2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an advisory on my last MOT about rear pad and disc wear so thought I'd change them. On all other cars I've had this is an easy job but not on the Civic. First needed an impact driver on the rotor screws...I was expecting that and have one available. But the major issue is the lack of room to get the brake calipers off the discs. Is it just my car? It took me a good 1/4 hr to just lever the caliper off as there is simply no play in the brake and handbrake lines.

Once the calipers are off it was a straightforward wind of the piston and swop of the rotors. But the replacement of the calipers was a nightmare took ages, I tried to remove the bolt securing the handbrake line to give some slack but was seized in on both sides of the car. I'm just praying that I get rid of the car before I have to do that again. What should have been an hour or so ended taking me closer to 4hrs...........nightmare:mad:

·
Registered
30 Posts
i know how you feel, exactly the same here but i had to drill out disc screws on all four wheels. nightmare.
rear caliper was the same no room to remove and i struggled getting caliper slide pins to screw back in.
i feel your pain
i was using the impacta jis screwdriver too but no chance with disc screws

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just opened mine yesterday, i am absolutely no mechanic, so i was not bald enough to take the caliper off, just because as you mention it was really tight back there.

I did however take the sliding pins out and cleaned and relubed with Bosch Superfit. The pins was really dry.

My rotors look really bad, especially the left side. Car has now 80.000km / 5 years on original rotors/pads.

See attached picture. Why is one side so much worse? Problems with caliper? I think the other side also was more rusty earlier but i have used the manual handbrake like a champ lately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts