2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rear dragging / scraping noise

Hi all, I've recently noticed there is a strange scraping noise that only appear when driving at 80-85mph on a private road (50 miles+). It sounds as if something is being dragged along the road - The best description I can provide is imagine going over a bump and you hear the front/back bumper scrap the road.

The noise comes from the rear (seems to be driver side rear / middle of the car), and first appeared in January this year. I've looked under the car when parked and haven't spotted anything hanging off. When the noise happens, there is no reduction in speed/acceleration however, I reduce the speed to 75mph and the noise then immediately disappears.

I've noticed the noise only appears on if travelling above 80mph and where the journey is longer than 50 miles. I've only done 2 journeys at that speed and distance - in January this year, and then again on Saturday 21 April.

The noise does not appear when driving in the city or on country roads, or when turning a corner or braking.

I thought it was the tyres at first (which were low) and got 4 new Goodyear tyres put on 2 weeks ago - so I'm sure it's not the tyres. I am getting the brake discs and pads changed next weekend at the same time as MOT.

I'm unsure what's causing the noise - has anyone experienced anything similar?

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,307 Posts
You mean when you were doing 80 - 85 on a private road or track :grin2: never on the motorway, as Lenny Henry would say, "that would be a bit British Telecom" that would.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts