2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
i-Vtec
5,387 Posts
Ebay, a Breakers yard, Facebook Market Place. TBH new ones can be had for a bit more that a used one, which you have no idea how long a 2nd hand one that will last. I take it yours has succumb to rust? You can get new ones for between 2 and 3 hundred, but they generally state they are only for the "Normal" civics. Someone said the Type R axle is 10mm wider that normal, but I think the only difference is the Type R has a thicker bar that runs through the Type r axle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ebay, a Breakers yard, Facebook Market Place. TBH new ones can be had for a bit more that a used one, which you have no idea how long a 2nd hand one that will last. I take it yours has succumb to rust? You can get new ones for between 2 and 3 hundred, but they generally state they are only for the "Normal" civics. Someone said the Type R axle is 10mm wider that normal, but I think the only difference is the Type R has a thicker bar that runs through the Type r axle.
Okay thank u and mine is slightly bent, car still runs fine but when I go round a bend sometimes it feels like it skips out, I have been looking everywhere for one

·
Super Moderator
4,903 Posts
could be that 10mm refers to that tension bar as the R is 22mm and the normal ones 12mm

·
Heading for the naughty step
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
2,565 Posts
If you looking at a second hand one be prepared to pay between £150-£200 for decent condition at this moment in time, unless you strike it lucky. Every body that I have contacted on eBay/breakers have quoted me that price and I have contacted a fair few. Yes the standard might fit but the torsion bar is definitely 22mm on the type r. I’m still in the process of sourcing one myself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you looking at a second hand one be prepared to pay between £150-£200 for decent condition at this moment in time, unless you strike it lucky. Every body that I have contacted on eBay/breakers have quoted me that price and I have contacted a fair few. Yes the standard might fit but the torsion bar is definitely 22mm on the type r. I’m still in the process of sourcing one myself.
Unless you are doing some absolutely whacky ludicrous stuff in your car, day to day the torsion bar does not matter. If you are that bothered by it then put an additional ARB on it but if you wouldn't install an ARB in the first place then it doesn't matter or make sense to worry about the torsion bar under these circumstances

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Normal civic axle + additional arb if you are worried. I suspect unless you are a skilled racing driver you will feel no difference. Did this on mine, check my build for more info :)

·
2,565 Posts
If that’s the case and it dosent make much difference why have the bigger beam in the first place. They must be some reason or why would Honda put a stronger beam fitted. Cars for road use and not racing driver like you say, gotta be some reason then if they is no difference if you change it to the lesser. I would off thought due to the beam being twice as strong thus giving less flex, thus more stability to the rear end. If no difference then why did Honda do it, strange one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If that’s the case and it dosent make much difference why have the bigger beam in the first place. They must be some reason or why would Honda put a stronger beam fitted. Cars for road use and not racing driver like you say, gotta be some reason then if they is no difference if you change it to the lesser. I would off thought due to the beam being twice as strong thus giving less flex, thus more stability to the rear end. If no difference then why did Honda do it, strange one.
Because the Type R is race oriented and they know it will be pushed to it's limits on tracks, on the road the beam makes no difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Regarding beams I wanted to change the rear on my 1.8 to the type r ones as I was told the standard one is slightly narrower and does not have an additional stiffening bar. That is one of the reasons I want change mine also will be doing a kswap. Also I wanted to know what is the difference between the front ones? I have the type r steering wheel rack including the front hubs. Is there any difference between the steering wheel rack? Also would I be able to add the fn2 front hubs to my current one or is the standard ones not suitable.

Hope someone can help. Tia Art Gas Auto part Font Wood
Art Gas Auto part Font Wood

·
Super Moderator
4,903 Posts
the std 1.8 rear beam does have a stiffener bar but it is only 12mm thick not the 22mm of the R
you can fit a Whiteline rear ARB to compensate

·
Registered
102 Posts
The rear beam does not make anything more or less narrow on either car, it's the rear hubs that do that. The Type S and Type R have a few extra mm for offset compared to the other models

·
2,565 Posts
Isn't thicker the better? Also it's wider, right? I'm thinking of removing my spacers as my alloys are quite wide. View attachment 324882
Rears are perfect for me, front just wants to drop in a little. Just get smaller spacers for the front. Drop them in around 5mm. 15mm on front just right. Like the front grill, did you change out the badge or is it a full grill

·
Registered
20 Posts
The rear beam does not make anything more or less narrow on either car, it's the rear hubs that do that. The Type S and Type R have a few extra mm for offset compared to the other models
I just thought the thickness gives the type r a better drive. I'll have to see. I thought the the rear hubs are the same on the type r and s.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts