2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Deluded FK2 Owner
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be missing something obvious, but does anybody know what the power button on the rear view mirror does? Initially, I thought it may be something to do with dimming headlight reflections, but with the tinted windows at the back, I can't see any difference. As far as I can tell, it just turns the green LED on/ off. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
It turns the auto dimming rear view mirror on and off. Green light means it is on and working.

·
Deluded FK2 Owner
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does a power button usually do?
"I can't see any difference. As far as I can tell, it just turns the green LED on/ off" - I'm trying to establish the intended behavior, so from Loxy's answer, mine doesn't seem to be working.

·
Registered
19 Posts
"I can't see any difference. As far as I can tell, it just turns the green LED on/ off" - I'm trying to establish the intended behavior, so from Loxy's answer, mine doesn't seem to be working.

I thought my dimming function wasn't working.
But I think if a car is behind you at night and the mirror isn't dimming (or doesn't seem to be) and it's switched on. It may be because the car behind is a certain distance behind you that the beam that goes across the back windscreen is in line with the lights and is blocking the light to the sensor on the mirror.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,135 Posts
The dimmed effect isn't quite as dark as the manual mirror.

I can understand that tinted windows would interfere with a full dim. Get a torch and do some testing, shine it on the mirror sensor, next to the button, and see what happens.

·
Deluded FK2 Owner
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm guessing that if you have tinted windows then the lights behind probably aren't bright enough to trigger the auto dimming function? Had this happen in a previous Ford.
Just in case you don't know the auto dimming function (if same as 8th generation) doesn't physically move the mirror. It adds a bluish hue to the glass itself using some magic.
I thought my dimming function wasn't working.
But I think if a car is behind you at night and the mirror isn't dimming (or doesn't seem to be) and it's switched on. It may be because the car behind is a certain distance behind you that the beam that goes across the back windscreen is in line with the lights and is blocking the light to the sensor on the mirror.
The dimmed effect isn't quite as dark as the manual mirror.

I can understand that tinted windows would interfere with a full dim. Get a torch and do some testing, shine it on the mirror sensor, next to the button, and see what happens.
I did think it must be something like auto dimming- but I have seen mirrors with camera out displays in them too, so wasn't sure if it was either (not that it'd make sense to have the camera screen duplicated in the rear view mirror of course, when it's already on the head unit) =P.

The tinted windows may be interfering, that does make sense- I still can't seem to see any difference when a cars headlamps are in my view. Saying that, I haven't looked for a blueish hue, so I'll have a closer look next time I'm driving in the dark. Cheers guys =)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Easiest way to test it is, during day time, just put your finger over the sensor on the back of the mirror that looks out of the windscreen, that way the mirror thinks it's dark out front but light behind and the mirror will tint.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,135 Posts
Interesting

I always thought it responded to car headlights following. Dimmed when it needed to.

·
Registered
879 Posts
It does, there is a light sensor forward and a light sensor backwards. When it's dark forward eg. Night and light behind eg. Car behind , it tints the mirror. Light both ways = day time. Dark both ways = night time.

With both the Civic 5dr split rear window and tinted glass , actually it doesn't need to work so hard.

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Interesting

I always thought it responded to car headlights following. Dimmed when it needed to.
seems to be how mine works - dims on demand.
if light from the rear, then it'll dim and you'll see a slight green tint to the headlights behind you, and typically wont be able to see the white lines either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts