2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Civic EX rear reversing lights and surrounding area have misted up quite badly. It has not rained for a few days. Opening and removing a light bulb from inside the boot also does not clear it. The condensation appears to be inside the double glazed outer and inner plasic cover.

Is this a common fault and if so is there an easy way to clear it?

Attachments

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
This is a VERY common fault, which i myself have seen on many civics on the road alone... Mine has been in to the dealers under warranty 3 times for this defect. First time i don't even think they touched it and the second time i was told it was silicone sealed up. I am currently dealing with this for a 3rd time at Stratstone Honda in Leeds where they have taken photo's of this to submit to Honda UK for investigation... I will let you know how this goes when they get back to me.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
It`s a well known characteristic on the Civic and other cars and does not affect the performance of the lights or anything else and clears once you are on the move. it is nothing to worry about and certainly pointless to keep on taking it back to the dealers as some owners do

·
Registered
88 Posts
For calming you down ;) I also faced with similar problem even in the Carpathian Basin (where I live) when the condensation appeared inside. The car surface was relative cold and the car was left in the sun for a while (happened in early spring). Then as the car got warm up the vapour disappeared.
The only thing that a bit annoys me that even if the vapour goes off in a few time but if that process is repeated frequently the surface inside may become unclear because of some dust that can stick onto the surface in case by case. (As I can imagine dust can get in through the gaps of bulb sockets /as the vapour obviously does/, etc. if I am right).
Although all my fear about that until now, after 2 years no remarkable problem can be seen.
The easiest way to get rid of it to keep the car in a warm place – since it's just simple physical symptom ;)

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
It`s a well known characteristic on the Civic and other cars and does not affect the performance of the lights or anything else and clears once you are on the move. it is nothing to worry about and certainly pointless to keep on taking it back to the dealers as some owners do
Mine came back from the dealers 3 hours ago... they claimed they were unable to find any condensation which was present when i dropped it in this morning, but since it's arrived home it has started to return...i've since pulled the light cluster apart myself and found that the contacts on the driver indicator bulb has now started to corrode due to the moisture. I would recommend anyone to return their car as this 'characterstic' was never mentioned in the sales brochure and without concern of how many other cars are prone to this defect after paying £20,000 for my car I have the right to demand that my light clusters do not fill with moisture, although I fully understand that this may not bother some people.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you tell me how long I should wait for it to clear? For 8 days it has not changed and there is now enough water in there to give some small fish a home. The pool of water spreads all over the inside whenever I open the boot lid.

What I don't understand is how so much water can get into a sealed unit for which there is no exit. I am considering drilling a small hole so that the water can drain out and air can enter.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I used heating it up with common hair fan — condensation disappeared.
Relax that's a Civic not a Mercedes-Benz or BMW :).

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
i sent mine back to the dealers and they contacted honda who was happy to give me a replacement...mine wasnt so much condensation it has green stuff growing in it which wasnt nice when you were doing photoshoots lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
fast forward a couple of years when you are complaining of lights not working, sloshing noises in the lights and rust coming from inside the car.

Thats what happens on the older model honda's, usually caused by the rubbish gaskets they use between the lights and body. Hairdryer to remove moisture and silicon seal it to the body should sort the issues.

I`d say you have a good right to ask for this being sorted under warranty, to future proof the car is you are intent on keeping it, its a pretty basic ask not to get moisture into any part ofthe car. Cars rust from inside out usually....

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
I used heating it up with common hair fan — condensation disappeared.
Relax that's a Civic not a Mercedes-Benz or BMW :).
I paid £19,980 for my Civic EX, the same price as some of the lower end BMW and Mercedes range. Do you not think pricing their cars in the same band as these they should just have a little bit more concern in their errors and fault issues?

fast forward a couple of years when you are complaining of lights not working, sloshing noises in the lights and rust coming from inside the car.

Thats what happens on the older model honda's, usually caused by the rubbish gaskets they use between the lights and body. Hairdryer to remove moisture and silicon seal it to the body should sort the issues.

I`d say you have a good right to ask for this being sorted under warranty, to future proof the car is you are intent on keeping it, its a pretty basic ask not to get moisture into any part ofthe car. Cars rust from inside out usually....
Well said!!

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
I paid £19,980 for my Civic EX, the same price as some of the lower end BMW and Mercedes range. Do you not think pricing their cars in the same band as these they should just have a little bit more concern in their errors and fault issues?
Yes but you need to look at the price of the more basic cars. The price difference is mostly all the kit that is stuck in the ES/EX models !! still at the end of the day they are the same car

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Never had it in two Civic's really chuffed as its common as muck :-(

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
I had two civics same problem with both together with mould growth and leaves that managed to work their way in!

I have also noticed that Vauxhall Astras, Seat Leon and VW Golf also have the same problem.

The Focus doesnt ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
It seems to me there is not a normal condensation inside that can disappear in short time (in hours). So I am almost absolutely sure there must be some damage of lamp box or something like that. If it has even a microscopic leak somewhere on its surface either inside (covered by door) our outside and the water usually flows over that surface the water can get in.

A bit similar case with no real damage of any part of a car:
once my father 'heavily' washed his (off) car and one of the front lamps was 'filled' some water that could not disappear for weeks, it could spread everywhere inside although the 55W of bulb heated it very much when it was used… Then I helped him to clean it through the hole where the bulb is plugged in using a small stick covered with some tissue. The problem never happened again after that.

My experience: if water can get very easily in then the vapour cannot do the same reverse.

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
I had two civics same problem with both together with mould growth and leaves that managed to work their way in!

I have also noticed that Vauxhall Astras, Seat Leon and VW Golf also have the same problem.

The Focus doesnt ;)

:worms: So, so much I could say:p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry for complaining on focus but regards my old car the cabin filter was fitted just under the windscreen edge. In rainy days it was usual, that a little pond appeared on the carpet inside, so I was not happy with that. The screens started to be ‘milky’ so I had to open all my windows in cold, rainy days to look out…

Then I solved the problem myself instead of designers or service guys… ;)

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
Yes but you need to look at the price of the more basic cars. The price difference is mostly all the kit that is stuck in the ES/EX models !! still at the end of the day they are the same car
I am fully understanding of that Brodick, I'm aware that the quality of the working components in the civic will overall be less than that of a BMW or Mercedes etc... but the components should never be left broken as it's a cheaper car. It's like a TV, the picture quality of a Matsui will never match that of a Sony Bravia nor should it for the difference in cost but if your Matsui's buttons fall off whilst under warranty you have the right to take it back and complain, not use it broken under the warranty as you paid a cheaper price and should expect such things. The thingI am getting at here is when fully operation the Civic is no match for a BMW, which is where the price difference shows, however when it's broken, it's broken, regardless of how much you paid!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had two civics same problem with both together with mould growth and leaves that managed to work their way in!;)
I have tried using a hair dryer but that seems to make it worse. There was a short shower last night and my lights are now much worse as you can see.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts