2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Got an annoying rattle (actually sounds more like a popping) which is pretty much constant coming from the right rear seat belt pillar trim area.

I've tried pulling and pushing the trim (see the attached picture, i've pulled the trim away around that area quite a bit) and it did solve it for a while but now it's back :(.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a rattle around that area and how they solved it?

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I have had this issue but mine was a squeek, removed rear trim and used foam tape on areas where the trim touched the body work. Have you recently moved the seat or unclipped any of the panels?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Hi,

Got an annoying rattle (actually sounds more like a popping) which is pretty much constant coming from the right rear seat belt pillar trim area.

I've tried pulling and pushing the trim (see the attached picture, i've pulled the trim away around that area quite a bit) and it did solve it for a while but now it's back :(.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a rattle around that area and how they solved it?

Cheers,
Loose trim clip behind the panel perhaps? I think the only way to really solve will be get the panel off.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had this issue but mine was a squeek, removed rear trim and used foam tape on areas where the trim touched the body work. Have you recently moved the seat or unclipped any of the panels?
Was hoping I wouldn't need to remove the trim - is it difficult?

And no, I haven't ever unclipped any of the panels. Seats have been moved but only when I was trying to work out what the noise was!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Easy to remove but be gentle, remove the door seal and unclip the lower panel working your way to the back of the car, dropping the rear seat will help.

The upper part with the seat belt attached can be removed but you will need to pull the boot seal off and you will also need to unclip the front trim upper part, pull out and down as the tirm tucks into the roof. Some of the trim is moulded togeather near the air bag. You will need to remove the rear seat belt to get this bit off.

1) Have you checked that the puncture repair kit is not the cause.
2) Also put some tape around the metal bracket the seat lock into.
3) Check the bottom of the seat is locked into the base

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Easy to remove but be gentle, remove the door seal and unclip the lower panel working your way to the back of the car, dropping the rear seat will help.

The upper part with the seat belt attached can be removed but you will need to pull the boot seal off and you will also need to unclip the front trim upper part, pull out and down as the tirm tucks into the roof. Some of the trim is moulded togeather near the air bag. You will need to remove the rear seat belt to get this bit off.

1) Have you checked that the puncture repair kit is not the cause.
2) Also put some tape around the metal bracket the seat lock into.
3) Check the bottom of the seat is locked into the base

Hope this helps
Thanks,

I've already taped the metal bracket near the seat for another rattle. I'll check puncture repair kit and the bottom of the seat.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I have spent weeks looking for rattles sometime, my wife thinks i'm obsessed but it always the little things that annoy me. This car is a lot better built than the Volvo C30R I had before it as that sounded like a bag of spanners rattling everytime i went over a bump.

You may have to spend some time investigating it, drop the seat and try that or remove the parcel shelf, you never know what it could be... I had a squeek about about a month ago and i thought it was the rear shock but turned out to be the exhaust mount, sprayed the mount and the squeek has gone.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I copied this from a previous couple of posts I made, good luck

James

I discovered that the rear seats click/creak due to the foam in the top of the seat backs becoming compressed where it slams against the plastic mouldings on either side, to diagnose this drive arround with the seats down, if it goes quiet, to confirm put some cloth between the seat backs and the area where it meets the plastic with the seats back up. I ended up putting 1/2" foam inside the rear seat covers in this area.... Another one gone!
Hope this helps

Hi Justa
Picture attached, this is the near side rear seat folded flat, the corner I have put a line across goes against the plastic 'shelf' that supports the parcel shelf, where the foam in this area has become compressed it allows the seat to rattle and creak in its catch.
Hope this helps

James
Attached Thumbnails

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I'll check that out although I while ago I did drive with the seats down and I didn't notice any difference :(

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Just remembered I developed a rattle from the area you are talking about but in the roof lining just behind and to the driver side of the rear roof light. sit in the back and tap the roofing around the area you think is coming from. I found a plastic part of the roof lining was rattling against the metal roof, packed it out and noise went.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i had exactly the same noise coming from mine and did that fix to get rid of it too haha got to love honda rattles!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yep. Had this. Pulled off all the interior plastics on that side, spent countless hours on this. I even had someone drive the car for over 40 minutes while I sat in the back looking for this rattle.

Ended up getting desperate and just shoving a bunched up towel there and it got rid of it! Have now found some foam that sort of matches the colour of our interior. Will be sticking this there permanently fairly soon.

This is your rattle IF the rattle is apparent when you hit bumps or road imperfections (or even just going over a speed bump at an angle!). If it's a constant rattle (like from music) them this probably isn't your issue however it's worth a crack anyway.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Yep. Had this. Pulled off all the interior plastics on that side, spent countless hours on this. I even had someone drive the car for over 40 minutes while I sat in the back looking for this rattle.

Ended up getting desperate and just shoving a bunched up towel there and it got rid of it! Have now found some foam that sort of matches the colour of our interior. Will be sticking this there permanently fairly soon.

This is your rattle IF the rattle is apparent when you hit bumps or road imperfections (or even just going over a speed bump at an angle!). If it's a constant rattle (like from music) them this probably isn't your issue however it's worth a crack anyway.
Luckly when I had my carpets fitted in my house i had loads of left over underlay. I have been using this to pack out every where i have had a rattle. Car is very quiet now apart from the boot lid, must be a cable in there rattling

·
Registered
191 Posts
Luckly when I had my carpets fitted in my house i had loads of left over underlay. I have been using this to pack out every where i have had a rattle. Car is very quiet now apart from the boot lid, must be a cable in there rattling
Yeah I felt really happy with the fact my Civic is one of the few with no rattle issues everywhere! That was the only rattle that ever developed. Hopefully the last!

Regarding the boot lid, have you tried adjusting the 2 little rubber stoppers? You can twist them to make them come out more. This cures most peoples boot rattles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts