2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before I have just joined. I have an 07 plate honda civic and the rear brake dust shields have rusted so bad they are just crumbling when I touch them.

I can't seem to find replacements anywhere, are these necessary for when I change the brake discs and pads.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

·
i-Vtec
4,863 Posts
Welcome to civinfo

They are available from Honda but necessitate the whole hub being removed to replace them. Think they are around £30 each too. They do nothing imo, in fact I think they are the reason rust builds up on the back of the brake discs. They are not required to do a disc and pad change. In fact when you remove the disc just remove as much of them as you can, the metal is very thin and just twists away.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
Those shields fell away on both my Accord and my MR2. Never replaced them, never noticed any problems over the years and there was never an MoT advisory for them being missing.

Some manufacturers (including Vauxhall, I believe?) no longer fit brake shields. But clearly others do and they must think that the extra production cost is worth it, but I really wonder why...

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Splash shields protect the 'inside' of the discs from road muck splashed up from the opposite wheel. (the name is a bit of a clue). If the splash is allowed onto the 'inside' of the disc, the 'inside' pad/disc will wear quicker than the 'outside'. Well, that's the theory but it is not unusual for 'inside' pads to wear more than the outside ones anyway.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine have been removed, No issues. might be worth keeping if you drive on gritted roads, all that salt,muck makes a good grinding paste.

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Yep. That's the idea. BUT. How do you manage not to do that, keep it in the garage when the roads are wet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to civinfo

They are available from Honda but necessitate the whole hub being removed to replace them. Think they are around £30 each too. They do nothing imo, in fact I think they are the reason rust builds up on the back of the brake discs. They are not required to do a disc and pad change. In fact when you remove the disc just remove as much of them as you can, the metal is very thin and just twists away.
so what about when it comes to a MOT are they not supposed to be on the car to pass an inspection?
the problem at the moment is finding someone that is stocking them. Do you have a site that is a actually stocking this product to buy?

·
Super Moderator
4,141 Posts
Have you tried Cox Motor Parts?

Forum members get a discount

·
Registered
2.2 cdti es
3 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts