2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Currently in my Megane and in a lot of new cars as standard you get a polorising rear view mirror which basically dims itself if bright lights are shining from the rear.... does the Civic's come with one of these?

:)

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
The MkV Golf I had before the Civic, had that as an extra. And very good it was too.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
The Civic has a rear spoiler that blocks the bright headlights of the car behind you. Which is not the same thing and that's not what its for but you can use it to your advantage if you want.

I agree it would have been better to have a polarising mirror, but even Honda drivers can't have everything apparently.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Copycat said:
The Civic has a rear spoiler that blocks the bright headlights of the car behind you. Which is not the same thing and that's not what its for but you can use it to your advantage if you want.

I agree it would have been better to have a polarising mirror, but even Honda drivers can't have everything apparently.
It does a great job of doing that - headlight glare is a real problem for me. I hate it!

Driving at night in the Civic is so much better than my last car - I have the dash brightness right up, and it seems to help with the glare a lot cos of the blue ambience.

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
moony2345 said:
Hi,

Currently in my Megane and in a lot of new cars as standard you get a polorising rear view mirror which basically dims itself if bright lights are shining from the rear.... does the Civic's come with one of these?

:)
Don't you find that at times you don't want it to dim? alot of BMW owners i know complain of that.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I found the self dimming mirrors (doors & interior) brilliant. Especially in

heavy, stop start traffic. Having to manually dip the mirror seems a bit

old hat now.

It has'nt put me off the Civic though !!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Actually, on a car like the new Civic with so many hi-tech features I find that it's quite nice that you still have to do something yourself sometimes :)

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I find it a bit tricky, adjusting the outside mirrors, whilst driving :wink: :wink:

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
elfa7 said:
I find it a bit tricky, adjusting the outside mirrors, whilst driving :wink: :wink:
At least the are adjusted electrically. My 206 has manual mirrors on it, and reaching to the other side of the car can be a bit risky at 70 mph. :)

Speaking of polarising, has anyone had their rear windows blackened? 8)

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
The point I am making is that its far safer to have self polarising mirrors,

especially in heavy traffic. You don't have to take your hand off the wheel.

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
elfa7 said:

Except to change gear.....open the window....operate sat nav cos voice controls don't recognise your commands.....have a drink and a sandwich :lol:

Personally don't think it's a big deal to switch the rear mirror by hand, haven't had to yet thanks to split screen.

Also with the mirror polarising itself at night would you be less likely to see blue lights?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Kpow99 said:
elfa7 said:

Except to change gear.....open the window....operate sat nav cos voice controls don't recognise your commands.....have a drink and a sandwich :lol:

Personally don't think it's a big deal to switch the rear mirror by hand, haven't had to yet thanks to split screen.

Also with the mirror polarising itself at night would you be less likely to see blue lights?
Maybe so - means less chav in your rearview mirror! :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have not got a Civic yet, but notice that the Accord has a Auto-dimming rear view mirror - Would be interesting to see if this could be a modification. There should be ample power from that area of the car, and also maybe a lights-on sens wire would be needed.

It would be too much to hope that the mounts would be the same :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts