2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, question for anyone in the know:

I currently have an 06 plate ES model and have been told that I require new backing plates as the old ones have almost completely corroded away.
(No thanks to the rear brakes continually seizing on and now required to be replaced for the 4th time in 2 years. Anyway I digress....)

What purpose do these actually serve, are they required?
Also if I replace these could I replace them with the Civic 'Sport' backing plates which look a lot smarter.
Guessing it is the same braking system but suppose this doesn't mean they are compatible?

Cheers

·
Oldboy-racer
909 Posts
One thing is they stop water splashing on to the disc while driving in the wet, which robs you of brakes. Ever been through a flood or ford then tried your brakes?

The sporty backing plates should fit on the rear as they all have the same caliper set up AFAIK.
Honda did a neat trick by making them look like bigger discs.
Hope this helps

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing is they stop water splashing on to the disc while driving in the wet, which robs you of brakes. Ever been through a flood or ford then tried your brakes?

The sporty backing plates should fit on the rear as they all have the same caliper set up AFAIK.
Honda did a neat trick by making them look like bigger discs.
Hope this helps
Cheers for reply...I thought they would serve some purpose but checked about and lots of folk said they hadn't bothered replacing them.

That is my thinking also about the setup but never know really. Just another way to make more money out of folk by making it a different setup I suppose.

Hopefully someone on here will have done it already though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts