2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having this problem, condensation inside the real lamp cluster, now happening on both.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been noticing this on the left side unit, only on the outer part as shown here, and only a small amount.

Have you spoken to a dealer about it yet?
Yes, when i went in to book the service I asked them to have a look and they took photos, as did I at the same time, I wanted it changing at the service so I didn't need to make 2 trips, they said then they would get in touch with Honda. 2 days later the offside one started so I sent in some pics then I got a reply saying that they had to "go through a procedure" before it would be changed, I'm still waiting for this "procedure" to be explained to me. Mine started off just as a little bit last November but then grew larger and wouldn't show for days, its nearly every other day now, it shows up on the red surround too, moisture is getting in from somewhere and it will eventually affect the reflectors. I'll try and pop in to the dealers and see what this "procedure" is, if you are having the same problem keep taking pics when you see it, it's sods law when go go the dealer it just disappears when you get there.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Yes, when i went in to book the service I asked them to have a look and they took photos, as did I at the same time, I wanted it changing at the service so I didn't need to make 2 trips, they said then they would get in touch with Honda. 2 days later the offside one started so I sent in some pics then I got a reply saying that they had to "go through a procedure" before it would be changed, I'm still waiting for this "procedure" to be explained to me. Mine started off just as a little bit last November but then grew larger and wouldn't show for days, its nearly every other day now, it shows up on the red surround too, moisture is getting in from somewhere and it will eventually affect the reflectors. I'll try and pop in to the dealers and see what this "procedure" is, if you are having the same problem keep taking pics when you see it, it's sods law when go go the dealer it just disappears when you get there.
Here's my picture, right side still all clear.. Haven't noticed it again yet, but service is soon so I'm keeping track.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on these lights, went in for service today and asked if they were going to change the light unit, not until we carry out the procedure they said, the "procedure" is to remove the lamps and dry out the inside. :serious: So there we have it, no mention of leaky seals or a bad unit just keep a flue brush handy.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just as an aside, I forgot to ask mine if they knew of it happening to others or if Honda were aware of it.

·
4,773 Posts
There is actually an entry in the 10G handbook saying that they might mist up, but it's not a problem (probably one of those well known Honda 'features').
Can't find where it says it now to quote.

·
Registered
368 Posts
There is actually an entry in the 10G handbook saying that they might mist up, but it's not a problem (probably one of those well known Honda 'features').
Can't find where it says it now to quote.
It says the same in the 9G handbook as well. Both state, and I'm paraphrasing, that some moisture in inclement weather can occur in the light clusters and is not unexpected and can go away in warmer temps. However, if the droplets become larger and start to accumulate (meaning you start getting a puddle on the bottom), then take it to the dealer. From their description, the left hand image from Haltamer falls into the description of the first sentence unfortunately.

Found the page in my 10G manual, have an electronic version:

"The inside lenses of exterior lights (headlights, brake lights, etc.) may fog temporarily if you have driven in the rain, or after the vehicle has been run through a car wash. Dew condensation also may build up inside the lenses when there is a significant enough difference between the ambient and inside lens temperatures (similar to vehicle windows fogging up in rainy conditions). These conditions are natural processes, not structural design problems in the exterior lights.
Lens design characteristics may result in moisture developing on the light lens frame surfaces. This is also not a malfunction.
However, if you see large amounts of water accumulation, or large drops building up inside the lenses, have your vehicle inspected by a dealer."

This same paragraph is also present in the 9G manual verbatim. Page 552, exterior care, under the heading fogged exterior light lenses.

·
4,773 Posts
So whey the hell don't they just seal them and the 'feature' should go away?

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,614 Posts
I wonder if this is a 'feature' of having cooler burning LED's than the old bulbs ?

Reactions: M8TJT

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Iif you see large amounts of water accumulation, or large drops building up inside the lenses, have your vehicle inspected by a dealer.".
No, It's not water that collects in the indicator... I'm fairly sure that's the blinker fluid? :p

Well found, Once again proving the ancient adage "RTFM" :laugh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting as my near side rear reversing lamp is slightly misted up. I will keep my eye on this and if it gets worse I will take it back to Honda for warranty repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I solved it .... and I said to continue here, for those who want or for those who will need!

I started like this, from the trunk: the plastic cover / protection, where the lock is situated, opens vertically, from inside the trunk, somehow behind the bumper! Then carefully remove the plastic part and the upholstery from the necessary side! Be careful, because they are clipped, and they can break .... With mine on the right side, I had to be careful with the light lamp in the trunk, because you will need to disconnect the corresponding cable/connection. It is necessary to be able to open the plastic part wide enough to reach the respective cables!
With a little effort, you can "discover/feel" the position of the respective plug/connection. It has a clamp, which by pressing, will come loose from its connection.
In order to restore the trunk, the respective operations will be re-done, in reverse order.
Good luck!
If you have any questions, I'm here!

p.s. apologies for the texts on the pictures, they're in Romanian. Didn't had enough time to re-do them in English! Quick Google translate, and it should do it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts