2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Quick question for those with more knowledge than me! Booked my car in for Thursday to have the air con looked at for a second time in a year. Basically I'm not satisfied that it's cold enough (put it on low and it blows out at best warm air). After running for 20 minutes I've had to switch it off and open the windows for cooler air (outside temp 24c). I'm sure it should be ice cold on the low setting.

I'm on 80k mileage and as far as I'm aware have never had a re-gas. Is it normal to have a re-gas or not? My car is only ever serviced by Honda and always when it should be. If it's a simple re-gas, does this mean that Honda have failed to maintain it properly during the services?

Cheers for the advice :)

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would never use Kwik Fit for anything! Thanks for the reply though. :). Am sure I read that Honda are suppose to check the maintenance of the air con during the services.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
You should Re-gas once a year for best results.

We do loads of cars for the same problem, you'll notice instant results matey.
Use a reputable garage (I dont mean a dealer, just not the 'Arches' haha).

Also, you should run the A/C all year round, it helps stop condensation in cold weather, and obviously cools you in summer haha

Edit: this is an extra to a service, only if you ask for it, there's nothing to say anyone has to do it during a service.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Scotty. Is a re-gas common to the Civic as I don't know anyone who's had to have a re-gas? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, just don't want to be ripped off if it's not a general "wear and tear" issue.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Everyone with A/C should re-gas from time to time :)

No one HAS to re-gas, it just helps keep a better temp control etc
If this doesn't solve your 'hot when cold' issue then the issue needs looking into further.

You wont be ripped off if you use a decent garage and they know what they're doing with decent equipment :)

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Everyone with A/C should re-gas from time to time :)
I agree....but once a year is overkill IMO, and should not be necessary.
As you say though, it depends on how you use it for it to retain its best performance, but surely any system should still be functioning with no real noticeable difference at only one year old, no matter how you have used it?

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
I agree....but once a year is overkill IMO, and should not be necessary. As you say though, it depends on how you use it for it to retain its best performance, but surely any system should still be functioning with no real noticeable difference at only one year old, no matter how you have used it?
The biggest problems usually occur when the AC is usually NOT used ...

Seals can deteriorate - fluid escapes - moisture enters - etc. ...

My 1.8 is now some 3 1/2 years old (AC is always on) and I'm starting to notice a drop in efficiency - and every 3 years or so seems to be the 'consensus' duration before regassing, to keep the system at its peak ...

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
The biggest problems usually occur when the AC is usually NOT used ...
Seals can deteriorate - fluid escapes - moisture enters - etc.
Agreed...but not after only one year from new under any conditions.

Even on a 3 year old car that you had re gassed, it should not be necessary to subsequently have it done on a yearly basis.

I said in another thread today that i dont have my air con on constantly, but i do make sure it is once once a week in the Winter months. This should keep everything healthy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got my wife's Fiesta done - 4 years old and A/C was getting 'tired'.Carried out by local independant Bosch authorised garage.He told me generally they should be re-gassed after 4 years initially,and then every 2 years after that.Wherever you get it done make sure they leak check the system prior to regassing. Also ask to see their equipment beforehand;and decent garage will be more than happy to 'show you what they've got'. Total cost was £65 - £15 more than Kwikfit but worth every penny not to have a trained monkey to do it.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Agreed...but not after only one year from new under any conditions.

Even on a 3 year old car that you had re gassed, it should not be necessary to subsequently have it done on a yearly basis.
That is exactly what JDR is saying -

and every 3 years or so seems to be the 'consensus' duration before regassing, to keep the system at its peak ...
every 3 years or so for regassing :facepalm:

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
every 3 years or so seems to be the 'consensus' duration before regassing, to keep the system at its peak ...
Honda recommend every 2 years... just had mine done at 4 year old although it has been smelling a little foisty for the last 12 months, so I reckon 3 years is sufficient!

Kwik fit are charging £25 at the moment although some people woundn't trust them with a push bike. Various Honda dealers are doing a promotion at the moment which is advertised at £40 however this does not include £12 for the disinfectant to clean the system and neither does it include VAT.... the total is £62.40.
...and whatever you do... stay away from those diy aircon recharge cans, not worth ruining your system!!

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
1) your aircon should be used at least for 20mins every couple of weeks, ideally, leave it on permanently, even if at the lowest speed and mid temp. This ensures that the pressure in the system is kept up and running.

2) if it starts getting smelly or stale, get a disinfectant run through it to kill off any nasties lurking in the pipes etc.

If yours has never been regassed before, get the system checked as you my find one or more of the seals/pipes are corroded. They should be using a UV dye which is put into the system then shows leaking through any perforations or holes in the system. If you dont get it checked, it doesnt matter how often you have your system re-gassed, it'll never get back to the same performance levels.

Ideally, if used regularly, your a/c system should be checked every year but only need a re-gas every couple or so.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
That is exactly what JDR is saying -
every 3 years or so for regassing :facepalm:
You appear to be getting a bit confused....and from interpreting the smilie you have used, i would go so far as saying you are contradicting your username. ;)

It was Scotty182 that i was disagreeing with, not JDR. :)

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Just got my wife's Fiesta done - 4 years old and A/C was getting 'tired'.Carried out by local independant Bosch authorised garage.He told me generally they should be re-gassed after 4 years initially,and then every 2 years after that.Wherever you get it done make sure they leak check the system prior to regassing. Also ask to see their equipment beforehand;and decent garage will be more than happy to 'show you what they've got'. Total cost was £65 - £15 more than Kwikfit but worth every penny not to have a trained monkey to do it.
If the customer asked them to "show you what they've got" would you be any wiser? :worms:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe not, but a decent garage is normally more than welcome to let you have a look at their workshop and even a layman's eye should be able to spot a badly maintained piece of equipment.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Maybe not, but a decent garage is normally more than welcome to let you have a look at their workshop and even a layman's eye should be able to spot a badly maintained piece of equipment.
Assuming all the equipment is nice and tidy etc then maybe something else to consider is how do you know if the chap carrying out the job has the necessary skills?

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
You appear to be getting a bit confused....and from interpreting the smilie you have used, i would go so far as saying you are contradicting your username. ;)

It was Scotty182 that i was disagreeing with, not JDR. :)
No I'm not confused but I do think you maybe

Yes you disagreed with Scotty182 in post #7 but in post #9 you are disagreeing with JDR which is where I said he was agreeing with you - and not once has JDR said it should be re gassed yearly - which seems to be your main point of post #9 - You Need To Learn To Read :facepalm:

PS - I can use whatever smilies I like :p

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
No I'm not confused but I do think you maybe

Yes you disagreed with Scotty182 in post #7 but in post #9 you are disagreeing with JDR which is where I said he was agreeing with you - and not once has JDR said it should be re gassed yearly - which seems to be your main point of post #9 - You Need To Learn To Read :facepalm:

PS - I can use whatever smilies I like :p
No, not at all.

I was simply reiterating what i said in post 7, and answered another point JDR made at the same time. If you read it again you should see that i was not disagreeing with him.

You can obviously read, but You Need To Learn To Understand What You Are Reading. :facepalm:

P.S. As can we all, but when directed at others, i think carefully when using ones with a negative meaning.

Anyway...thats enough disagreeing from me, particularly as my main focus of it in this thread has become you. :lol:

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update

I have fully functioning air con and I'm so excited! It's cold and everything ;)

I went to my local Honda garage for the re-gas and it cost £79.92. I know I could have got it cheaper thanks to your replies and recommendations but it was convenient for me.

Back on Sat to have £500 worth of brakes fitted but that's a different story!

Thanks for all the replies, I've read them all :)

Happy Easter!

E

1 - 20 of 22 Posts