2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a 2007 diesel and noticed a lot of water in the rear passenger-side footwell yesterday. I lifted the carpet and dried everything out, leaving the carpet propped up, but despite some rain today, no new water has come in. The carpet was wettest closest to the door, but didn't rise up much at the edges. Pouring water across the door seal didn't show anything coming in, are there any common exterior areas I should try spraying water to test this? I've searched the forum, but the few threads covering water in the rear footwells generally also have water in the boot, or no answer.

I'm also wondering if this sealant and putty in the footwell is from a previous leak repair, or if it's not uncommon to get this from the factory?

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
You'll find that stuff anywhere in the car where two panels are welded together.
It fills any gaps and covers sharp edges.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, that makes sense.

I managed to track down where the water is entering the footwell in today's heavier rain. It seems to be from under this bolt on the door-side underneath the rear seat (that black plastic trim on the right is the base of the door trim on the rear pillar). Does anyone have any idea where it's likely to be getting in if it's coming out here, or do I just need to start pulling everything out once the weather clears up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I took all of the boot trim and carpet out today and found a possible entry point and one other area that seems to be leaking. End up snapping two of the bolts that secure the inner boot lid in place, they'd rusted through.

The bottom of the jack storage compartment was flooded, which may be coming in from one of the rear lights or the fuel filler and one of the seams near the top of the wheel arch was rusted with water gathering on it and none above it, although if it was coming in higher up it may have just dried up.

This is the seam on the wheel arch, but I'm not sure if this is actually where the water is entering.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
That sounds to me like water getting in through the vent flap in the body work.
Behind the bumper below the jack is where that sits - water can get sucked back in to the car if the flaps have worn or got damaged.
It's a bumper off job to confirm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The water sitting in the jack compartment is running in from higher up on the wheel arch and running down that point. Is that still likely to be from the vent flap? It's also coming in while the car isn't running.

Annoyingly I noticed today that there also seems to be water ingress around the bushing at the top of the wheel arch, which I assume means replacing that.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
now you've described the flow I would say nothing to do with the vent.
i would try tipping some water into the fuel filler area and see if the drain hole is blocked.
the water should pour out of the bottom of the car below the shock. if the drain is blocked then it could be running back inside.
if by "bushing" you mean the top mount for the rear shock then try loosening off the nut and re-seating the rubber and tightening it back up - may have come loose and let water in, there is a bush on top of the shock outside and the visible one inside. Not sure if using any kind of sealant here is advisable.
rear light should not be an issue since the water getting past that should run down the outer skin of the car under the mass of plastic rear bumper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I've tracked the original source of the leak down to either the rubber wiring gaiter, or a hairline crack starting at the end of the roof guttering. I'm going to seal both up, along with the rusted bits inside where the water was getting into the boot compartment. The hairline crack is discussed in this thread, I'm not sure if the wiring gaiters can leak into the same location.

I don't think the rear shock top mount was actually leaking at all, water was just coming in from the top and directly down from the metal shelf above it directly onto the top mount, making it look like that was a leak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice. I've just sealed it up with Sikaflex as I had a tube lying around, squeezed as much into the crack as I could and then smoothed it across the top.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts