2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spotted a couple of threads regarding the soft as butter rear axle bushes but none of them really answered my query.

One of the bushes on my wife's 06 2.2ctdi has failed, it's so bad that I estimated a good inch of front to back movement in it.
The other side is still solid.
I'm guessing that it went due to the rear spring at that side snapping and my wife telling me a month down the line that "it's been making that noise for about a month now"

Anyway, I dropped the axle at that side and there is a decent amount of room to get into it but the casing of the bush appears to be metal.
Has anyone got any tips on the easiest method of removing the old bush?
I've seen new bushes going on ebay for around £40 and to be honest, I really don't want to be spending a whole lot of cash on a car I've had for almost 10 years.

·
Administrator
17,939 Posts
Welcome to :civinfo:, where are you based? We usually add this info to our profile, along with our vehicle details.

You're in luck as I changed my rear axle bushes on Friday ;)

As you have already found, there is room to partially drop the axle to gain access to the beam bushes. I left the shocks connected, released the front bush fixings and lowered the axle on the jack onto a second set of axle stands.

I bought a bush pressing kit which might seem like an expense but it made the job soooo easy. It'll also come in handy again and still saved me money if had paid someone else to do the work. Let grab a link for the tool.

I have also seen the OEM bushes city/drilled out but you really need the car raised on a lift to do this. It's not pleasant job either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers mate, I had another account on here years ago, probably about 8 years ago maybe?
Couldn't find my details and tapatalk made it easier to create a new account.

Appreciate that a puller tool would make life so much easier but the lip being on the inside might be a pain.

·
Administrator
17,939 Posts
Monster bush press tool http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/110876353011?_mwBanner=1

The tightening nuts are deep, which give lots more leverage than a straight forward nut on a threaded bar. These nuts have bearings move freely so more of your effort goes to shifting the actual bush #toptip

·
Administrator
17,939 Posts
I wasn't rushing and needed to cut a large tube down to pull the old bush into. Oh and drill a thick plate to draw it out on.

All in, I had both sides done in 3 hours.

Would be much quicker now, as jobs they always are once you know how to go about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did you mean When you say cut a large tube?
Your photos in the other thread look like you used the tool to pull the bush out

·
Administrator
17,939 Posts
Well spotted, the kit didn't have a drift large enough to go over to the bush so I cut a large diameter tube. Let me link to a pic...

The bush is being pushed out to the right. Look on the RHS, see the tube being supported on one side by a couple of bolts. The 2 bolts help keep the tube true as it was only supported on one side by the swing arm. This tube forms a void in which to pull the old bush ;) The big flat plate is far right and supports one end of the tool. Simples!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have the facilities at home to fabricate additional materials and with the wife going down south with the car in a couple of weeks, I decided to call a mates mechanic, going in next Tuesday and he reckons about an hour should be long enough to do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it went in to my friendly mechanic yesterday, I ordered a pair of bushes from eBay for £60 and I got a phone call from the mechanic an hour after I had dropped it off to say it was ready.
He charged me £30 for the job and I drove it home, it felt like a whole new car again!

Now I just need to figure out which abs sensor is busted and I will be happy again.

Thanks for your input farqui, it was most appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a blood awful squeak coming from the rear of the Fn2, CT, 2007, I've checked the suspension over... Both springs and dampers and both appear fine, I've also tried spraying bushes with silicone based lube as to not rot the rubber, but the damn squeak still persists. I've read people have had squeak problems on the rear of civic, but could this problem be my rear axle bushes....??
Squeak happens when I go up driveway or over uneaten roads, streets, ... Squeak, squeak,, squeak.... It definitely from the rear end and it's driving me mad!!!, any suggestions guys...??

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Charlie, that could be right.... My thoughts been focused on the rear axle bushes, but now you mention it.... It always happens when the ground is uneven, or the rear is 'flexing' ... Hmm will grease the hell outta them and report back, cheers for the hint

·
Registered
25 Posts
... Charlie... I could only see one central bush on the roll bar... am I looking in the right place... (in rear axle triangular shape... I can see the anti roll bar running through it, but can only see 1 triangular bush in the centre)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts