Better to look for a recon engine if you plan on keeping the car, still pricey but you’ll get a warranty etc and loads of places deal with the K20 as it’s a popular choice with builders/tuners 👍🏻

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it is bottom end I'll have no interest in it tbh, I'll probably look to get rid.
Was starting to look around just bad timing, all depends how much its going to cost vs what someone would pay in current condition.

·
Registered
Milano Red Fn2
427 Posts
Feel your pain mate, I let the garage I got mine from fit a recon engine after the bottom end went but the car never felt the same again ☹ Really good Fn2’s still go for upwards of £8k, suppose it all depends on overall condition of the car etc.. if she’s a low mileage minter I’d be tempted to go for a recon, if she’s a high mileage daily hack like mine I’d cut my losses and look for a replacement 👍🏻 Each to their own I suppose but personally I’d miss the Fn2, there’s just something about it you don’t get with more modern cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Know your pain there mate
Apart from a car park ding by drivers door she's in great condition
78k miles full Honda history
Picture attached below

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
wtf needed 4.6litres of oil?! That surely can't be right?! How did it get to that point, did you have a leak or something?!

As that's basically it's entire oil capacity...

Each to their own I suppose but personally I’d miss the Fn2, there’s just something about it you don’t get with more modern cars.
Isn't the FN2 essentially the last of the high revving NA performance engines? Everyone has gone and is turbo now. I can see the FN2 holding fast in used values.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope no leak, at all and 4.6l is correct
Used it all since last mot/service which was June 2020
Hence why I'm on here a bit miffed with it overall

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
As someone else said they must have not filled it up at the last service which is utterly shocking... I like to look at the fresh oil on the dipstick and other new bits when I pay for a service but that's a little odd and I don't blame anyone else for not doing that!

Maybe change the oil and see how things go, don't sell it on as a working car to another private owner as that's immoral but maybe off load it to WeBuyAnyCar :unsure:

A friend at work drove his Zafira with a completely dry dipstick, even said to us "MY CAR IS MAKING WEIRD NOISES, WHAT DO I DO?!". The first thing we said to him was to stop being a moron and go to the petrol station for some oil, he even wanted to drive there and we told him to walk :LOL: This was a few years ago and as far as I know the car still lives, although a [email protected] Vauxhall Zafira will likely be run on far looser tolerances than an FN2 so it could probably take the abuse...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd hope Honda did the job as used them for 7 years but... Yeah.. Can't say they did or didn't sadly.
Wouldn't sell it on to anyone without full disclosure of why I'm selling it, always been honest, hence me trying to find out on here lol.
Engine flush and oil tomorrow, can only hope

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
When was it actually last serviced?

Could try and dispute it with Honda but they might laugh you away if it isn't anything other than a few days after servicing...

Not even sure you would need to flush it, just put good quality oil in it and see what happens.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The engine wouldn't have lasted an hour with out oil let alone almost a year. These can go through oil especially if driven in high rpm.

What a shame looks like a lovely car, same as mine but mines a bit less mileage but on an 07 plate, so no xenon's or LSD. I sure you would still get a couple of grand for it even with it needing an engine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts