2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so not my Type R (in fact this was done when I still had my ST) but I thought the general process and images may be useful to some people to show what you can achieve if you take your time :)

So with the missus working on the Saturday, I dropped her off and started early at 8am with the car looking as follows (apologies for the pics and differing colour, some were in different light as the day progressed!)

Some scrapes to the rear arches

Plenty of bugs...

And some nasty scuff marks where shoes have caught the door getting past the car on her driveway...

No alloys but just horribly marked trims on the wheels

Key scratches around the door handle...

So the next part of the detail which I don’t have many pictures for involved:
  • A good rinse(!)
  • Washed with 2BM and Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II using Lambswool Wash Mitt
  • Bugs and heavy tar spots removed with a light spray of AS Tardis
  • Rinsed again to leave the following (and not much sign of protection)...

The car was then clayed using BH Autoclay and lots of water as lubricant... I only got one picture here of the bonnet which was surprisingly clean... the lower panels and doors were another matter altogether!

Car was then rewashed after claying and rinsed before drying with a super plush drying towel...

Now onto the swirls... the car through its life has hardly been washed so they weren’t as severe as some I’ve seen but still enough to warrant a good go with the DAS-6... so first to try and inspect a few of them on the bonnet...

So the car gets taped up ready for the machine polishing stage...

After a small trial on the bonnet as so, I settled on using a white HexLogic polishing pad with Menzerna Power Finish (PO203S) on the hard VAG paint. This left me with the following 50/50 after one pass (right side corrected)...

So on with the rest of the bonnet, leaving me with...

And the right offside arch polished... along with too many detailing tips from Baker21 it seems... flipflops!!

Right hand side finished...

Roof reflection shot...

View from right rear with lights polished...

At this point I continued with the car as it was already approaching 3pm and I’d only done half the car! After many a brew and conversations with bemused passer by’s, I cracked on with washing the plastic wheel trims before applying CGs Ez-Creme Glaze and JetSeal109 to the entire car with a black HexLogic finishing pad...

I then finished up by cleaning the windows with the Carlack Glass Polish and Sealant kit (great stuff!!) and dressing all the plastic trim around the car with CG New Look Trim Gel – which was also used onthe tyres.

This left me with the following at 6pm – 9 hours after I’d started, and just before I had to go and pick the girlfriend back up from her shift!

Needless to say she was happy with the car when she got it back and complained it was a bit too shiny!! My next job is to tackle the Type R...

I’d definitely be interested in hooking up with others for a detailing session should anyone wish to for a few beers and to share knowledge and tips! I’m in Oxfordshire but always willing to drive out and about for a meet up!

Hopefully you enjoyed reading and I hope to get more up soon with a bit more info and piccies.

Cheers!

Matt.

·
everythings upsy daisy.
1,442 Posts
wow mate thats fantastic, I bet you cant wait to get at the honda!!! The VW looks better than new!!:cool:

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
thats fantastic mate, ill be in slough in october, fancy giving mine a going over ;)

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Wow! so shiny

I’d definitely be interested in hooking up with others for a detailing session should anyone wish to for a few beers and to share knowledge and tips! I’m in Oxfordshire but always willing to drive out and about for a meet up!
I think we need an Oxfordshire meet :D
Im not too far away and could really do with a few tips.

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
Great job mate.
Das 6 pro is the best machine for VW hard paint. Honda's paint is much easier to get scratched but easier to get corrected

Reactions: Anatonic

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers all - I think if the weather holds out tomorrow I'll start by getting my engine bay in the FN2 detailed... it's a little worse for wear at the minute and could do with a spruce up. I'll be sure to get pictures for a writeup...

Mind you, I got the chance to blast to Worcester and back today via the A44 and the car needs a good wash, but my lord it was great to have some time to really enjoy it!

R-2 - I bet keeping that Mugen 200 clean is fun! I LOVE CW though and it really shouts 'Honda'. I'm helping a friend from work detail his Clio 200 tomorrow which is also white... and after some recent 'pothole-fixing' at the airport where we work, there is tons of tar on his car - nothing tardis can't take care of and a good wash before we clay it... but I'll see if I can get a writeup of that done... may be useful!

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Mind you, I got the chance to blast to Worcester and back today via the A44 and the car needs a good wash, but my lord it was great to have some time to really enjoy it!

R-2 - I bet keeping that Mugen 200 clean is fun! I LOVE CW though and it really shouts 'Honda'. I'm helping a friend from work detail his Clio 200 tomorrow which is also white... and after some recent 'pothole-fixing' at the airport where we work, there is tons of tar on his car - nothing tardis can't take care of and a good wash before we clay it... but I'll see if I can get a writeup of that done... may be useful!
I live just south of Worcester! Bet you had a very good blast along the A44.

Yes tar spots are a real problem so any advice on how to deal with them is very welcome. Im a bit of a noob at anything other than your standard wash and wax.
A white car is a real pig to keep clean, much worse than the black FN2 i had before. I do love it though :D

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
That looks AWESOME!

Great job buddy!

·
AKA - Vin Petrol
1,821 Posts
Perfect.

·
Administrator
15,518 Posts
I live just south of Worcester! Bet you had a very good blast along the A44.

Yes tar spots are a real problem so any advice on how to deal with them is very welcome. Im a bit of a noob at anything other than your standard wash and wax.
A white car is a real pig to keep clean, much worse than the black FN2 i had before. I do love it though :D
autosmart tardis will get rid of your tar spots mate

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
Thats sooo cool dude..what would you use for hondas with softer paints?

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
Looking good!

I have a quick question, did you manage to get rid of the key scrapes around the door handle? I have quite a few from my mums rings that really pi** me off when I look at them.

Any advice on what I should do with them?

·
everythings upsy daisy.
1,442 Posts
Looking good!

I have a quick question, did you manage to get rid of the key scrapes around the door handle? I have quite a few from my mums rings that really pi** me off when I look at them.

cut them off!! lol;)

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi,

Nice job...
Now use your power in CIVICs!!! not with this German thing
Haha - true I need to get my CTR done - and it embarasses me. The garage I bought it from had their valeters on it and it's got terrible buffer trails and marring all over the paintwork... I really have my work cut out to get it right! :(

Thats sooo cool dude..what would you use for hondas with softer paints?
Since doing the detail above, I've invested in a rotary and a number of different pads and polishes as well so I'm yet unsure what I'll use.

To be honest, with the paint being soft, I can probably use some 3M Perfect-It with a little 3M Ultrafina blobbed on too to get some oils in there to stop it drying up on a longer set. All this on a yellow polishing pad and I reckon I'd get near 100% correction and it finishes down nicely if you work it on a slightly longer set (hence the Ultrafina to stop it drying out). I'm trialling some Scholl Concepts S17+ polish and so I may try for this as a one-stop enhancement and see what results I get.

I've just found some Clearkote Red Moose Glaze as well lying around which I rate along with Chemical Guys EZ Creme on red cars. I'll probably use some of this also after polishing to help bring the gloss out and then seal it off with JetSeal or maybe Best Of Show wax (being that we're in summer... I usually save the high durability sealants for winter months).

If you're doing it by hand I reckon you'd get pretty good results with some Dodo Juice Lime Prime - it won't get correction like you do by machine - though you'd get 80% at least using machine to apply it as it does have abrasives. However, by hand I reckon it'd do a cracking job - it's also got glaze oils in it which gives it a good 'all rounder' type of product. Just top it off with a wax and it'd be happy days!

Looking good!

I did indeed get rid of them - though on the VW paint (which I found was rock hard!!) it took a bit of persuasion. I had to use a spot polishing pad on my DAS6 - think it was a green Hexlogic pad, and some Menzerna Intensive Polish (PO85 RD) - two or three sets on this took about 4 microns of paint off but it made the scratches almost invisible. Rounded them off enough anyway to stop them being as visible.

For inside the recess of the handle, I did these by hand using Lime Prime and kept at it for about 20 minutes with a hand polishing pad and it brought it up a treat. I remember they were still SLIGHTLY visible, but nowhere near as bad as they were and only if you looked for them.

If I get a chance, I'll do a video of the CTR when I come round to doing it in a couple of weeks time. Good to show people and gives my mate a chance to practice his filming skills! Also to show what products and the order in which things were done :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts