2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyones rear side window seal do as per the image?

It's been like it since I bought it and wondered why it had fibres from, what I presume is a brush from buffing up the car prior to sale around it.

The sticking out bits to poke back in but always seem to end up sticking out again.

·
Super Moderator
3,581 Posts
Mine were like that. Had them both changed under warranty. The driver's side one is doing it again after about 6 months. Piss poor design. I think I'll stick it down.
There have been several reports here about it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Christ did Honda actually test ANYTHING on this car before they put it in to production?!

It’s some comfort to know I’m not the only one. If every owner claimed the ‘air con whistle’ fix, the ‘sun roof rattle’ and the replacement seals seen here it would massively hamper their profit margin surely!

Other than cosmetically is there any other issue?

What’s the next issue I’ll discover... I thought cars were engineered, not thrown together by monkeys!

·
Super Moderator
3,581 Posts
Yep. Front proximity beepers going off when they are wet. Sat nav wandering. Idle Stop not working properly.
Apparently there is a fix for all three of these ones now.

·
What ya at
841 Posts
Front sensors issues
Air con whistle
Stop start issue
Car battery replacement
Rattles on A pillar and dash
Glovebox slow release mechanism broke
Seals under rear spoiler coming out
Issue with fuel filler
Auto lights stopped working
Auto wipers stopped working
rear boot blind/tray jammed.
Squeal from brakes issue
Auto mirrors stoped working
Various paint issues around door welds and seams cracking paint and rusting
Rear light clusters fitted two close to body which removed paint
Failed windscreen washers nozzles
All issues fixed under warranty

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty poor indeed. Is this your own experience?

It's all very well being fixed under warranty, but when they arise again (like my sunroof rattle, and M8TJT's rear side window seals) and repeated visits are needed it becomes possibly more hassle than ownership is worth!

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
jasus... makes my 9gen look reliable.
if i was so invested in time and money, i'd of jumped the sinking ship to another marque. i genuinely think a peugeot would be more reliable.

·
What ya at
841 Posts
Pretty poor indeed. Is this your own experience?

It's all very well being fixed under warranty, but when they arise again (like my sunroof rattle, and M8TJT's rear side window seals) and repeated visits are needed it becomes possibly more hassle than ownership is worth!
Yes the paint issues on the door welds were the last straw for me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Moved over to a new corolla for the time been got tired of the issues. The cousin having the exact same problem with his civic.
Sorry to hear you had such a rough time with yours. mine has had a few niggles but nothing serious. (Fingers crossed) Hows the Toyota?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
What ya at
841 Posts
Sorry to hear you had such a rough time with yours. mine has had a few niggles but nothing serious. (Fingers crossed) Hows the Toyota?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Can’t complain now it’s quiet and comfortable car, handles well on the road and has a good quality interior, infotainment system could do with better graphics. It has a similar safety sense package as the civic and fuel economy is excellent. Came with 3 year warranty 3 year free servicing 5 year hybrid battery warranty also free mats, free boot liner, free moulded mud flaps.

The civic was coming up on two years old anyway so it was time for it to go.
We’re hoping to pick up a new crv hybrid in 2020 for our second car.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine were like that. Had them both changed under warranty. The driver's side one is doing it again after about 6 months. Piss poor design. I think I'll stick it down.
There have been several reports here about it.
I like your thinking - I think I'd rather stick mine down than:

1. Take to Honda Dealer (25 miles away). Allow them to look at the problem and confirm that they agree it is an issue.
2. Wait for them to contact me to book an appointment once they have the replacement parts in stock.
3. Take my car in, leave it with them for 2-3 days whilst I drive around in a 1.2 manual Jazz with no CarPlay (I have a 1.5 Turbo CVT).
4. Collect my car and enjoy its now non-flappy rear side window rubbery bits.
5. Based on your experience, six months later - repeat steps 1-4.
6. Six months later, repeat steps 1-4 again.
7. How many times???

So any ideas on what to use to stick them down? Are they actually rubber do we know or just plastic?

·
Super Moderator
3,581 Posts
I'm going to try some "Sticks Like" from Wickes. Instant grab and still slightly flexible when set I believe. Unless anyone has a better suggestion that doesn't cost me a month's pension.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is actually the 'fail' with the design of these? Are they tearing a small amount, or are they coming out of the gap which they are wedged in to at one end?

Add to this those rear side windows aren't exactly 'robust' are they? Mine have a certain amount of movement when you apply a small amount of force (non Star Wars type) upon them.

I saw a 2017 Civic in a car park yesterday and it had the 'flappy seal' issue. I wonder if on Honda's database the title of the technical bulletin is 'Rear side window flappy seal'? :smile3: Of course with the sub heading - fix on complaint!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I suspect in an effort to save weight whereever possible, that this piece, which is an awkward shape with little support is so thin it doesn't take much during mfg to become so thin it curls! the mfg tolerances may need tightening up to ensure consistency, or make the part thicker and add cost!

But it is just a cover for the rear quarter section, so the garage told me, there is nothing behind it that water could get into the car so aside from being annoying when washing the car there should be no other damage.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Both of our civics have this issue, TBH I shall just be using a small piece of 3M Automotive Tape and sticking down - its just an appearance issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried sticking the ends down but eventually sprung out again when washing the car. Ended up cutting the end off with a surgical blade and masking up and filling the void with black silicone and smoothing down. Job done😀

·
Living the dream!
8,542 Posts
On the FK8 both sides did this but left is as I have got rid of this, on the wifes sports plus only one side did it and had this replaced and been fine since while my sport plus both are fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts