2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an annoying rattle/slight knocking coming from the rear, so finally got chance to have a look, the rear aluminium heat shield over the rear silencer had come adrift, of the 4 bolts holding it on, 3 had let go leaving 1 keeping it attached to the car. My initial plan was to fit some larger repair washers to the bolts, but that went out the window, as the shield has rotted that much it goes over each captive nut, which is proud of the floor, meaning it'd still be loose even with bigger washers.

I've currently removed it until I can come up with a solution, but if anyone else has fixed it I'd be interested to know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I removed mine because it had rotted, the one that runs under the drivers floor has done the same it has some big washers on it but if it rots again its coming off too, such a bad idea ali on steel doesn't go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had exactly the same, I managed the flatten out the area around the holes and used metal tape (aircraft tape/speed tape) to cover the holes and then popped a hole in the middle, also used large 'penny washers' on the bolts which worked a treat.... No more rattles and securely fitted

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's some links, not the stuff I used, lol... ( I work in an engineering environment so it's all free to me hehehe)
But won't cost much, plus if you can flatten out the holes, you may only need the washers as there rather large, have a look at hardware stores as a few will only cost a few pence each, but below is just to show you the type of bits I used,
http://www.toolandfix.com/fixman-190288-aluminium-foil-tape-50mm-x-45m.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CKmtp5Xswc4CFcIV0wodrKgHkg
And
http://www.toolandfix.com/fixman-190288-aluminium-foil-tape-50mm-x-45m.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CKmtp5Xswc4CFcIV0wodrKgHkg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts