21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Gonna be EBC discs and Green Stuff pads all round forme. Trouble EBC don't quote a price for rear pads but have found 1 site that does.

Gonna order the lot this weekend, they have to be better than the poor quality Honda stuff.

Chris

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Gonna be EBC discs and Green Stuff pads all round forme. Trouble EBC don't quote a price for rear pads but have found 1 site that does.

Gonna order the lot this weekend, they have to be better than the poor quality Honda stuff.

Chris
EBC are great. Best choice, thats what I'm upgrading to.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just a quick update really.

Despite assurances by local dealer that I would receive a call from them to bring my car in, I am yet to received said call.

Secondly have been religiously turning off the VSA this week. I have noticed that my rear callipers are noticably cooler. Actually have noticed that the o/s/r calliper was stone cold on more than one occasion. Just a quick reminder my commute is 20 miles on twisty roads, up hill and down dale, steep hills.

Looks to me like the n/s/r is doing the work for the rear, hence why it is showing noticably higher wear than the other side.

Does anyone know if the Civ has diagonal or front/rear brake circuits?

It would appear the VSA is overly sensitive and applying the rear brakes often around bends. Hence the reported rear brake wear by a lot of Civ owners.

My EBC Green stuff front and rear pads have arrived, and a nice shiny set of EBC plain disks for the front. Need to get a wind back tool this weekend and will get them fitted on the front. Want my dealer to investigate the rear before I fit the new pads on there.

Incidentally is money off at ebc brakes direct site and free delivery at the moment. Front and Rear pads plus pair of vented front disks £185 ish.

Chris

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just a quick update really.

It would appear the VSA is overly sensitive and applying the rear brakes often around bends. Hence the reported rear brake wear by a lot of Civ owners.

Chris
Hi Chris

I had this problem at my last service, xmas 2007. I was told that my rear brake pads had worn out ( down to 3mm). Intially they said it was my driving style. Then I said I drove normally. Then they said it must be a bad batch. The upshot is you get 70% of brake force from the front and 30% from the rears. I said the pads should last 50,000miles to which they agreed. I think they put it down to the pistons not releasing properly as the culprit of the premature wear. So a new set was free of charge by Honda.

Terry.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
my front pads were changed at 24K miles and the rear was about 50% as i remember. Now the rears have almost gone completely at 29K miles. So I am starting to think there might be something wrong with the rear to wear out that soon. what do you guys think? worth talking to the dealer? or is this normal.

One more thing, if you replace pads with say EBC pads does the warranty get invalidated? If not I think I would rather upgrade to an EBC set.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I posted about this same problem many months ago, after Honda deliberately giving me the run around decided to do the pads myself, on checking them again they look pretty worn, i think Honda should be doing a recall on this as it is quite obvious there is a fault on either the rear caliper or the VSA system - i'm quite angry about the lack of support from Honda, i doubt i would buy another car from them again!!!

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Had my car for 3 weeks and I'm a little concerned about the brakes - they are not as responsive as I think they should be (spongy) and I assume this is because the rear brakes are doing most of the work.

The rear wheels are covered in brake dust whilst the fronts are almost clean - I think a trip back to the dealer is required.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I tested this:
- clean alloys
- drive without vsa for a few days on windy roads
- rear alloys are shiny shiny
- drive with vsa on windy roads
- rear alloys have almost instant dark dust, easily felt with finger
if you search a bit about esp/vsa then you'll see that rear braking on one wheel is to counter understeer, which is natural on a FF car.
this is also proof that you don't need to have the light blinking on the dash to have vsa taking action. I reckon the blinking only comes on as it does for abs, that is on emergency action.
I have also just tried driving with the VSA off for a few days, and it does seem to be the VSA causing all the brake dust on the rear wheels. This is:
- wasting fuel
- wearing out the brake pads / disks very quickly
- making a real mess of the rear wheels

The Honda VSA is is far too senitive - I have had other cars with similar systems to VSA and never had a problem with them.

I wonder if it could be re programmed to be less sensitive ? Come on Honda

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I have also just tried driving with the VSA off for a few days, and it does seem to be the VSA causing all the brake dust on the rear wheels. This is:
- wasting fuel
- wearing out the brake pads / disks very quickly
- making a real mess of the rear wheels

The Honda VSA is is far too senitive - I have had other cars with similar systems to VSA and never had a problem with them.

I wonder if it could be re programmed to be less sensitive ? Come on Honda
I've often wondered if the VSA can operate without the light on the dashboard flashing - this would seem to confirm it. My rear wheels are often just as covered in brake dust as the fronts. My previous car (Mazda 3) was just the same, and it also had stability control fitted.

I must try the driving without VSA on, as an experiment.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
This must be a safety issue.

The front brake disks and pads are designed to do more work and will provide the better stopping power.

I would expect the car to lurch forward under heaving braking but it seems to hunker down at the rear and I get the impression the car may not stop :mad:

I will try without VSC on and see the difference before going to the dealer with my concerns

·
Administrator
19,178 Posts
Just to add a little to this since turning the VSA off I have noticed my mpg has gone up by about 3MPG.

Chris
But is the lack of safety worth 3mpg, though?

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
But is the lack of safety worth 3mpg, though?

Safety is No1 of course. But there must be something wrong with Kissifers car. Either :

- He is driving round corners so fast the VSA is always working etc
or
- The VSA is too sensitive and working when it doesnt need to

When I did my trial I was not driving any where near the cars limits with VSA on or off. With the VSA switched on the rear wheels are quickly covered with brake dust implying the VSA is applying rear brakes when it doesn't need to.

My last car had a similar system, but you could tell when it was working - the warning light flashed. I had no problems with rear brakes with this car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
not much wear

just had 10k service at 10001 miles exactly a year after I got the car. I do mixed driving but occasionally break hard, but generally quite gently.
still have issues with dirty fornt and back, was told

fronts had 10% wear and rears 5%.
This would go with them lasting 50,000 miles possibly!
Although my front tyres down to 4mm already so not too gentle!
Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Am not contradicting myself, I expect to get a years driving out of the front pads. Have never owned a vehicle where the rears wore at the same rate as the fronts, never mind at a faster rate.
(...)

Mhmmm, my Civic changed front and rear after 40.000kms. Usually I make mixed roads, in city and out (highways).
I've notted that VSA goes on in different situations.
Maybe it's normal this front and rear wast ... in the Civic :?:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just my experience...

Had my diesel serviced recently. 2yr service. Done 18,000 miles. All round 20% wear on pads (ok, I drive like an old man!)
But more puzzling, they replaced my rear discs! (free)
Only came on to search for recall or problem with rear discs.

Since I drive conservatively and don't through it into corners etc. the pad wear problem may stem from the VSA after all. Mine has no need to be working.

Doesn't give a reason for changing my discs though.

Swizzler

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Just to add a little to this since turning the VSA off I have noticed my mpg has gone up by about 3MPG.

Chris
I don't think that is entirely down to the VSA being off. The fact that you think it might make a difference and that you are watching your MPG will effect your MPG regardless. It is a self-fulfilling prophesy. You would have to contuct 'blind' tests to see if there is anything in it.

Having watched the VSA demonstration on 'What Car?'s website, I would never turn mine off. You never know when you're going to need it. Hopefully none of us will, but, one slippery bend, a bit of mud or diesel, and car coming the other way on the wrong side...

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I don't think that is entirely down to the VSA being off. The fact that you think it might make a difference and that you are watching your MPG will effect your MPG regardless. It is a self-fulfilling prophesy. You would have to contuct 'blind' tests to see if there is anything in it.

Having watched the VSA demonstration on 'What Car?'s website, I would never turn mine off. You never know when you're going to need it. Hopefully none of us will, but, one slippery bend, a bit of mud or diesel, and car coming the other way on the wrong side...
I Definitetly agree it is a bad idea to switch the VSA off for obvious safety reasons.

However the experiment showing that rear brake dust is reduced with the VSA switched off proves that the VSA is over sensitive. It is wearing the rear brakes out much faster than normal which in turn is also wasting fuel. It is a fault that Honda should rectify.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts