2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone help please? We have a 56 reg Civic and just recently had a baby. This has made us realise that the seatbelts in the rear seats lock up really easily. If you pull the belt out to wrap around the baby seat, and accidentally recoil it slightly, it just locks up and you have to recoil the whole thing and start all over again.

The only work around at the moment is to pull the whole belt fully out at the beginning, and hold it in place with one hand whilst fitting it round the seat with another. If it slips back slightly, the process has to start all over again and it's a real nightmare with a screaming baby in the seat as well.

All the rear belts seem to work this way but the front seat belts don't - in the front you just need to recoil slightly to unlock and re-extend, not put them all the way back again, so this seems to be design? If so, how can it be changed? Or is this a known fault?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most modern cars do it. It's to hold the car seat in place tighter when you leave go of the belt. I use it all the time when getting my sons car seat in (the seat is held much firmer then in my old car which didn't have this feature)

Only way around it is to not fully extend the belt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is, it doesn't just do it when the belt is fully extended, it locks up even partly extended too?

·
Jayne here too!!
676 Posts
We had this problem in our type s gt, but in our 60reg type rwe have the opposite the seatbelts dont lock so we had no choice but to scrap the seat we paid £80 for and buy a maxi cosi isofix base & seat at almost £200!!! We have had good use out of it and its so much easier!

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
my rear seatbelts do the same....looks like i owe my eldest daughter an apology :facepalm:

she has complained many times since i bought the car how the belt locks up, the only solution is to unfasten it and re-buckle.

can't see the logic in this as they are all inertia reel seat belts :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts