2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally (after a 3 months wait) my type R has been delivered. First impressions are quite good:

• Ride quality has improved quite a bit (especially compared to the previous EP3 type R); most roads here are quite good but when it gets really bad, slowing down is necessary.
  • I hear a minor squeek just above my left ear, which appears to be comming from the door rubber. Another one is coming from the dash, near the passenger side tweeter (bear in mind my steer is on the left side[smilie=cheeky-grin:)
  • Something that is really bothering me are some minor scratches/shavings in the boot. I already told my dealer when I took delivery. It does not seem hard te have two little panels replaced. Have most of you had a few scratches? Should I complain or not...
  • My 3rd gear seems OK. Compared to the other gears I can most of the times feel an extra notch, but this was also the case with my previous Civic just after having 3rd gear syncro replaced. Don't feel anything wrong with it though.
  • The extra 'hole' in the boot is poorly accessible. I'm quite concerned about scratching the boot when uncovering it.
That's about it for now:)

Cheers!

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Hey congratz on getting your Type R. Hope you really enjoy it :D

I also owned an EP3 (2004) before my current FN2 and would be very interested to hear how you think they compare.

I think this one is easier to live with on a daily basis and i have to confess to liking all the extra toys it has even if it does make it heavier.

I just love the engine note of this one too. When you vtec it, it sounds really mean :cool:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey congratz on getting your Type R. Hope you really enjoy it :D
Thanks, for now the wait has been worth it:D
I also owned an EP3 (2004) before my current FN2 and would be very interested to hear how you think they compare.
I didn't actually own one. I owned the 1.7CTDI (they are quite similar suspension wise) and have driven the EP3 about 4-5 times (I was looking to buy one at that point).
Here are my thoughts:

Suspension:

The 1.7 makes terrible (loud bonking) suspension noises on bad roads. Passengers crunshed when I hit a puddle. Softer (rain) tires made it more comfortable to some degree. Driving it on a daily basis was tirering, to say the least. They (the dealer's) told me the EP3 was even worse. I found it to be similar to my 1.7.

Now my new type R is still firm, but not really that hard. I can drive 50 km/hour in my street without have the wind knocked out:). It may very well still be firm but the ride quality has improved a lot. Is it the suspension, better seats. Perhaps it is both. Just too bad it couldn't be a more advanced suspension and better ride quality.

Interior+gears:

The shifter on the 1.7 was ill-placed in my opinion. A wee bit to high for me and gearchange was not Honda smooth. EP3 gearchanges were very smooth, about the same as the new R I would say. Both my 1.7 and the new R seem to have an extra notch when engaging 3rd gear. All the other gears seem te engage without the extra notch. Can't remember whether it was there on the EP3 (perhaps you know?)

Seats on my 1.7 offered less support than the seats on the new R. Same goes for the EP3. I do miss the softer head supports though. The R one's are like a wooden board! Overall, the new R's interior is so much more stylish and refined.

Oh, and the seatbelt rubs against the easily damaged seats. My 1.7's seats could take this but I doubt the new R's seats will manage in the long run. Seat covers anyone? Electronically adjustable seats would have been nice also...

Radio controls/airco controls are a joy in the new R. My 1.7 and the EP3 had terrible radio controls (especially the clock adjuster...). Now about that speedo...It seems to sit a little loose as I can move it a little? Is this normal?

Handling

New R is for sure more responsive and precise. I simply love it. I do feel a loss in road contact because of the better quality ride and better isolation. You're just no longer in the middle of the action with the new one. But that's okay because I love a bit more peace:). I think the EPS (electronic power steering) has improved a lot since the EP3/1.7

Trunk

Very very spacy:). But uncovering the extra 'hole' is not very fun. It scratches my trunks interior! Also the extinguisher is very badly attached. I already managed to break the thingy holding it. That thing is going down the hole:p. A plus for the extra 12v outlet. Handy for my cooled lunchbox.

I think this one is easier to live with on a daily basis and i have to confess to liking all the extra toys it has even if it does make it heavier.
So right you are. It might be a little slower but I don't care. It's very luxurious and easier on our rear ends. No hard-core R for me please:).
I just love the engine note of this one too. When you vtec it, it sounds really mean :cool:
I think I'd better not Vtec yet. Only have 150 km on the clock:rolleyes:
I can hardly hear it when idling. If you don't VTEC (I hope it sounds very mean when I VTEC:p) it is very quiet.

BTW what millage do you get? I am currently using 9.2 litres / 100 km

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Thanks for fantastic review. :D

I have to say the gear change on the EP3 was probably the best out of any car i've driven. Really quick and precise with definitley no 'extra notch' or the very occasional reluctance to engage 3rd gear.
I liked the positioning of the gear stick in the old civic - seemed a very natural place for it.
Still the problem of a very cold hand in winter and untouchable on a sunny summer day!! [smilie=cheeky-grin:

Yes the R is very quiet when idling but when you unleash the monster under the bonnet (hood?) it growls and i really love it :biggrin:
There's an interesting article in the wiki about running in. I sort of followed it and after 2000 miles my engine is loosening up nicely and has not used any oil.

I can't resist the sound it makes and watching that little red light come on so i'm only getting about 26 miles per gallon at the moment. (sorry don't know what that is in ltr/km without looking it up). I'm lucky to live in a place that has lots of empty country roads :D

·
R - 11859
625 Posts
Finally (after a 3 months wait) my type R has been delivered. First impressions are quite good:
  • Something that is really bothering me are some minor scratches/shavings in the boot. I already told my dealer when I took delivery. It does not seem hard te have two little panels replaced. Have most of you had a few scratches? Should I complain or not...
Welcome to the CTR owners forum.
I would insist on getting it replaced if is a new car. If it's 2nd hand then it's sold as seen, something you'll have to accept.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
[/list]Welcome to the CTR owners forum.
I would insist on getting it replaced if is a new car. If it's 2nd hand then it's sold as seen, something you'll have to accept.
Thanks, I've been following developments here for quite some time now.
They (at the dealer's) have this thing of damaging more than they fix. It's the panel just to the rear right from where the EHBO kit is in. I believe it is part of the section where the kit is in. Same for the right side where the tire repair stuff is located.

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Thanks, for now the wait has been worth it:D

I didn't actually own one. I owned the 1.7CTDI (they are quite similar suspension wise) and have driven the EP3 about 4-5 times (I was looking to buy one at that point).
Here are my thoughts:

Suspension:

The 1.7 makes terrible (loud bonking) suspension noises on bad roads. Passengers crunshed when I hit a puddle. Softer (rain) tires made it more comfortable to some degree. Driving it on a daily basis was tirering, to say the least. They (the dealer's) told me the EP3 was even worse. I found it to be similar to my 1.7.

Now my new type R is still firm, but not really that hard. I can drive 50 km/hour in my street without have the wind knocked out:). It may very well still be firm but the ride quality has improved a lot. Is it the suspension, better seats. Perhaps it is both. Just too bad it couldn't be a more advanced suspension and better ride quality.

Interior+gears:

The shifter on the 1.7 was ill-placed in my opinion. A wee bit to high for me and gearchange was not Honda smooth. EP3 gearchanges were very smooth, about the same as the new R I would say. Both my 1.7 and the new R seem to have an extra notch when engaging 3rd gear. All the other gears seem te engage without the extra notch. Can't remember whether it was there on the EP3 (perhaps you know?)

Seats on my 1.7 offered less support than the seats on the new R. Same goes for the EP3. I do miss the softer head supports though. The R one's are like a wooden board! Overall, the new R's interior is so much more stylish and refined.

Oh, and the seatbelt rubs against the easily damaged seats. My 1.7's seats could take this but I doubt the new R's seats will manage in the long run. Seat covers anyone? Electronically adjustable seats would have been nice also...

Radio controls/airco controls are a joy in the new R. My 1.7 and the EP3 had terrible radio controls (especially the clock adjuster...). Now about that speedo...It seems to sit a little loose as I can move it a little? Is this normal?

Handling

New R is for sure more responsive and precise. I simply love it. I do feel a loss in road contact because of the better quality ride and better isolation. You're just no longer in the middle of the action with the new one. But that's okay because I love a bit more peace:). I think the EPS (electronic power steering) has improved a lot since the EP3/1.7

Trunk

Very very spacy:). But uncovering the extra 'hole' is not very fun. It scratches my trunks interior! Also the extinguisher is very badly attached. I already managed to break the thingy holding it. That thing is going down the hole:p. A plus for the extra 12v outlet. Handy for my cooled lunchbox.

So right you are. It might be a little slower but I don't care. It's very luxurious and easier on our rear ends. No hard-core R for me please:).

I think I'd better not Vtec yet. Only have 150 km on the clock:rolleyes:
I can hardly hear it when idling. If you don't VTEC (I hope it sounds very mean when I VTEC:p) it is very quiet.

BTW what millage do you get? I am currently using 9.2 litres / 100 km
my gf makes those kind of noises too!! what can i do??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts