2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across this noise in my car a few months ago, I hoped it would go away but it only got louder. It's hard to put the noise into words but the best comparison I can think of is it sounds like a ratchet on a pushbike chain. Imagine a cyclist peddling away and as soon as he stops peddling you hear the constant ratchet chain noise until he starts peddling again.
This happens in my car between 1000 and 2500 rpm. If the Rev counter is anywhere in that range, as soon as I let go of the accelerator the noise appears. No noise on acceleration. Makes this noise in any gear, most noticeable in neutral at standstill as there is very little background noise.
I have looked under the bonnet to try and pin point the noise but it is very difficult to do when the engine is running.
There's no impact on performance or fuel consumption. I know this is a long shot but any suggestions would be appreciated!:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll double check, but almost definitely sure it's not a heatshield. The sound comes in at a very specific rev range and only on the way down. If it was a heatshield it would rattle all the time no?

·
Administrator
17,935 Posts
A ratchet type sound you say?

Nothing rubbing on the engine?

At idle can you hear the click using a screwdriver pressed near bearings, etc?

·
Administrator
17,935 Posts
Have you checked the injectors aren't blowing? Tho they would still make a noise under acceleration...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried to listen though a 3/8 extension and nothing, the injectors seem good too. I think you've nailed it on the head with the chain though, there's a video on YouTube with the exact same noise. Ahem, just ticked over 100k miles. So if it is the chain, should I be worried?

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
Tried to listen though a 3/8 extension and nothing, the injectors seem good too. I think you've nailed it on the head with the chain though, there's a video on YouTube with the exact same noise. Ahem, just ticked over 100k miles. So if it is the chain, should I be worried?
I've done 109k now and mine sounds sweet... Depends on who had the motor before you and how it was looked after...

I think the chain is a job for a seasoned mechanic or very good DIYer though....

I think Jon G did his and there's a post kicking about somewhere on it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've done 109k now and mine sounds sweet... Depends on who had the motor before you and how it was looked after...

I think the chain is a job for a seasoned mechanic or very good DIYer though....

I think Jon G did his and there's a post kicking about somewhere on it...
Yeah, I bought it in February 2015 at 76k and I've done almost 30k in a year. All of it motorways and country roads. So do you think the chain noise is something to get worked up about? Definitely not going to touch it myself, it's so obscure.

·
Administrator
17,935 Posts
Do you know any local Honda indi's with good rep's up your way?

The only one I'm familiar with north of the border is Automek, but they're quite a trek from you.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Around 2300rpm on lift off..... and if you can go downhill, you can maintain the rattle?

If so, mines done if for the last 100k miles...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts