2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open question -

Having test driven (and ordered) a Civic, the biggest single thing that might have changed my mind is the very poor visibility when reversing (at least in my opinion). To combat this I bought the rear parking sensors.

I was considerably interested to hear my dealers viewpoint when I was talking to him about my somewhat crap parking. Initially I was going to buy the rear view camera but he said he though it a waste of money - the viewing angle is poor and obscured by sunlight when it's a bright day (his words).

Has anyone actually bought either (or both) these systems, and what are your thoughts on how well they work and their value for money (neither is exactly cheap)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotta say - the camera does seem to be pretty hot. Is there any kind of 'proximity' warning or is it not necessary - thinking more about it another comment was the difficulty whe looking anywhere but directly behind?

I keep trying to think of more and more ingenious ways of throwing money around and might just one after all (though their expensive they are probably cheaper than canning my neighbour's Lexus!

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Got into and out of some very small parking spaces today and it was all down to the rearview camera. Some of the spaces were so small I couldn't open the door to get out :oops: and had to find another parking space. It is about the only problem I have with it - it magifies (or appears to ) the gap into which you are reversing but i wouldn't swap for sensors :)

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
My dealer advised that the party line was not to market the camera as a parking aid, probably to avoid future legal issues if anyone had a prang whilst using it to park, I went for the sensors in the end got a few quid off the book price when I balked at what they quoted me for painted sensors on a car with such poor rear visibility.

The camera is cool might have to get one so my little EX would have real car park bragging rights, the boss's BMW 5 series has a pictorial representation on the screen of the parking sensor readings, think the camera would trump that! 8).

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have two issues with the rear camera (no, i don't have it).

Firstly, looking at the photos of the rear of the car, it looks a bit exposed. What's to stop some oik trying to nick it to have a cool mini camera?
I don't think I would be comfortable reversing looking ahead at a display. The sensors are great, you can look where you are meant to when reversong (out of back window) and the snesors jsut help you out. Manufacturers are right not to market it as a reversing aid, as soon as somebody gets knocked flying by somebody reversong at 30mph, the poop would hit the fan. People will rely solely on the camera.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
The camera is bolted on (it's very secure), and not that visible when you walk past the rear of the car:

cam1.jpg

cam2.jpg

When you use it, you reverse as normal (turning round, mirrors etc) until you're at that point when you can't judge how far you are from the obstacle behind - possibly the last 18 inches or so. Only then do you look forward and use it to make sure you don't hit the car behind. I will normally only travel a few inches backwards whilst looking forwards.

For me, the biggest reason not to buy it is the sheer cost!

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I’ve got neither and have no problem parking at all, it's like anything you get to know your car length/width after a while, I haven't scuffed a wheel or touched another bumper whilst parking, I find the power steering helps allot though so you can snake nicely into a spot if you do get it wrong at first.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Glass Spider said:
I’ve got neither and have no problem parking at all, it's like anything you get to know your car length/width after a while, I haven't scuffed a wheel or touched another bumper whilst parking, I find the power steering helps allot though so you can snake nicely into a spot if you do get it wrong at first.
:shock: Gee I hope that you are not superstitious - obviously not :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
36 Posts
anyone know if it is possible to get a non-civic camera and wire it in to the nav screen so that it switches on when reversing? Is there just a bog standard video-in socket floating about somewhere?

·
Banned
72 Posts
This system looks the Biz for anyone wanting a rear camera but not having the Honda sat nav(as you need a monitor), the replacement mirror combines as rear mirror and monitor I have also seen the 5 inch version that displays sat nav info but this one is a 4 inch it retails near the same price as the Honda rear camera option. See 4 inch mirror-based r/v kit H.D. camera D4908 on the website below.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/c/rear_view_systems/

·
Registered
251 Posts
Has anyone actually had both the camera and the sensors installed? Would it make sense?

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Skaven252 said:
Has anyone actually had both the camera and the sensors installed? Would it make sense?
The lens fitted to the rear view camera is a very wide angle one and gives such a good view that I cannot think of a situation where sensors would be needed. The only problem I have had with the rear view camera is reversing into spaces that would not allow me to open the doors :oops:

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
I havent got a camera or sensors on my civic - and I keep reversing into things.....doh! (Sensors on my SEAT Alahambra)

The first time I drove a hire car witout sensors, I drove into a tree. Moral of the story....dont get dependant on them as one day they might fail!!!!

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Miggins - Perhaps it would be cheaper to get some aftermarket sensors fitted [smilie=hrmm.gif]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts