2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, i have test driven the civic, now everyone bangs on about the view out of the rear of the vehicle. But in your opinions after it becomes natural what is your opinion on it, does it become an annoying thing.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I don't find the rear window a problem at all,where the two windows join in the middle it cuts out the headlights behind at night. If people can't use their mirrors whilst parking then they should'nt be allowed on the roads lol.

·
The Ginga Ninga
126 Posts
Agree with fidsey.
I was a bit dubious when I test drove ours, but you do get used to it.
Now we don't think about it

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Exactly as above, you get used to it and the mirrors are nice and big! The wife manages with it on her EX as well.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Have to agree with everyone else, it's just not an issue after you get used to it. The fact the spoiler prevents headlight glare at night is a big bonus in my eyes :)

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Rear view is fine when driving, and yes, I'd go for the bar being excellent for reducing glare of headlights behind.

BUT - parking is difficult. Nice to say "use you mirrors" but this doesn't work for parallel parking with a car behind you, and also if you're trying to get up close to something.

HOWEVER - there is a fix which is theparking sensors. I was glad mine had them fitted, and they can be done cheaper than the dealer price but I'd personally say they should have been standard fit.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I find it's excellent for blocking the headlights of the person behind, the only issue I have is that it makes it nearly impossible to gauge distance. E.g. I'll parallel park and from the mirror it looks like I'm about to hit the car behind, however when I get out there's 2 feet worth of space between my car and theirs.

Parking sensors would definitely sort this, but I can't be bothered with the expense.

·
Type S GT Driver, LOVE IT
384 Posts
i agree with others, good for stopping blinding lights! but is a bit difficult for guaging distances.. can manage fine with it though :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
try and get the dealer to fit parking sensors as part of the deal.the civic is such great car to drive and own,that when i test drove my car,rear viewing and parking was not something i worried about.but as you can see from other comments-the bar across the rear window is a bonus at night.buy one,i dont think you will regret it.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I don't find the rear window a problem at all,where the two windows join in the middle it cuts out the headlights behind at night. If people can't use their mirrors whilst parking then they should'nt be allowed on the roads lol.
+1

the parking sensors help though.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
+1

the parking sensors help though.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I was paranoid about the view on my test drive too, but like above, the big mirrors are a massive help, parralel parking can be tricky if a tight space so parking sensors would be a bonus but not essential in my eyes

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree with all of the above. Parking sensors are essential (for me anyway!), view is no worse than my old C4 coupe, or indeed my other half's DS3.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I quickly got used to the spoiler. The headlight blocking effect is good, but if a car with very blue HIDs is behind it can sometimes look like a flashing blue light!
I find it harder getting used to driving with the rear seats up as it blocks the lower part of the rear view.

Terry

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I have had my Civic since last October, and it is true that rear visibility is reduced due to the spoiler.
The only good thing about this is what others have said - it prevents glare from following cars headlights when they are at the normal distance behind you. Having said that.....my previous car had an auto dimming rear view mirror, which meant a car could have its main beam on right behind me and i wouldnt be blinded at all, it worked brilliantly.

I dont find any issue with parking connected with the rear spoiler, but what does annoy me the most is that i cannot read car number plates when they are immediately behind me, and for that matter, i frequently cannot tell what make of car it is.
A rear wiper is always desirable, but i havent missed this as much as i expected to.

This design feature has not been a popular one, and is the reason it has been removed on the 9th Generation Civic.
It is by no means a reason to decide against buying the current Civic though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts