2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with a rear facing dash cam.

Where are you fitting/attaching it too?

The only places I can see are either hanging down from rear interior light or on rear window, the rear window would be the obvious choice but I have doubts about closing the rear hatch and camera dropping off or it getting damaged over time with it getting slammed about now and again.
Obviously a front dash cam with both forward and rear facing cameras is an option but they are more expensive than single cameras.

·
i-Vtec
2,569 Posts
I have the Blackvue DR650S-2CH and I have the rear camera stuck to the rear screen, just exactly where a Dealer Sticker would go. Worked fine for me over the last 3 months. I dont see it as a worry that it would get damaged or fall off placed there tbh.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
I've stuck mine to the top center of the rear main screen. That way, I can run the cable tucked in the head lining.

As it has quite a loose mount, some eager corners can cause it to slide out, but it's not that frequent and nothing some bluetooth or a better mount won't fix.
The only other issue I've had with the location is adhesion - It gets quite warm in the sun, so opt for a large base if using sticky pads to prevent warmth causing it to drop off.

Downsides are occasional cable droop in the rearview and the aforementioned drop on corners, but it's a nice easy fit and pivots fine.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
mine is stuck to the plastic trim around the lower screen, off to one side. wiring wasn't exactly a nice job as i ran the USB cable through the rubber tube near the hinges - difficult to go fishing for the cable as it pops through the C-pillar on the car side.

If i were doing it again, i'd see about mounting it on the headliner area rather than having to run cable in & around the boot lid section. the blackvue and thinkware designs suit this better than some others would (Trancend drivepro for example)

·
Wizard
84 Posts
I just use a cheap nextbase 112 in the back, I installed on the back "window?" - right side and hid the cable in the trim behind the seal. That runs to the socket in the boot.

Will post a pic later on.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just use a cheap nextbase 112 in the back, I installed on the back "window?" - right side and hid the cable in the trim behind the seal. That runs to the socket in the boot.

Will post a pic later on.

Using the boot 12v power socket was also going to be my option. Front is hard wired. Ideally I wanted a location to put dashcam where it can see out the rear but not be seen so easily from outside. I take front cam off when leaving car and don't want to be messing with two

Hanging it from centre rear light could be possible but in a crash I'd probably have a projectile hurtling towards us from behind. Nobody wants a potential dashcam in the back of the head

So it looks like a rear window option and hope the tints hide the camera from prying eyes. Or I bite the bullet and buy a more expensive front&rear camera like nextbase duo ... mmmm .... £200 or £80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
I've currently got a nextbase 312gw for the front. Is it possible to add on a rear view too?

·
4,233 Posts
Not with the NB 312. You need the 512 (but the rear cams are not on sale yet) or another 312 for the rear. Or a BlackVue 750 2CH. Other cams are available.

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
Not with the NB 312. You need the 512 (but the rear cams are not on sale yet) or another 312 for the rear. Or a BlackVue 750 2CH. Other cams are available.
Bugger ok ta. Just seen they do a nextbase duo hd, looks ok

·
4,233 Posts
But make sure that the rear cam is available. And don't rely on promises of them becoming available. Nextbase said last Jun/July "Coming soon" but they still are not yet available for the 512. (but apparently they are 'in the country')

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
no just fed them under the weather strip in the boot then connected to the power outlet in the boot.
The front one is hard wired so might do the same to this at a later date, works fine though and the wire is nt really noticble

·
R-398
702 Posts
no just fed them under the weather strip in the boot then connected to the power outlet in the boot.
The front one is hard wired so might do the same to this at a later date, works fine though and the wire is nt really noticble
Ah ok, was just wondering for the sake of opening and closing the boot. Toying with the idea of the Blackvue 750 2ch. Halfords want £50 to install it, which isn't bad considering I haven't bothered reading up on hardwiring myself.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've ended up getting a nextbase 512GW seeing as I already had the 312GW. 512 now at front with 312 relocated to the rear. For the moment it hangs in the middle with the sucker sat on the dealer sticker so hidden from view. I've covered up any markings on both of them with black tape to conceal better. Rear with tints it's virtually invisible. Front shows ring around lens and sucker stands out, but it really shows when visor on pass side lowered. They'll do for the moment.

Sent from the asylum. I have crayons today.

·
4,233 Posts
My BlackVue 750 2CH
DSC01497.jpg
Front cam inside
DSC01493.jpg
Front cam outside
DSC01496.jpg
Rear cam inside
DSC01495.jpg
Rear cam outside
DSC01494.jpg
Rear cam outside

Rear cam cabling goes behind boot trim, through rubber thingy and along L/H roof liner to front cam.
Front cam is hardwired to fuse box via a BV Power Magic.

·
Wizard
84 Posts
Using the boot 12v power socket was also going to be my option. Front is hard wired. Ideally I wanted a location to put dashcam where it can see out the rear but not be seen so easily from outside. I take front cam off when leaving car and don't want to be messing with two

Hanging it from centre rear light could be possible but in a crash I'd probably have a projectile hurtling towards us from behind. Nobody wants a potential dashcam in the back of the head

So it looks like a rear window option and hope the tints hide the camera from prying eyes. Or I bite the bullet and buy a more expensive front&rear camera like nextbase duo ... mmmm .... £200 or £80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's how I've got it installed in the back.

I need to hardwire the front one at some point, just too lazy to do it >:)

The visibility from the rear cam is adequate in my opinion, however it could be better ;D

Attachments

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My BlackVue 750 2CH
View attachment 286002
Front cam inside
View attachment 286034
Front cam outside
View attachment 286010
Rear cam inside
View attachment 286018
Rear cam outside
View attachment 286026
Rear cam outside

Rear cam cabling goes behind boot trim, through rubber thingy and along L/H roof liner to front cam.
Front cam is hardwired to fuse box via a BV Power Magic.

Very tidy looking dashcam and set up. But not a cheap option. I did consider when looking at website they had option for a battery backup to power when parking mode used. But as my 312GW was behaving itself and already wired in a 512GW was just a case of swapping over and using 512 connector at rear for 312. But if they misbehave then I'll consider this set up for mine. Much more incognito than mine.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well that didn't last long. Just nipped to garage to get USB stick and found rear cam swinging in mid air. Obviously dealer sticker not a viable location so stuck in corner at mo whilst dashcam updated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts