2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I know we've all had rattles in our FN2's! after six months I finally isolated mine;

Symptom; A squeaking noise that sounded a lot like a wire scratching on plastic. The noise was occasional, but occurred when going over a bump or when the engine was particular warm.
Several friends and mechanics couldnt quite locate where the noise was originating.

False hopes; the window screen crackle - not the case for mine. The dash and connecting plastics ( i treated with silicon spray). First trip to the honda dealer - basically did nothing.

Cure; on a particularly noisy ride, I decided to bash the windscreen with my hand - this recreated the rattle noise, I could then trace it to the ceiling felt of the car, and then stop it by simply pushing the felt up. Therefore, I took it the dealer again, warmed the car up and recreated the noise. It was then fixed by removing the felt roof and putting foam sound proofing up.

dealer; mentioned often the felt and particularly the mic's in the handsfree set do this. also, that they've had more cases of the windscreen rattling, and on occasion falling out!!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I get this noise in my ES i will be looking into that today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a noise in mine that sounded like the screen was going to fall out. But thanks to a stone chip, a cold night, a crack, then a visit to autoglass the problem has now been solved!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Something honda likes to give us owners for free LOL, I am sure skoda must have some faults too. But ilike octavia i actaully looked at one before the civic but coulndt afford it lol ah well maybe in 3 years time lol

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
The roof lining above my head does just the same. Only owned the civic for two days now and this along with my squeaky dash plastic is driving me nuts. LOVE the car, it is simply awesome, but these irritating noises really are taking the edge off my enjoyment! Thanks for putting this up, any idea how much it would cost to sort out on a CTR out of warrenty? Just spent all my money on the car :s

·
WARRIOR
2,107 Posts
The roof lining above my head does just the same. Only owned the civic for two days now and this along with my squeaky dash plastic is driving me nuts. LOVE the car, it is simply awesome, but these irritating noises really are taking the edge off my enjoyment! Thanks for putting this up, any idea how much it would cost to sort out on a CTR out of warrenty? Just spent all my money on the car :s
if you bought the car from a Honda dealership you will have a 1 year warranty:D

·
more torque than the mrs
6,793 Posts
very annoying these squeaks and rattles, i have a squeak now and then but just cant be bothered to find it,its a shame because i chose honda for its build quality my brother as the impreza wrx 57 plate and he showed me his interior its the same build quality its diabolical ,i am thinking of taking the honda badge off and putting a rover badge on in its place.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I got it from a very nice guy called Vince who was a forum member on here.. Can't fault the car, he took care of it like it was his child :) . Gotta say I didn't notice these squeaks on the test drive so they seem to have developed recently. I can just about bare the odd noises the roof lining makes but my dash is beyond annoying now. Just been in to my local Honda dealership who quoted me £57 to take the dash apart and put some felt tape or something in between the plastic parts. Think I'm going to see what I can do this weekend myself and if I have no luck I'll get them to do it... not too keen on pulling things apart myself :)

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
MilanoRed - Did your dealership mention that they had seent his before? Mine claimed to have never heard of it happening. I was hoping (after having read this thread) that they would suggest replacing the lining as you did.... no such luck :(

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Unlike Honda to make a car that rattles ... NOT

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Haha, I still have a 1999 306 xs which has absolutely no squeaks or rattles... I actually commented yesterday that as things are I might hang on to it :s . I've just gently wedged some felt between the plastic fascia and the rev meter perspex to try and resolve this squeak. Gonna take it for a run after this cuppa tea, I'll report my findings haha

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Good luck, however getting into the dashboard isn't hard and you can do it yourself and fit some felt or foam. Save yourself the money.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I got it from a very nice guy called Vince who was a forum member on here..
Welcome dude. I used to hook up with Vince now and again for a drive with some other local owners. In fact, I've driven your car! You're right, Vince took great care of it. You got a good deal there mate.

Maybe see you around some time?

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Ahhh yeah, hello mate, Vince did mention you to me. Showed me some pictured you guys had taken :)
Also mentioned you were into your music?
I do feel like I robbed him a bit but I gave him what he was asking so i guess we're both winners :) . He's welcome to take her out whenever he comes back so hopefully he'll keep in contact.
As far as seeing me around goes I'm not in your neck of the woods too often but if you give me the heads up when you have a meet or whatever then I'll hop up for sure!

On the subject of the squeaks: I tried wedging some felt in there today but it didnt really work, so on Sat I'm going in! [smilie=nolikey.gif]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Lol glad to hear I've still got permission to take my baby out for a drive:) I'll be back in August and will probably hire a Type R for a couple of weeks and we can have a South Mimms meet (you can see how much I'm missing it by the fact I'm still on these forums!). Tom, take your car to Anil at Brayley Honda when you get it serviced and ask him to have a look at the rattle...he will get you a good deal mate and may even do it for free. I didn't even notice there was a rattle there I'm sorry but I'm sure Anil will sort it out for you...if you can't wait 2 months for the service just give him a call and explain the situation to him and say Vince said he'd take care of you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts