2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Has anyone replaced the rear brake pistons on the mk8 civic diesel?

I'm looking online and I've found refurb kits some with the piston mechanism some without. This leads me to believe the mechanism can be moved from 1 piston to another. Has anyone done this before? Is it straight forward?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
3,992 Posts
If the kit is not described as left or right then fair bet that it is universal

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohhhh i know they are universal, as both rear calipers are same direction to wind back.

What i mean is... I can buy a rebuild kit with piston (no mechanism) or a rebuild kit with piston and mechanism.

So my question is... Can the mechanism currently on the car (working ok) be easily changed into a new piston?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Ah - so you mean the actual piston itself? should be no issues reusing IF the existing pistons are in good condition - look for pitting and corrosion. I assume the Honda ones are Steel? Jeep Grand Cherokee's use phenolic pistons - I replaced all of them as this material is prone to damage (has cheese like qualities :rolleyes:) and when I disassembled them they were all damaged in one way or another.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I'm still a little confused tho as your links all seem to show pistons with the kits? They all look to contain the same items :unsure:

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still a little confused tho as your links all seem to show pistons with the kits? They all look to contain the same items :unsure:
Sorry for the late reply...

The top pistons don't have the mechanism in the piston and the bottom ones do.

Not sure if you are aware of how the rear brakes work but they have a mechanism (like a nut) in the piston and a screw (like a bolt) in the caliper.

The mechanism seems to work fine as they wound back ok, but never know until taken apart. Sojust wanted to know if the mechanism could be taken out of the old piston and put into the new one.

The reason to replace the piston as I need too replace the piston boots and wanted to refurb the brake caliper to, so if its off the car and apart I may as well fully clean, stick it in the parts washer, sand blast and paint... then replace possibly scored pistons.

Hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts