2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a type r/seeker fin sprayed and fitted a couple of months ago.

Just noticed this as show in the pictures.

It looks as though the seeker fin has pulled the paint off the type r spoiler. I've tried moving the seeker fin, but it's pretty solid and not budging.

First thing I notice is that I can see the red (the original spoiler colour) showing under the black paint. I thought that would have been sanded down prior to being painted black, or am I mistaken?

Can I take it back to the sprayer and expect it to be sorted out for free? Or is is acceptable he charges for the additional work to rectify this?

I'd be happy with just a quick spray of that area to conceal the red, really.

Thoughts?

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
You have paid for a job and its not perfect id be knocking on the door personally mate.
Wardy

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, I'm going to drive over, hopefully tomorrow during lunch and show him it, see what he says.

Just want to know a bit about it so I can stand my ground a little better.

Should he have sanded the original paint off before spraying it black, or is just spraying over it an acceptable method? Could that have caused the paint to peel like it has, as opposed to if the red had been sanded off first?

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
You should always prepare the surface before painting anything really id have though he would have sanded it lightly first for a key if nothing else.
Wardy

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Thanks. The paint underneath looks untouched, so I'll bring that up when I see him.
I would also suggest you consider how much you paid for the job.

If it was "mates rates" you probably don't have a leg to stand on but if you paid the going rate then, in my view, you have a pretty strong case for a proper re-spray.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Think Dougie175 on here knows a thing or to about spray jobs Craig. Maybe drop him a pm, he might of missed the thread.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
i had a touch up not to long ago and i got a line of blame my way as i use waxes and sealants.[smilie=nope.gif]

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would also suggest you consider how much you paid for the job.

If it was "mates rates" you probably don't have a leg to stand on but if you paid the going rate then, in my view, you have a pretty strong case for a proper re-spray.
No, it was the going rate. He's done a few repairs for scratches on my car before, so took it there for this to be done.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,767 Posts
Mine is with sikaflex. Others just use double sided 3m tape.
it looks to me like the bonding used as detached itself slightly from the edges causing the poorly prepped R spoiler paint to be lifted was this painted by the same painter? if it wasn't he will blame the other painter bad prep..

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it looks to me like the bonding used as detached itself slightly from the edges causing the poorly prepped R spoiler paint to be lifted was this painted by the same painter? if it wasn't he will blame the other painter bad prep..
The guy who painted it also bonded it on.

I tried moving that part of the seeker fin, as I thought it had come loose, too, but I couldn't get it to move at all. Not even a slight give one way or the other, so I'm happy that it's still attached pretty well. Really just needs that area sorting out, as it just looks like a bad job now.

But you could be right in that the sikaflex on the edges has lifted the paint, as the way the paint is looks as though something has pulled it off, as oppose to it flaking or scratched off.

Thanks, deni. Didn't think of that!

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took it down to him and showed and he said he'd touch it up and sort it out.

A bit annoyed he didn't sand it down before spraying, like he said he was going g to do, so don't think I'll be using him again for any other respray jobs.

Guess I'll see what it looks like after the touch up, as the other areas are fine. It's so hard to find good, local garages!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts