2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have this constant rattle in the rear i think is rear left by door. Initially i thought it was the door handle on the outside as it was a little loose and it is that kind of plastic like sound but after taping that up it is still there.
Have looked at:
Parcel shelf,
seat belt and its attachings
Roof handle and hook
Seat fixings
Something in door ( open and close quickly to see)

Cant find it.

Anyone any ideas where to look? Im very ocd about these sort of things and i cant find it
Thank you

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear arch trim loose?
Oh yes i forgot to say that too, i checked the other day when washing car.

Seems like inside rattle, i know rattles can be anywhere and deceiving but sounds like somewhere around the seatbelt, headrest, roof handle, that corner.

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
The internal trim or door card?

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
I'd tap it, you can soon feel if it vibrates.

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Empty your boot and the side compartments that house the jack/etc. Then see if the noise persists.

Have you checked the rear tailgate for any play when closed? Maybe the corner bump stops need winding out a smidge?

Also have a look at the rear corner lights. Both of my housings were loose and after removing/adding felt/similar the tappety-tap stopped.

Also check the rear seats are secure into the floor properly.

Oh and good luck tracking it down.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
I'm surprised no one has said, get a passenger to sit in the back and try and find it.

My 8G's had a rattle that was where the seat belt metal bit touched the hard plastic bit. I solved that with some wide black velcro, the fluffy side, stuck just so.

Best way to get that off the list is to do up the belts.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
The 9G is just the same in that when the belts are at rest the shiny metal bit sits just mm's from the hard plastic.

I realised that on my way home with my first 8G and solved it within minutes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for more prompts.

Boot is empty except for the tool wrap thing near the front of the boot in that pocket, its too far away for the sound but i'll take that out to check. Rear lights i unscrewed both before to clean the bit where the water runs down and tightened all back up.

Brother was round last week, had him sit there, he also thinks its coming from that corner, he held the seatbelt so not that.

Things to check are:
Doorcard
Tool bag
Tailgate, - good one, i'll check that. What are these tailgate bumpstops?
Re-check seats

Thanks all.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
I had a similar rattle on a Citroen Xantia and the way we found it was to take out everything from the boot including the parcel shelf. As already mentioned.

My passenger then went into diagnostic mode with a length of tubing that we used as a pseudo stethoscope. Best way to pinpoint it.

The rattle wasn't where it sounded but ended up being one of the hydraulic boot struts that was loose but only when the tailgate was closed so it wasn't under pressure.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You will probably find the noise is from the locking catch on the rear seat upright part, I had the same noise. It comes from the loop of metal that the catch locates on what happens is the original plastic coating on the bracket wears causing a rattle, the solution is to wrap some insulation tape around the metal loop so that the catch locks in a bit tighter, a 5 min job to fix.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you, you were right painter,

it was the seat folding catch BUT unfortunately after fixing this noise another appeared, similar-ish sound from similar place but a lot louder and lot more rattley. :( Must have loosened something when i folded the seats down.!
The first noise was pretty much constant but quiet. now it is 80% of the time but louder! Seems to be the same place....sigh!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts