2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to adjust the sensitivity of these?

Mine as set up now beeps at about 3 feet, and is on continuous tone at 18 inches, which is not really very useful. If they can't be adjusted, I suppose they will have to join the long and growing list of disappointing electronics in the new Civic

Hands free phone that only works when stationary, and then the voice recognition is poor and slow
Voice control that often needs 3 or 4 goes - is very slow, - and sometimes replies in German!
Radio that has very poor sensitivity - certainly much poorer than my previous Civic
Sat Nav that has to be 'prodded' every time I start the car, and is hard to read in bright conditions

Am I alone in having these grumbles? I know the phone is a widely known issue.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,004 Posts
I dont understand the problem with the sensors?

If it's a continuous beep at 18 inches, then you can rely on that. You maybe have another 6 inches or so when you hit the continuous beep and you'd know this because its predictable??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would prefer to be able to set it at about 6 to 9 inches. 18 inches is too far. The last car I drove with one (a Mercedes) beeped at about 2 - 3 feet, and on came on solid at 6 to 9 inches - and you knew you had to stop about then. At 18 inches as now, you know you have about a foot or more to go safely, but will get no more assistance from the electronics!

All these things are a shame - as the new Civic is a cracking car, but certainly for me the pleasure is slightly spoiled by some rather indifferent electronics!
 

·
estranged
Joined
·
391 Posts
My sensors, fitted by my local dealer a few weeks ago, produce a continuous tone at around 6-9". This would suggest some kind of difference in the setup (and therefore the possibility of altering it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there must be a 'sensitivity' adjustment somewhere. 6-9" would be ideal. Set as mine is now for the continuous tone at 18" you loose all electronic assistance just when you need it most in the closest part of the operation!
 

·
estranged
Joined
·
391 Posts
I'd spend good money, and sell my firstborn into slavery, to get my hands on a Civic wiring diagram.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quite - A full workshop manual would be a heavy read too!

Well - whilst looking around where the bleeper is in the luggage area (why there?) - I noticed that the luggage area light wasn't working. Got out book - and easy job to replace bulb. 1st remove light assembly. On doing that (easy - just as described in the book) - the reason the light didn't come on became apparent - NO WIRES to the fitting!

I have a funny feeling that in order to fit the parking sensors (which are dealer fitted) the boot trim on that side must have to come out, and they have never reconnected the light.

The last new Civic I had (the USA built coupe 1.7 VTEC) had not a single thing wrong with it either on delivery or in 3 years driving, and the Accord Aerodeck (again USA built) before that only 1 fault in 8 years and 120 thousand miles.
 

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
basegreen said:
There is no workshop manual.. It's all on an internal intranet site.
Only until someone nicks it and sells the cd on eBay :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
I am not seeing the problem with the sensors, for me they work great. You have to remember that they are an aid to reversing, not anything else. They shouldn't be relied on solely.
In my mind, a smaller distance for continuous beep (where you should stop) could be dangerous. What if you go back too fast and don't have enough time to stop in the 6" from the warning? What if what you are reversing up to is not flat and has a protrusion that manages to get between the senssors? I think 18" is a lot safer.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,712 Posts
3rd Honda said:
I would prefer to be able to set it at about 6 to 9 inches. 18 inches is too far. The last car I drove with one (a Mercedes) beeped at about 2 - 3 feet, and on came on solid at 6 to 9 inches - and you knew you had to stop about then. At 18 inches as now, you know you have about a foot or more to go safely, but will get no more assistance from the electronics!

All these things are a shame - as the new Civic is a cracking car, but certainly for me the pleasure is slightly spoiled by some rather indifferent electronics!
I would have thought 18" is a good distance. If you park any closer, how is the vehicle behind you going to get out ?. You'll end up with a scraped bumper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Rear sensors also take into account that you may have a towbar fitted, with the extra distance that the towball would take up.
 

·
estranged
Joined
·
391 Posts
Don't forget that sensors aren't only used to see how close you can park to someone but, for example, to see how far you can reverse when trying to get out of a boxed in position.

I find the the beep range (3 feet to 6-9 inches) to be just about right, though I don't tend to reverse at any kind of speed in tight spaces. To be honest, I doubt anyone would need sensors to get within 18 inches of an obstacle!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Cad said:
To be honest, I doubt anyone would need sensors to get within 18 inches of an obstacle!

LOL, :lol: Are you serious? You should have seen the parking in the Tesco car park I was in last week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
Cad said:
Don't forget that sensors aren't only used to see how close you can park to someone but, for example, to see how far you can reverse when trying to get out of a boxed in position.

I find the the beep range (3 feet to 6-9 inches) to be just about right, though I don't tend to reverse at any kind of speed in tight spaces. To be honest, I doubt anyone would need sensors to get within 18 inches of an obstacle!
I have found it helpful a few times, especially when reversing into a bay with a car in the bay behind you. If they have a long, low bonnet, it is impossible to see and without sensors, you are left guessing!
 

·
Smell My Cheese!
Joined
·
1,888 Posts
No, I had them fitted with the City Pack, but I think they are available seperately, they are dealer fit, so can be added at anytime. From talking to the dealer it seems nearly all options are available as dealer fit, except the Satnav and glass roof for obvious reasons
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
mark_uk said:
are the rear parking sensors standard on the EX model ?
With the EX i think you are better with the Parking Camera IMO
 

·
Galaxy class starship
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
richierich said:
No, I had them fitted with the City Pack, but I think they are available seperately, they are dealer fit, so can be added at anytime. From talking to the dealer it seems nearly all options are available as dealer fit, except the Satnav and glass roof for obvious reasons
SatNav
Glass roof
Leather
Metallic Paint


Pretty much everything else is dealer fit so you can take your time making your mind up.
 

·
Smell My Cheese!
Joined
·
1,888 Posts
Sorry Copycat, I stand corrected, I kind of figured the paint and the seats were a given. :oops:
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top