2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know how this hasn't been posted yet as every Civic I've seen at the dealers (and mine), has this problem.

Mine is currently awaiting replacement but I have been told that this has been attempted elsewhere and not succeeded. On top of this, Honda are rejecting warranty claims as this is a "characteristic" of the vehicle. The problem exists in the seal between the rear glass and the rear perspex of the boot panel. It ranges from an inch or two of condensation to the whole rear screen.

Now, based on the fact that Honda are #1 on reliability surveys based on warranty claims, it would seem beneficial for them that less warranties get honoured.

Hmm...

Anyone else have the same issue?

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
As I have pointed out before on other threads any "characteristic" must be pointed out AT THE TIME OF SALE under the Sale of Goods Act! If it is not then Honda must put it right :mad:

How many more "characteristics" are there to this car I wonder!!!!

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
I have this 'issue' with my car. All the way left to right. It was there before they replaced the glass and spoiler and it's there now.

It might be helpful to know if there are ones out there that do not have this. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Can anyone make a picture of this.
Is this condensation blocking the view or is it the seal outside...
Not clear for me.
If it is the seal outside, then it is purely cosmetic, after you have given your baby a bath, or when it has been left alone in the rain...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't clear up like condensation in the rear light clusters do, it's permanent. Shall take pictures later.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
On mine, moisture gets trapped between the rubber seal and the perspex, just cosmetic I think. Happens on the light clusters also, like many other cars.
I guess over time it will encourage mould to develop and wondered if some water-repellent spray or grease would help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may be cosmetic but it's a new car with supposedly high build quality based on the company manufacturing it. If you pay for a new car, you do not expect to have to "live with" condensation due to poorly designed seals, be whatever cluster or area they are in. Sales of goods does state reasonable quality and if a seal is supposed to keep water out... but isn't, surely that seal is flawed. If the seal is consistent throughout the range then surely the quality of the whole line is flawed?

I would expect this issue to be dealt with by Honda under the warranty or the dealership under sales of goods. Surely that isn't too much to ask?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, mine's like that all the way across.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Yes, every Civic has this indeed.
It does clear out after it is dry for a while.
I do wonder if the temp. drops to -10 -20 or so if the plastic does not crack?
Anybody from Finland or so?

It can be solved I think, remove the spoiler, paint the inside of this part black. The condense will be there but you wil not see it...

·
Registered
88 Posts
oh, c'mon, you must be joking?? How can you see that as a problem? Next thisn will be something like 'dirt is gathering on my mats'...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Considering that the dealer curbed my storm wheels before collection, I had padding under my car from transport that hadn't been removed during the PDI, I had a scratch in my door and bumper, I have the vinyl scuffed on the B pillar of the passenger door, I have a full set of rear lights which all have bad condensation (after already being replaced once), I've had two visits to the dealer due to the fuel cap problem, my mirror wasn't fitted properly at the factory and wasn't picked up during PDI AND not to mention the fact that the car only had two, what I would call, well aligned panels AND the fact that the light in my boot has only worked for 30 minutes in total then YES, it is a problem.

Do not play down my problems just because you, yourself don't mind poor quality goods.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
oh, c'mon, you must be joking?? How can you see that as a problem? Next thisn will be something like 'dirt is gathering on my mats'...
No I think you will find dirt on the mats is definately not a problem!!

However, some of us do have "problems" with this car I for sure can not afford to waste £15,500 on a car that has so many problems. I also have condensation on the whole rear cluster of lights and the two rear indictators and it looks horrible!! I have not mentioned this to the dealership as I am trying to sort out another "bigger" problem at the moment but I agree with Shaz, it can only be classed as poor quality goods caused by poor design and ineffective quality control!

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Considering that the dealer curbed my storm wheels before collection, I had padding under my car from transport that hadn't been removed during the PDI, I had a scratch in my door and bumper, I have the vinyl scuffed on the B pillar of the passenger door, I have a full set of rear lights which all have bad condensation (after already being replaced once), I've had two visits to the dealer due to the fuel cap problem, my mirror wasn't fitted properly at the factory and wasn't picked up during PDI AND not to mention the fact that the car only had two, what I would call, well aligned panels AND the fact that the light in my boot has only worked for 30 minutes in total then YES, it is a problem.

Do not play down my problems just because you, yourself don't mind poor quality goods.

Even if a thousand have no problem and you have, you have every justification to be be angry. Very angry. Honda will never get back to their former build quality if they're constantly being forgiven or excused for running a sloppy line at Swindon.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Certainly a potential problem is that if it is constantly wet in there, in the long term it greatly increases the chances of mould growth, material deterioration etc. I believe that the tailgate is plastic, not steel, but are there steel clips etc that will rust?

·
Registered
88 Posts

I wasn't talking about your other problems (because i didn't even know you had them), i was just reffering to your 'problem' mentioned in the first post and the topic title. And i pretty much mind poor quality goods, which my honda civic most definately is not.

And besides, majority of the problems you mention above is most likely caused by your dealer, so don't associate all those problems to the build quality of the car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The major issues, being the incorrectly fitted wingmirror (the backing of the mirror was fitted under the fitting... schoolboy error), the bonnet panel was out, the front passenger door was out, the rear passenger door IS out, the bonnet IS out, the whole rear cluster has condensation, from indicator to indicator and the boot light doesn't work due to a deisgn flaw (apparently the wire to the boot light is extremely short so it can pop out).

But yes, all dealer flaws! Obviously.

The build quality of the car is not good, it is to be expected really as you get more bang for your buck (so to speak) from Honda. You don't expect panels to be fitted incorrectly when robotics are used though...

And back to the issue in hand, something is not fit for purpose on my car, I have a warranty and I'm backed by Sales of Goods... I don't see why this "isn't" a big issue?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The major issues, being the incorrectly fitted wingmirror (the backing of the mirror was fitted under the fitting... schoolboy error), the bonnet panel was out, the front passenger door was out, the rear passenger door IS out, the bonnet IS out, the whole rear cluster has condensation, from indicator to indicator and the boot light doesn't work due to a deisgn flaw (apparently the wire to the boot light is extremely short so it can pop out).

But yes, all dealer flaws! Obviously.

The build quality of the car is not good, it is to be expected really as you get more bang for your buck (so to speak) from Honda. You don't expect panels to be fitted incorrectly when robotics are used though...

And back to the issue in hand, something is not fit for purpose on my car, I have a warranty and I'm backed by Sales of Goods... I don't see why this "isn't" a big issue?

Haha, this is getting redicolous... i haven't said they were ALL dealer faults, so don't twist my statements please ;)

You obviously got a lemon, i'm not happy about that, but hey, have you though maybe that majority of other civics are well built?

I think you sir would be much better off with a vw golf, astra or focus. I bet that they all have the build quality you need

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If a ford or a vauxhall has a better build quality than a Honda then the world is a very scary place :(

1 - 20 of 58 Posts