2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what these are called or what they do exactly, all I know is that I want some!

I've asked Honda, they said they would put it on my service list and the called the part "rear fenders". I can't see where I can get them, Honda want $250 odd dollars for these and I believe they are just a piece of plastic that is stuck on the sides.

Does anyone know where I can get these?

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
According to the dealer when I bought my car they're to disturb the airflow and lower the emissions. As far as I know they're only on diesels. Sorry, don't know what they're called.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Here in sweden they are standard on all models, I think I have heard that they are called "plastic fins". They are suppose to improve the airflow round the back!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not completely sure, but they were introduced on diesels then later on I think petrol models also got the rear fenders. I can't seem to find these anywhere, anyone here has any idea?

·
Administrator
21,163 Posts
Standard on all models MY13 and later. They are to do with lowering emissions but how they can make that much difference would be interesting to know

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
To mee they look like "holes" rather than fins. Then you'll need to change the whole panel

·
Bye Bye Type R
1,198 Posts
They are definitely fins, as mine has them

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
On the diesel the fins get the emissions just under 110 grams, to get into category b for road tax.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
To mee they look like "holes" rather than fins. Then you'll need to change the whole panel
Those "fins" are a small plastic piece, colour coded and "glued" to the side panel. :)
When the 9G was launched, it was standard in the more powerfull motorizations (1.8 and 2.2), when the 1.6 was launched the "fins" started being standard on some equipment levels (for Portugal was from Sport up, ES in UK I think).
Now it seems to be standard in all versions....

·
Bye Bye Type R
1,198 Posts
On the diesel the fins get the emissions just under 110 grams, to get into category b for road tax.

The 1.6 is under 94 grams

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still no luck finding these... Anyone have a clue?

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
I believe they are called "strakes" I'd post this on cox honda section for confirmation and a price

Sent from the necronomiPhon

·
more torque than the mrs
6,758 Posts
how much 250 dollars lol
will these do the job :facepalm:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_246902_productId_207189_langId_-1?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Car+Styling-_-Exterior+Protection-_-218073&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=liilmi&istBid=tzwt&_$$ja=cgid:8475776884|tsid:35522|cid:166296844|lid:50037814978|nw:g|crid:33910835764|rnd:369891373924075965|dvc:c|adp:1o5|bku:1&gclid=CLnqpquX770CFQoYwwod-ikATg

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how much 250 dollars lol
will these do the job :facepalm:
Hmm... interesting find but I'm not sure if it's the correct size, and even it it were, it wouldn't think it would fit the curve of the back panel.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
What about breakers ? I've seen a few accident damage new shape civics advertised on eBay. Maybe ask 1 of them.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What about breakers ? I've seen a few accident damage new shape civics advertised on eBay. Maybe ask 1 of them.

Good idea but I'm in Australia and I found a brokers with only the same model as mine without the rear fenders :( Does anyone have any ideas for DIY? I don't really want them for better emissions LOL I mean I think they looks pretty cool just wanted to see if I could get hold of something to put at the back.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Rather than the plastic strakes, why not save up for the roof rear spoiler or even the factory sports kit (rear and front diffuser and side skirt in faux carbon fibre look).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,163 Posts
I would try a Honda bodyshop. They must be able to order them in for any accident damage ?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
From a science point of view, I believe it does the following:

The air flowing over the front of the car is relatively laminar, which is efficient for drag. However, when the body narrows, the air flow tries to pull away from the car, starting boundary layer separation. At this point, it's actually more drag efficient to "trip up" the air and send it into a turbulent regime (counter intuitively).

It's the same effect as the holes on a golf ball.

From a non-scientific point of view, they look crap and give you at best 1/2 to 1 mpg improvement at high speeds (IMO)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts