2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question in the Tomtom thread but thought is warranted it's own place....

Since the satnav in my EX can't warn when near cameras or accident blackspots I wondered if you guys could recommend a device that works good and also looks the part on the civic dash or integrates well?

Any thoughts?

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Road Angel Plus is the best one out there.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
my old, but reliable Snooper S6RNeo does the job for me, and nicely fits the dash :)

Even better since I changed it for the + version which has a blue LCD screen :D

Attachments

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Love the little 'smiley' reminds me of this:

Attachments

·
Mondeo Mann is here!!
1,333 Posts
My dad uses a Talex. Used to have a road angel till it got nicked, but he prefers the Talex system

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
camera detection

I have already posted this but in case you missed it i will repeat, i have a cheetah mirror that i have actually fitted into the small cupboard that holds the jack, the receiver is attached to the wheel arch inside the boot.and the unit plugs into the socket in the boot. It had a small speaker that i removed and extended the cable to a new speaker fitted on the parcel shelf. It gives audible warnings in a female voice and is neat and tidy with no wires showing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Novus looks cool but can only run from direct power, not sure if I'm brave enough yet to start running wires around the dash, hadn't thought about mounting anything in the rear though, that certainly has possibilities!

The blue lighting of the Road Angel would probably go best with the lighting in the Ex??

Is there any other (optional) battery driven, blue display units available?

Thanks for all the replies, makes interesting reading.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use a Snooper S5R which does the job for gatsos. I recommend not going down the cheapo £20-£50 ebay jobs as I got one and it was utterly useless. Both the snooper and the cheapo were unable to detect cop vans prolaser 3. I tried several times to get a warning tone but nothing happened.

·
Civic's got Big Booty !
184 Posts
Heres a vote for the snooper sapphire, rechargeable and accurate !

·
Super Moderator
21,035 Posts
I also run a TalexLite.

There is a problem though, some months ago the Talex directors had a disagreement and the company went into administration. Both directors started new companies, both using the ex-Talex hardware. One is Novus and the other is Talex technology.

It is alleged that neither database is now anywhere near as up-to-date as it used to be and I can confirm that:

There is a new RedSpeed camera right outside my office. It has been there about 4 weeks and so far neither Novus or Talex have it on their latest databases (v 8035).

If I was buying new and considering the arm & a leg prices most of these companies seem to want for subscriptions I would consider a TT1 v3 or TT1XL and utilise the camera database from PocketGPSWorld which is very accurate and up to date and very easy to install. You can also use the PGPSW voice files on the TT's so you get verbal warnings so you don't need to take your eyes off the road.

The new RedSpeed camera is pending inclusion on the next PGPSW database release as is the other new Gatso camera just down the road.

As for wiring in a Talex, it is a breeze. My method was to remove the centre console, cut the two wires leading to the ciggy lighter and rejoin them with those chocolate block style connectors. Then run the Talex lead as a spur from this connector under the dash and out via the side triangle piece.
Not forgetting to use an in-line fuse on the power side.

One word of caution, when replacing the 'triangle' don't bash it back because you can trigger the fuel cut-off which is just behind it requiring a manual reset (like I did :oops:).

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,178 Posts
Heres a vote for the snooper sapphire, rechargeable and accurate !
I HAVE ONE OF THESE, NICE AND SMALL AND NO WIRES ALL OVER THE DASH.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine doesn't have any wires, is small and self contained and even has a backup system in the event of failure - basically, two independent sensors. I've found it to be very efficient both at home and abroad and, so far, has needed no updates other than a change to the lensing system. It's safe from theft and very cheap.

·
Registered
337 Posts
my old, but reliable Snooper S6RNeo does the job for me, and nicely fits the dash :)

Even better since I changed it for the + version which has a blue LCD screen :D
Brilliantly TTDegs. Is the detector itself behind the bumper? How do you get it done!

In Belgium these things are very much illegal. By my knowledge only Stringer and Beltronics produce undetectable detectors.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts