2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with my radio (dealer looking at this afternoon) so I didn't switch on my rear screen heater to clear it this morning to see if this made any difference. After about 5 minutes into my drive to work I noticed it starting to clear in strips, as if the heater was on. I checked the button and there was no led lit? I switched it on...the led lit....I pushed it again and the led went out.....

Are the rear heaters temp controled (by outside temp)? Or is there a fault with mine?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I am having problems with my radio (dealer looking at this afternoon) so I didn't switch on my rear screen heater to clear it this morning to see if this made any difference. After about 5 minutes into my drive to work I noticed it starting to clear in strips, as if the heater was on. I checked the button and there was no led lit? I switched it on...the led lit....I pushed it again and the led went out.....

Are the rear heaters temp controled (by outside temp)? Or is there a fault with mine?

I think there was discussion on auto activating rear heaters, but I would assume it only kicked in when the temprature was below zero.

I can't remeber the outcome though.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would the heater have any effect on your radio issues?
The ariel is in the back window, and the electric interference from the heater?
My radio always plays up in the morning much more than the afternoon drive home. If the heater is on this could make some sence?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
the window will clear around the lines of the heater even when the heater isn't on :)

My gut feel says this is becuase the wires will heat up more quickly from the sun / internal heat from the car than the glass will :)

Only a theory, but it fits! :D:D

And mine does the same too :)

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
re: heater

Well it seems to me that the heater is being switched on automatically at low temperatures (at least as far as I can tell by the behaviour of my Civic last winter). Anyway, this should by no means influence the radio reception since it is DC (direct current) and not AC (alternating current = "sine wave")

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
hi civicfan (and welcome :D)

yes, the Civ definately turns the heater on when its cold, whether you press the button or not :D

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took my car to the dealer today to look at the issues with the rattles and the radio issue. I took a "technican" out for a drive the car didn't rattle and the radio didn't play up :oops:. I asked him if the rear heater came on and he said he hadn't seen it before, but it maybe possible with the "newer" models?
I can force the dash to rattle so it has been booked in for them to do beginning of Oct. They will look at the rattle and the radio issue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep, I'll definitely agree that the rear heater does come on automatically in low temperatures. I started up the engine this morning and got out to scrape the windscreen. Whilst scraping, I thought, "Oops, I didn't turn the rear screen heater on." I was quite surprised when I found it was defrosting automatically!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts