2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi.
My car has this really annoying rattle that i have been trying to find the cause for almost a year.

I have checked and removed almost all heatshields, checked every nook and cranny. Today i accidentally dropped a screwdriver onto my radiator, and a rattle was heard!!

It seems to originate from the plastic frame that holds the fans in place on the radiator it self. the screws holding them in place are tight, and im at loss figuring out how to make them sit tight against the radioator again..

Anyone else who has rattle from this area when you shake the radiator?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As far as i know, no work has been done to the radiator in the past. Maybe the plastic frame it self has warped some how, making it touch the radiator. Perhaps if i get some washers between the bolt and frame, i will be able to push it just far enough out, so that the rattle stop. Would greatly appreciate if anyone can check if their radiator makes a rattle when shaken. Im almost 100% sure that this is the rattle that has been driving me crazy on cold starts. Lol

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
Some shrouds are fitted with rubber spacers/washers, so your suggestion is a worth a try.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That could be the case! Will have to do some research. How close to the radiator should the frame be? Im guessing that if its a few mm off, it should not affect the cooling to a big degree.

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
Check the Lings website for an exploded diagram for your model/year.

A slight gap won't make much difference and is definitely worth a try.

If the gap concerns you then run some foam tape around the edge of the shroud.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good suggestion mate! Will have a go tomorrow and give you an update! :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a look yesterday and tried yo fit washers to give the plastic some space, but it still rattles pretty bad when shaken. As far as i can tell, it would be a big job to dismantle the fant entirety, even though they are slottet i to place at the bottom, and then just bolted on at the top.

It's also very difficult to exactly pinpoint where the plastic actually hits the radioator since it's really little from in the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I had this get a zip tie and get the exppansion hose and attach it to the top hose?, ill try and get a pic, basically you are just rasing it a bit as it transfers the noise. I did that and the noise went well quitened it.

Its vibration running down the expansion hose basically and making the shroud vibrate.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh? Pictures would be great man! Maybe i have missed that as a source of my rattle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts