2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone else had the problem of a broken hinge pin on the rps?

I opened my boot the other day, closed it again, heard a crunch..

when I checked, the crunch was one of the hinges breaking...

----------------------------
Type R GT, SatNav, HFT, Mats

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone else had the problem of a broken hinge pin on the rps?

I opened my boot the other day, closed it again, heard a crunch..

when I checked, the crunch was one of the hinges breaking...
I have not had the problem yet, but I am sure that I will. It has happened several times where the wind has blown the shelf into a vertical position and it stops there. Then when you shut the tailgate you feel the crunch. I fear it is only a matter of time :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not had the problem yet, but I am sure that I will. It has happened several times where the wind has blown the shelf into a vertical position and it stops there. Then when you shut the tailgate you feel the crunch. I fear it is only a matter of time :(
I have a feeling that this is what happened to me - it was quite windy!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had the same problem.

The trim/bracket that holds teh parcel shelf has now come loose.

Going to try and get it fixed/replaced under warranty at my first service in a few weeks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the same problem.

The trim/bracket that holds teh parcel shelf has now come loose.

Going to try and get it fixed/replaced under warranty at my first service in a few weeks.
noticed tonight that mine was loose also.. gave it a whack with the palm of my hand - seems ok now...

Percussive maintenance - don't you just love it when things work?

·
Registered
6 Posts
This happened to me, wind blew up when closing boot and snapped off the round thing at the end, fixed by pushing the sleeve from a 'hamma' screw fixing into the end and pushed it back in. Will get proper one fixed at service but this is doing O.K. for now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The trim holding the parcel shelf on mine has come loose now. Tried pushing it back up but it just comes loose again. (even after a good whack)

Might try and put a bit of supaglue on the edges and push it back in to shape. I think it was weakened though when the rear sensors were installed.

Mr Lovedog - did you get it sorted under warranty?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Spud.

My trim was refitted under warranty, But I have managed to work it loose again. So will get it refixed again when im next in the dealer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cheers

I think I'll wait till the 1st service till I ask them to look at this. I have a feeling that once weakened thats it - it dosn't seem to have holding it together to be honest.

Its bugging me but I'm determined to not get stressed over it as it is fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Did they replace all the trim (it seems to extend all the way over the passenger wheel arch) or did they just try and push it back into fit?

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
The wind caught mine and blew it vertical, I heard the crunch as I closed the tailgate. The left hand bracket/pin had sheared. I went to a local DIY shop and got an M6 or ** spouting bolt to go through the pin. I shortened it with a hacksaw so it was just longer than the recess in the parcel shelf itself. A splodge of superglue and screwed the bolt into the recess, it will just catch on the internal of the shelf which is plastic. Touch wood I've had no problems yet with the home DIY, but then I am being extra carefull now when closing the boot!. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have had exactly the same promblem!! wind blew it vertical i didnt notice shut the boot and it sheared the plastic hinge clean off. The problem is i've been to two different dealers now and they have said i cannot buy the hinge individually but only replace the whole parcel shelf at £165!!! which i think is apalling and a rip off, since the plastic hinge is only pushed in and not a fixed part of the parcel shelf.
Anyone got any

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,

the hinge is hollow. - I repaired mine by getting some bolts from B&Q (other hardware stores are available ;) )

glue the bolt into the hinge and the shelf with something like araldite, when dry (ok...cured), saw off the protruding part of the bolt.

Et voila...

even stronger than before! - there is NO chance this hinge is gonna break again.. it's more likely to rip off the interior panel first !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts