2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Needed my rear subframe replaced as it corroded and snapped. Luckily it didn't take out any of the suspension or brake cables. There are not many posts about how much this costs in the UK, so thought I would share.

I was told a Dealer part was £1000+ not including labour.
The cost fitted at my independent garage was £750 - The aftermarket part was £430.

Considering the full suspension needs to be removed then replaced on the new part, I think that this is not too bad. Others I am sure, will let me know if I am wrong.

Cheers.

·
i-Vtec
5,429 Posts
Worst part of that job is the brake lines. @Bazoo and me did his in about 3 hours on the ground. There are only 4 bolts securing it, 2 on the chassis and 2 on the bottom of the shocks. Brakes need dismantled and the Bearing hub assembly removed and transferred over. They were correct on the dealer part price, but you can get a new after market axle now for about £200.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
How much is a bearing hub assembly? Other than the wheel bearing what else is needed?

Just thinking ahead to if I ever have to do it. I've replaced the entire suspension last year and I'm well versed with brakes.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Not all of them suffer from the rear axle snapping. It's mainly cars that have been up north or coastal.

You will see all the rust around the rear end before it snaps if you're doing your own work.

If mine goes, I'll grab the whole rear axle and suspension off a breakers yard and swap over the best parts from my car and the scrappy. Probably cost around £200-£300 as well.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Yeah being able to build stuff when off the car in your spare time is a God send when working on your drive...

I'm so glad I built the struts of my suspension in my living room at my leisure so all I had to do was bolt on the new ones on the day of the fitting.

Having a near complete rear axle to bolt on would reduce a lot of stress for the sake of a bit more money.

·
Registered
615 Posts
There's always a couple of complete rear axles minus struts / springs & calipers on eBay. I'd only replace what needs to be swapped such as perished rear axle bushes. Otherwise I'd replace it as it came off the scrapyard.

Of course you'll need to install your own rear calipers etc and then bleed the whole system. Probably take you a good few hours on a drive, probably the course of two days.

But as I mentioned, you usually see the whole car's rear end is covered in rust before the axle snaps, always why it's important to look underneath a 8th gen before buying. Seen a few people stung on older FN2's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts