2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Got a query. I had my MOT today and all passed and good, however my rear tyres were wearing a lot faster on the inner side wall...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440873900.750171.jpg

My car is lowered on 30mm eibach springs. This time last year I had my wheels aligned etc. it came up with these results...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440873885.850153.jpg

Now, to stop this uneven tyre wear, I think I need some rear shims, however I don't know what ones to get and whether I need to do anything else? And considering that the alignment was done a year a go, do I have to get it done again or can I still go by these figures?

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Hey mate, hard to tell exactly but I would assume it was down to the negative camber set up the have done on the rear....I could be wrong tho

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm sure it is too mate, however I'm at loss as to what to do, as in whats size shims i need to to buy and whether to get some toe shims also?

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Yeh I would say that something should be changed but hard to tell as what....have you thought about taking it back to the garage that did your setup and just kindly explain your situation....sure they won't mind mate

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't feel they have an answer as they simply said they couldn't adjust the rear due to the torsion bar and never gave me a solution.

I've posted this in the ABP forum, so hopefully they can shed some light ;)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I would recommend leaving the camber as it is and concentrating on the toe-out on the right rear. That's going to be more detrimental to tyre wear than 2' of negative camber.

So it would be one shim, fitted to the rear right side to make the toe similar to the left. It's not an exact science but I'd hope to see the right rear end up toeing-in about 5/8 mins, similar to the left.

I hope this helps. The shims are £8.50 and I can post it out for around £3.00 recorded.

Give me a call if you'd like to order.

Rich

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats great, thanks Rich.

However even though the toe would be of a similar value, would this sort out the tyre wear at all? The only reason I ask is because the tyres are wearing down at a similar rate on both sides.

Im guessing its also safe to run off last years alignment figures, savings me the need to get it checked again now before committing to a decision?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The toe has more of an effect on wear, however if they are wearing similarly, the camber is the only thing out on the rear left.

We can correct the camber as well, using a 1' camber shim. But without the car being here, on our ramp, I'm unsure of how much that will then effect the toe on the rear left. You may end up fitting the shim on the right, to sort toe. Fitting the left caber shim, having another reading taken, sending it over to me, and then doing the job again as you will undoubtedly have to fit a toe shim to the rear left, after already having it apart for the camber shim.

As for last years figures, the rear geo is all fixed, so it should be the same or at least very similar.

I hope this makes sense.

Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts