2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My fn2 has developed a rattle today, when revving the at at a stand still at around 4,000 rpm there is a rattle from the engine bay. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet but is there anything common that's worth looking for? When the revs drop at around 4,000 you can hear it like a resonating rattle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is it definitely from the engine bay? Mine had a buzzy rattle which initially sounded like it was coming from the engine area but turned out to be the bracket on the exhaust had rusted loose (the 'V' shaped bracket in the middle behind the front axle)

Although just seen yours is an FN2 so will be a bit different. Still have a look at heat shields though as they can sometimes corrode and rattle about.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only heard it tonight when pulling up at home so haven't had a chance. Just wondering if there was anything common coming loose, I'll have a better look tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
1,412 Posts
That doesn't sound too noisy to me.
What does it sound like at constant revs?
Blipping the throttle like that only gives a moment to hear anything.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to get my missus to rev it up so I can have a look. I'll see what I can find tonight after work.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couldn't pin point where it's coming from, it come when the revs drop at around 3,000-4,000 rpm. Will need to get it up in the air I think.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Couldn't pin point where it's coming from, it come when the revs drop at around 3,000-4,000 rpm. Will need to get it up in the air I think.
Remove your auxilary belt, start the car and see if you hear the noise. If not, you have an issue on one of the pulleys. Alternator and waterpump I will play close attention to and check them for play in the pulleys.

If the noise is still there, begin removing coil packs one at a time and start the car and try again. This will tell you which cylinder is ticking, if the auxilary belt removal doesn't eliminate the noise, of course.

What's your mileage, and has the coolant been changed on time every 3-5 years? If the water pump was making a noise, usually the bearings are shot and nine times out of ten they leak when they're gone, has the car had any coolant loss lately?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Remove your auxilary belt, start the car and see if you hear the noise. If not, you have an issue on one of the pulleys. Alternator and waterpump I will play close attention to and check them for play in the pulleys.

If the noise is still there, begin removing coil packs one at a time and start the car and try again. This will tell you which cylinder is ticking, if the auxilary belt removal doesn't eliminate the noise, of course.

What's your mileage, and has the coolant been changed on time every 3-5 years? If the water pump was making a noise, usually the bearings are shot and nine times out of ten they leak when they're gone, has the car had any coolant loss lately?
Cheers. It's on 58,000 miles 07 plate, not sure on coolant change. It doesn't sound like a pulley noise to me, sounds like something is resonating around the under tray area. I'll get it up in the air and have a look around for anything rubbing or loose.

When driving when your just coasting and the revs are dropping from 4k to 3k you can hear it. I'll give it a proper look over tomorrow and see what I find.

·
Super Moderator
1,412 Posts
Coolant is supposed to be changed at 10 years and then every 5 if you use the Honda genuine stuff, regardless of mileage - actually pretty cheap from cox motor parts. Don't forget new O ring on the drain plug if you drain that way.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Might sound daft, but give the manifold cover a tap to check whether or not it is that buzzing, mine does it occasionally. Reseat it if it is and give another tap, if it goes away enjoy for all of 5 miles driving before it comes back ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers everyone for the suggestions, I removed the spark plug cover and intake manifold cover, also removed the scuttle panel trim to get better access to the exhaust manifold shield, heat shields seem fine, none loose or corroded fixings. Noise still there with covers removed.

Got the car up into the air and all other heat shields seem to be tight.

It's worse when in second gear around 4k rpm and letting it coast in gear, you can hear the rattle as the revs comes down and stops when it gets to around 2.8k revs.
In the video you can hear the noise as the revs come down, you get this longer when the car is actually moving as the revs won't drop so quickly.
It almost sounds likes it's coming from the engine itself.

I'll have to try removing the belt and see if it goes then.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
stretched timing chain?? i'm only guessing

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just removed the belt, all the pulleys felt fine now play in them and noise is still there.
I think it could be resonating through the exhaust, maybe baffles have come loose inside.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts