2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

This may sound a daft question........ When i started the car this morning the oil light has come on. Checked levels and they are fine it was also only changed a few months ago.

Is there any other reason for it to flash up? Also how can I turn it off?

Thanks in advance
Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too had that - you will find it is a oil can with a ! Next to it. I took mine to the dealer and they charged me £75 for a software upgrade to cure it. Mine is a 2007 model 2.2 diesel.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? That's a bit pants.

My car had it's MOT yesterday so I just wondered if I sensor or something may have been damaged? Might just be coincidence?

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
i had this while driving soon quickly pulled over turned engine off check level its was alright so i let it cool slightly for around 15mins started it back up now it is fine i did an oil change not long after but i read in the manual if it happens it says check the level and level engine off for around 5 minutes is yours been on for awhile? i couldn't leave it running with oil light on its the worst light that could come on :/

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Also check brake fluid lvl has in a lot of cars the brake fluid is also connected to the oil warning light.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It came on last night so I drove it back home. Checked level this morning whilst engine was cold and level is fine.
I also checked all other levels aswel just to be safe and everything's fine. Guess it will be a trip to the stealers

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Had this problem 2 months back, oil indicator said I had over half full but I topped it up to no avail. A software update will solve the problem but if your car is out of warranty, you are expected to pay for the update.

My car had extended warranty but apparently it doesn't cover the update, I gave Honda UK a ring whilst the dealer conducted the update, had a friendly chat with them and they contacted the dealer there and then and said they'll cover the cost (on the basis that my car had a full Honda history).

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Also check brake fluid lvl has in a lot of cars the brake fluid is also connected to the oil warning light.
Didn't know that mate maybe it was that because soon after I did the brake pads and the level was on the min becuase the caliper piston was near its max travel so was full of fluid ill look out for that next time

[smilie=ebil-thumbu:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Double checked all levels again everything is definitely ok. Looks like it is going to be the update that is needed.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,791 Posts
Or maybe you can reset the light by disconnecting the battery negative connection for 20 minutes or so? Worth a try... if it works I'd leave it and see if it ever comes back on again.

PS - I'm assuming that it isn't an oil pressure problem? The engine isn't sounding a bit 'rattley', is it?

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
It came on last night so I drove it back home. Checked level this morning whilst engine was cold and level is fine.
I also checked all other levels aswel just to be safe and everything's fine. Guess it will be a trip to the stealers
I think with a honda you are supposed to check the oil when it is warm...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Or maybe you can reset the light by disconnecting the battery negative connection for 20 minutes or so? Worth a try... if it works I'd leave it and see if it ever comes back on again.

PS - I'm assuming that it isn't an oil pressure problem? The engine isn't sounding a bit 'rattley', is it?

I did think that myself. Will give it a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think with a honda you are supposed to check the oil when it is warm...

I always thought with any car that you only get a true reading when it's cold so the oil is in the bottom of the block. If it's warm it won't be accurate as it's all around the block?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The light has also got the "!" by it aswel which is saying it's the sensor and not the level I believe

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update on this incase it happens to anybody else......

I warmed the engine up and checked oil like the manual says, all is ok. Disconnected the battery to see if it reset the light but that didnt work.
I was all for a visit to Honda tommorrow but thought i would have one more in depth search on the forum.
I began looking through and noticed it's seems to be a mega common issue on the 2.2. I then noticed "Obd11" pop up in one thread. I never even gave it a thought to try this. Luckily I already have one. Plugged it in and like magic I could turn the light off :)

It hasn't come back on as of yet, so hopefully it's solved it. I'm guessing when Honda do the "software update" all the probably do is turn it off

Thanks for all the help and hopefully it's sorted :)

Joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts