2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a mysterious rattle from behind the dashboard if I drive faster than 90 km/h (road quality does not matter, this video was taken on smooth tarmac). I've taken all the dashboard parts out, but I can't exactly pinpoint it. I think its behind the clutch (there is some kind of black box) but I'm not sure. It doesn't matter if the clutch is in neutral or encaged, Or what rpm the motor is in. I've made a video about it:
Does someone recognize this rattle?

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
does it make the same noise if the engine is not running ?

i'm taking a real stab in the dark here but it sounds like the heater blower fan blades are catching

with the ignition on and no engine running try turning the heater on and see if thats making the noise

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
different rpm's didn't made a change in rattle but I haven't tried to turn my engine off while driving 100 km/h. I shall try. If I don't pull the key out nothing can happen right?

Also a change in blower rpm does not made a difference. But I shall do some more testing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I've driven with the engine off, heater on / off / hard / soft, Airco on / off.
All didn't made a difference. Still the same rattle :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've experienced something similar few years ago, driving my FK2. After several road tests made, the problem was from below the car, not from the dashboard.

Long story short: the exhaust pipes below the car have sort of "thermal shields" which are mounted using few screws. In my case, one of these pieces of s**t had 2 screws loosened, resulting in increasing noise with speed (and an unpleasant sensation of insecurity). I've raised the car on the elevator and tightened all screws and the noise stopped.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Let's be honest, if it ain't making noises, it ain't a Civic.
In fact at least we know we have a car, unlike those lame silent Toyotas or Lexuses or Golfs or Seats or Subarus or Volvos or ... ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guy's,

Thanks for the reply's! the sound does not come from the windshield wiper area. More from the direction of the black plastic box behind the clutch. It doesn't sound like it's from outside under the car, but that's a easy check. Hope so, way easier to fix than opening that black plastic box. (some kind of airco unit or something).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car got checked for his periodically check, but sadly the mechanic could not find any loose shielding (or anything else loose) on the belly of the beast. But he think it's also got worse with high winds. If so, the problem should be outside somewhere... maybe I should borrow some kind of stethoscope to locate it more precise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts