2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone fitted an aftermarket rear parking camera to the Sat Nav screen?

Am really tempted to do it, think I understand the idea of attaching it to the sat nav but am unsure of where to get a camera from and how to instal it at the rear?

Thanks in advance

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
i used a cheap camera off ebay, £35 with nite vision and fits where the origianl goes. this is old stuff.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Anyone fitted an aftermarket rear parking camera to the Sat Nav screen?

Am really tempted to do it, think I understand the idea of attaching it to the sat nav but am unsure of where to get a camera from and how to instal it at the rear?

Thanks in advance
Buy a wireless one from ebay for like 20-30 quid and put the screen in the cubby hole under the radio.

Tom

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I have just had a look on eBay and seem can't find one that would fit. Which one have you got? Did you get the screen seperate or dismantle one that came with it?

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I have just had a look on eBay and seem can't find one that would fit. Which one have you got? Did you get the screen seperate or dismantle one that came with it?
Several car forums have done it, personally I'd have no use, but it has been done on here I believe Maplins also have one for 39.99 IIRC at the moment.

Basically the screen should just slideinto you cubby hole and you just pull it out and turn it on to view it, you can easily hardwire the power from that hole.

TBH running cable for the rear view camera is the biggest PIA here.

ATB,
Tom

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Am now half way through this instal. Have found it quite easy so far - got the Phono/RCA from the satNav to the boot, just need to mount the camera and run the cable from the top of the boot to the camera.

Routing the cable is not too hard but needs a lot of thought as to what trim panels to remove and how they come off. A little time spent thinking causes much less damage to the trim panels no broken clips on mine whatsoever.

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos for a how to but it really isn't that hard.

Will update on progress as soon as i can

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
you dont need to run cable from the satnav unit to the rear of the car, as your camera will have lots of cable, so run that to the satnav unit instead. dont follow the honda camera guide, as you will be pulling off panels and drilling holes all over the place.

i like this quote "A little time spent thinking causes much less damage" you know what i mean:rolleyes:.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
you dont need to run cable from the satnav unit to the rear of the car, as your camera will have lots of cable, so run that the satnav unit instead. dont follow the honda camera guide, as you will be pulling off paneal and drilling holes all over the place.

i like this quote "A little time spent thinking causes much less damage" you know what i mean

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i like this quote "A little time spent thinking causes much less damage" you know what i mean:rolleyes:.
Exactly...

I learnt my lesson the hard way!:facepalm:

When I said running cable I meant the video lead that comes with the camera.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Civinfo...

I have now fitted an aftermarket reversing camera and it didn't cost the £630 that Honda wanted to charge me!!

In fact i reckon I've saved myself at lease £580.

This forum has been a godsend, and I must realy thank those that did the hard work on the basics 1st. Working out how to connect it etc.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
so it all works via the satnav screen? got some pics of where you fitted the camera and image on the satnav screen.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Am now half way through this instal.

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos for a how to but it really isn't that hard.

Will update on progress as soon as i can
Can you follow up with some piccies please??

Id like to see how this looks, the one I saw on eBay seemed to in place of a number plate light? Cant be right surely!

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Can you follow up with some piccies please??

Id like to see how this looks, the one I saw on eBay seemed to in place of a number plate light? Cant be right surely!
Nor legal.........

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forgot to say...

The camera is mounted above the number plate in the same position as the Honda one goes. There is a perfect place next to the number plate light, and a small hole can be drilled next to this to feed the wire through - easily sealed afterwards with a little silicon sealant.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts