2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 278 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This How To will allow you to read the DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) that the car stores. You don't need to spend £1000's on the Honda Diagnostic System, nor even £10's on special tool "MPCS short connector" (07WAZ-0010100). Instead, find some of the following:

dtc1a.jpg

Note: it is not critical to use recycled, though obviously it helps save the planet.

Do this entirely at your own risk. As usual, if in doubt, do not do it.

Scrunch up a small corner, and put it in the hole in the fuse box (by your right knee - RHD) as shown below. Make sure you don't touch it anywhere else.

dtc1.jpg

Next turn the ignition on (position 2). Wait for 10 seconds, and your error codes (if any) will appear on the odo:

dtc2.jpg

You can press i on the steering to go to the next one, until you see:

dtc3.jpg

If you have no errors, it will say "DTC NO".

If you want to clear an error, press and hold SEL/RESET for more than 10 seconds. Doing this would be really dumb though, because then the dealer will not know about a fault, and will not fix it for free under warranty. It may even hide a fault that subsequently causes horrific damage, so this is really not advisable.

You can see I have a DTC "B1235" from module 51 (aircon). B1235 is "A Problem in the Driver's Air Mix Control Linkage, Door, or Motor" so a good job it's going in for service next week.

I'm not sure which modules this method will read from, but it certainly reads the MICU, gauge control module and the aircon.

If anyone has any DTCs, post them here and I'll see if I have the decode.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Thanks Pottsy, very useful, you could have opened Pandora's box here. Is the list of DTC's copywright info ?

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
I hope that ayone attempting this, makes absolutely sure that they only short out the socket that pottsy has indicated and that they heed the warning regarding ot touching anythig else.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
WOW! :D

I'm guessing the key here is to make a connectin between the 2 sides of the 'fuse'?

Rather than risky the wrath of Mrs TT by nicking some foil, would a spare fuse be easier to use?

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not a fuse hole, it's a big socket designed for a special "shorting tool" plug, as well as tin foil.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Pottsy:
Does it have to be the shiney or the matt side of the foil on the outside?Have you stuffed screwed up foil in any other holes?

I was well impressed you had found this feature, (thinking you went round trying all sorts of odd things just to see what happens) until you said about the shorting tool!

I suppose the next step is to have voice prompts for error codes, such as "DTC says NO"!

Terry

·
Registered
676 Posts
Pottsy,

You could disconnect a sensor for ex. Air mass flow and IGN on, start engine. Then you will get a check engine.
So you can try to read out that failure.
If it is not working no worries after 2-3 starts (ign off wait 2 minutes, ign start) the check engine light will be off.
(I have already made this before, but I haven't checked it with this foil thing)
Is left hand drive, right hand drive "shortcut" connector the same?:oops:

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PTR - I suppose I could do it on a pre-heat coil...All I meant by the LHD/RHD is that the fuse box will be by your left knee in LHD cars.

·
Registered
676 Posts
PTR - I suppose I could do it on a pre-heat coil...
yes, for example...
just to find out if we can read the fault memory of the engine with this method or only MICU and aircon...

Reactions: Ccgogo

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Will be VERY interesting to see if that error goes after the service!

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is not the engine dts socket it is for checking b can,multiplex and guage assembly. You wont find any usefull dtc,s (diagnostic trouble codes) using this system and i strongly advise against this

Speedy
honda diagnostic technician

·
Registered
7 Posts
many errors...

Hi all,

I've done this and here are my results:

PA50
DTC B1155

PA50
DTC B1156

PA50
DTC B1157

PA50
DTC B1159

PA50
DTC B1160

PA50
DTC B1188

PA96
DTC B1905

Can anyone decode these DTCs more me?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You may want to make a trip to the dealer. There is a problem either with the Gauge unit, or the MICU, or the link between the two.

DTC B1155: Gauge Control Module Lost Communication with the MICU (HLSW Message)
DTC B1156: Gauge Control Module Lost Communication with the MICU (WIPSW Message)
DTC B1157: Gauge Control Module Lost Communication with the MICU (MICU Message)
DTC B1159: Gauge Control Module Lost Communication with the MICU (DOORSW Message)
DTC B1160: Gauge Control Module Lost Communication with the MICU (DRLOCKSW Message)
DTC B1188: Gauge Control Module Lost Communication with the MICU (RM Message)
DTC B1905: Immobilizer-Keyless Control Unit Lost Communication with MICU (DRLOCKSW Message)

Are all of DTCs B1155, B1156, B1157, B1159, B1160, B1165 and B1188 also indicated at the same time?
YES - Replace the gauge control module (tach)

·
Registered
7 Posts
You may want to make a trip to the dealer. There is a problem either with the Gauge unit, or the MICU, or the link between the two.

Are all of DTCs B1155, B1156, B1157, B1159, B1160, B1165 and B1188 also indicated at the same time?
YES - Replace the gauge control module (tach)
Hi Pottsy,

thank you very much.

Let me first answer your Question:

The DTCs are not indicated at the same time.
I have to press the "Sel/Res"-Button to jump to the next error.

What does "gauge" mean?
In the English dictionary there are many different german translations for "gauge"... (sorry).

And what's the "MICU"?

And the next question:

I do not have any problem with my car...

So I cannot make a trip to the dealer and tell him,
that I've put Aluminium Foil in the car's hole :D and the car showed me the errors...

Do you know what I mean?

Anyway the error codes annoy me... So what can I do?

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is probably an intermittent fault, so not worth worrying about. If the doors lock and the interior lights work OK, then everything is working.

The Gauge unit is the speedometer and tachometer unit.
The MICU is the little computer in the fuse box that does the alarm, locks and lights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ah, I see, thanks.

Hm, however... in about 2 months I have to go to the dealer for the 60.000km service.

And I think he should get to know this... What can I tell him? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
DTC Troubleshooting: B1188

DTC B1188: Gauge Control Module Lost Communication with the MICU (RM Message)

1.Clear the DTCs with the HDS.

2.Turn the ignition switch OFF, and then back ON (II).

3.Wait for 6 seconds or more.

4.Check for DTCs with the HDS.
Is DTC B1188 indicated?

YES - Go to 5.

NO - Intermittent failure. The gauge control module (tach) is OK at this time.n

5.Check for DTCs with the HDS.
Are all of DTCs B1188 and B2357 also indicated at the same time?

YES - Faulty MICU; replace the under-dash fuse/relay box.n

NO - Replace the gauge control module (tach).n

·
Registered
127 Posts
what is PA10 DTC B1008 ?
DTC B1008: MICU Lost Communication with Gauge Control Module (Tach) (A/T Message)
NOTE: Before troubleshooting, check the No. 16 (15 A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box and No. 10 (7.5 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box.

1 - 20 of 278 Posts