2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you power up the Civic, the sat nav system starts booting up. Annoyingly, you can't use the reverse camera before the system has booted up.

On top of that, when you actually start the engine, the system reboots again. The guys here guessed it has to do with the power drop as the starter motor sucks all the power from the battery.

Is there anything Honda could do about this? Here's what Maxbert thought:
Maybe a capacitor wired into the circuit could fix that (yeah, like I know what the hell I'm talking about...:( )- Maybe Stef could help us out on this one? Stef, ben je daar, kerel?
If a solution becomes available, I hope it's something that can be installed afterwards to an older model as well.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm not sure here, but I think as will other cars, the power is actually cut off from everything else while starting.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Some thoughts off the top of my head without thinking it through.

Cutting power to ancillary equipment during start up is deliberate. It might be possible to power the satnav from an alternative power rail to avoid it rebooting at startup. Noise spikes on the power might be an issue here.

The satnav reboot time is around 12 seconds which I guess is a little annoying if waiting for the rv camera. The splash screen is, however, displayed immediately so a software change to display the rv camera may be possible.

Consider using a video multiplexer to feed rv video direct to screen.

All seems like too much effort.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Not got the Rev camera but I thought it worked independantly from the Sat Nav; in the same way the climate control works?
It might just be a priority thing where the Sat nav has 1st shout on the display screen.
Never really worried about the delay as we're normally seating the kids n stuff.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The splash screen is, however, displayed immediately so a software change to display the rv camera may be possible.
I'm hoping and counting on that. Unless the camera actually requires WinCE to work. Isn't that what the SatNav is built on?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Not got the Rev camera but I thought it worked independently from the Sat Nav;
I thought that but the more I use it the more it seems to be linked. You can't turn the screen off when you are in reverse like you can with the sat nav. It also disable the need to press the satnav accept before the screen goes black and it beeps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts